Normal Topic Utilities - Take Command, Bulk Rename, RichCopy (Read 2862 times)
Rick_R

Utilities - Take Command, Bulk Rename, RichCopy
Mar 26th, 2011 at 4:12am
Print Post Print Post  
These aren't either Sesame or QA, but I find them useful and they're free.

www.jpsoft.com Take Command, Lite Edition.  This is basically what DOS would be if Microsoft had continued active development.  It is a lot easier to program than PowerShell.  I prefer the non-free version, which allows user-defined functions and a lot more.  Years ago this was known as NDOS with the Norton Utilities and 4DOS.

www.BulkRenameUtility.co.uk  I regularly use the Windows version and find it incredibly useful.  I just noticed that there is also a command-line version.

RichCopy.exe from Microsoft.  This is basically XCopy on steroids, with a Windows interface but it can fully run from the command line.  We use it (in conjunction with Take Command LE) to "back up" by just outright copying everything on our two servers to the removable backup drive.  It can run multi-threaded, so it can copy, e.g., 25 files simultaneously, and unlike most copy programs if there is a problem with one file the entire copy process doesn't stop.  (We actually start the program twice, one instance copying one server and the second copying the other at the same time.)

All of these could be called from Sesame using @CreateAProcess(), @ASynchShell() or @Shell() as appropriate to do maintenance or other specialized activities (such as periodically renaming a large group of non-DB files and moving them to an archive area).
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2011 at 10:06pm by Rick_R »  

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: Utilities - Windows 7 Classic Start Menu
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2011 at 5:06am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm finally warming up to Windows 7.  On previous versions, the first thing I did was switch to Classic Start Menu and that was removed in Win 7.

I have found a free system that works well, available at SourceForge: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/.  I highly recommend it.

IP Logged