Normal Topic Q&A translate - Sesame cut off Text fields? (Read 1920 times)
Robert

Q&A translate - Sesame cut off Text fields?
Oct 28th, 2014 at 2:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Have a user that says his Q&A comments field (text type in DTF file) is cut short after the field was translated to Sesame.  Could there be something in those comment fields?  They mentioned being able to press the enter key in the field so when they mail merged the file it would create a wrap on the output.  Maybe the Sesame converter is hitting that during translation and stopping translation of that field?  I'm not sure what to tell them since everything I've searched on says it should be basically unlimited (although you'd want to stop at 32K because if they want to write a book then we need to figure out something else.)

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Q&A translate - Sesame cut off Text fields?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 4:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is the data there but just not displaying due to size restrictions on the element? If they press F6 while in the element does they see all the data?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Robert

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 7:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
I managed to confirm that it indeed pulled all the data over in the long text fields.  I went into the element on the screen and pressed Ctl+A to select everything and then pasted that into notepad.  Then I compared that with the same record in Q&A and it matches.  I think the issue they are having is when you're in the field and you press "End" on the keyboard it doesn't actually go to the end.

In a few days I'll be reformatting the layout of the screen and giving fields more room so hopefully then it will all be visible.  For now I'm not touching the screen layout because it was 10 pages of Q&A screens with at least 100 fields and since I'm still having to export/import from Q&A  I don't want to get the field order out of alignment and have to match up the import manually.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2014 at 7:01am
Print Post Print Post  
Just copy the current form (layout) in Designer. Name it something like "Original Q&A Layout" so you remember what its purpose was. Then, you can redesign the main form without worry.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged