Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [RESOLVED] Server has detected a low memory issue (Read 7440 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

[RESOLVED] Server has detected a low memory issue
Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
We've been getting this message a lot lately, and it usually results in a crash of the server with all applications locked. It happens often when I export or import a large batch of records. (more than 10,000 records.)

Our server is running Dual Xeon Quad-based processors on a 128GB SSD Drive. Memory installed is 8GB with Task Manager showing 6GB free.

What is causing this and how do we prevent this?

Sidenote, it appears that Sesame only runs on 1 or 2 of the CPU cores, and users are often 'waiting' on sesame to finish a big mass update, or import/export. Can we speed things up a bit?
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2011 at 3:22pm by Hammer »  
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Server has detected a low memory issue...CRASH
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 3:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:51pm:
We've been getting this message a lot lately, and it usually results in a crash of the server with all applications locked. It happens often when I export or import a large batch of records. (more than 10,000 records.)

Our server is running Dual Xeon Quad-based processors on a 128GB SSD Drive. Memory installed is 8GB with Task Manager showing 6GB free.

What is causing this and how do we prevent this?

Sesame is a 32 bit application. As such, it can only use 2 GB on Windows and 4 GB on Linux. If you have 8 GB, it becomes more likely that it can use that full amount, because it need not share as much with other applications, the OS, etc. Are you importing/exporting 10,000 total records, or 10,000 parent records (and many children per parent)?

Quote:
Sidenote, it appears that Sesame only runs on 1 or 2 of the CPU cores, and users are often 'waiting' on sesame to finish a big mass update, or import/export. Can we speed things up a bit?

Sesame server will use one "main" thread, two additional threads per connected client, and then a new thread for each command issued to the server. It is up to the OS to allocate processors to these threads. It may be that the communications threads are running on separate processors, but are waiting around for messages to come in, so they don't use much CPU time. Identical commands, like those that comprise an import or an export, can't run in parallel. So you may be waiting, if you have lengthy commands that everyone is attempting to run at the same time. The more diverse the activity, the more parallel Sesame server will become, because you don't have different command threads competing for the same resources, and having to wait for each other.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 11:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

Thanks for the info. We finally graduated from several Q&A databases into a couple of mammoth sized Sesame applications. So now that we have all of our 'eggs in one basket', I'm concerned about these server issues.

The 10,000 + records that I import/export are all parent records. No child records in this batch. Usually, if I try to export or import more than 18,000 records, it will always crash the server, so I have to export in small batches. What a pain.

Regarding the 'wait time'; Most of our users have buttons on their forms to run xlookups and xpost into other databases throughout the day. Should we look into limiting xlookups in our office, or perhaps sit tight and hope for a 64-bit version of sesame?

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 12:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 9th, 2010 at 11:30pm:
Mark,

Thanks for the info. We finally graduated from several Q&A databases into a couple of mammoth sized Sesame applications. So now that we have all of our 'eggs in one basket', I'm concerned about these server issues.

The 10,000 + records that I import/export are all parent records. No child records in this batch. Usually, if I try to export or import more than 18,000 records, it will always crash the server, so I have to export in small batches. What a pain.

How much actually data is exported, in bytes? How many fields per record?

Quote:
Regarding the 'wait time'; Most of our users have buttons on their forms to run xlookups and xpost into other databases throughout the day. Should we look into limiting xlookups in our office, or perhaps sit tight and hope for a 64-bit version of sesame?

Thanks,
Steve

There is a 64 bit version of Sesame 3.0. No release date yet. 64 bits will allow you to make better use of your RAM, which in your case will speed things up. Are you swapping?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2010 at 3:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

I can successfully export 55,679 records when running standalone, or client/server on MY PC only with no other aps loaded, but not in client/server with several aps loaded across our wired network. My export file is 43MB and contains 106 fields from a flat database.

I don't know how to tell if the server is swapping, but I'll learn up on that and get back to you. (unless you know an easy way to tell).

Thanks!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 4:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 10th, 2010 at 3:42pm:
Mark,

I can successfully export 55,679 records when running standalone, or client/server on MY PC only with no other aps loaded, but not in client/server with several aps loaded across our wired network. My export file is 43MB and contains 106 fields from a flat database.

I don't know how to tell if the server is swapping, but I'll learn up on that and get back to you. (unless you know an easy way to tell).

Thanks!

A flat database shouldn't be accumulating much memory at all on an export. There must be something else going on here. Was this database ever not flat?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 5:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
The database is a Q&A translation. It has no subforms, but I may have added, and then deleted a subform long ago; I don't recall.

Let me know if there is something I can do to test or rebuild the 'integrity' of the database.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 7:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
You could watch the server process in task manager or one of the sysinternals tools while it is performing the export to see how its memory usage is expanding.

If you believe that there is a structural problem, you could dump all of the data to a text file, retranslate/rebuild the application with no data, then reload the data. Make a backup first.

If you wish, I could take a look at it this weekend. Compress the .db and .dat files using zip and email them to me (laser@HammerVE.com) or support (support@lantica.com).

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark. I'm emailing it now 12.8MB zipped. No problem if you can't get to it.

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 8:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
I ran some preliminary tests and don't see any significant or out-of-scale memory usage. Did you try monitoring it on your server using task manager? Keep your eyes open for any task (not just Sesame) that is swelling its memory usage as Sesame is exporting. Are you running any kind of file scanner (like a virus scanner) that might be reacting poorly while a file is being written? Also, during the export, there are two stages. One while it prepares for export and then the actual export. During which of these stages does the memory event happen?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 8:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'll watch it this week and let you know.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, Task manager had nothing unusual to report. During the export of all fields, for 1/2 of the records in my database, Sesame memory usage climbed from 430,000K to 550,000K, then dropped back down when finished.

The performance meters showed total CPU usage move from 4% to 20%, then back to 4%. PF Usage seems to remain steady at 1.99 GB.

There is not much else running on this server, and no programs 'swelled' in memory usage during the import/export. Also, I did not get the 'memory low' message today. Perhaps the weekend reboot kept the issue at bay.

I'll monitor it throughout the week.

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 1:22am
Print Post Print Post  
update: I tried to export ALL records. about 60% through the 'preperation phase', The server crashed. Sesame client only reported that it lost connection.

I watched memory usage in Task Manager (on the server, as before) and it stayed within the numbers I reported earlier, but I did notice 'dumpprep.exe' showed up on the list just prior to the crash.

Any thoughts?

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 2:05am
Print Post Print Post  
update again:

on the Server computer, in standalone mode: I exported all records (2 batches to avoid a crash.) Deleted all records from sesame. Imported all records back in (both batches). Tried to export ALL records...crashed!

(Server log shows 'out of memory')

I give up.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 1:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
I see two mysteries here. Why is your server using 400~500 MB of memory. When I run the same app, my computer ranges between 80 Mb and 200 Mb for an export. When the export completes, the memory is returned. And second, even if it is using 500 MB of memory, why is that an out-of-memory condition, when there should be between 1.5 GB and 4 GB available.

I assume you are seeing the same behavior on any machine you try?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 5:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, I failed to mention that Sesame server does use about 80MB of memory when only the Inven-test.db ap is loaded. But we also load 3 other (larger) aps as well, which pushes the memory usage of sesame server upwards of around 500MB.

However, the second issue may be worth investigating; on our server pc, the sesame server GUI seems to always shows 'Physical Memory Remaining' at a constant 4,294,967,295 which is exactly the same number as the 'virtual memory remaining' shown just below it.

on my Windows 7 PC (xeon 2ghz 64-bit with 4GB memory) with the same aps loaded in client/server configuration:

Sesame server GUI shows an ever changing "Physical Memory Remaining' number. (currently at 1,838,039,040) and Virtual Mem. Remain' at 4,294,967,295.

Of note, on the server computer:
In Windows setting, 'processor scheduling' is set to 'background services', instead of 'programs'.
Also, 'Memory Usage' is set to 'system cache' instead of 'programs'.
'Virtual memory' page file is set to 'system managed' and is recommended 12,285MB but is currently set to 8190MB.

on my pc:
Processor scheduling is set to 'programs'
virtual memory recommended is 6139MB, but currently set to 'system managed' at 4,093MB.

Do you think our server has a memory issue and is ALWAYS swapping?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 6:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve, I think we may be seeing a fault at the point where the 32 bit application and 64 bit operating system meet. Sesame is checking for memory based on a 32 bit value. The operating system reports the amount, but - because it is large, it exceeds the bit space of a 32 bit integer and "rolls over" to a negative number. My only hesitancy here is that I have a 64 bit computers as well, running Vista and Ubuntu Linux for 64 bits and have never seen this.

I will double check the code for 32 bit variables trying to hold 64 bit values. In the meantime, I would suggest that you set some of your server's settings closer to those on a box that is not having this problem and see if that has any effect.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 6:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
On my windows 7 pc, I was able to export ALL records without crashing! That is great to see.

I'll change the memory and cpu settings on the server machine to mimic my windows 7 machine and report back soon.

Thanks again!

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #18 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 7:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
We crashed again while trying to load Sdesigner in addition to our other aps. Since everyone was disconnected, I took the opportunity to change the server pc settings to match my pc  (system memory and processor now set to 'programs') and rebooted the machine.

With all aps unlocked and loaded back up, I don't see any difference, except the windows console is a bit sluggish to respond (not a problem). Also, the sesame GUI again shows 'physical memory remaining' unchanging at 4,294,967,295, matching 'Virtual memory remaining'...quite different than my windows 7 pc. (both machines are 64bit OS).

I hope we are getting close to finding the culprit.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #19 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
I found a culprit, though I am not sure if it is "the" culprit. MS's original function to return memory information is very unhappy with machines with more than 2 GB and can report the numbers back incorrectly. They have an "extended" function that is supposed to fix this problem. They have a strange habit of adding new functions rather than fixing the old ones.

So, I changed Sesame to use the newer function. It will be in the next release. However, I can't really see how this is likely to be causing the problem. This is used to report the amount of memory available and throw a warning if the numbers get very low, which may account for your erroneous warning. But, it doesn't actually change any behavior if it does throw the warning. The only place these number get used, as opposed to simply shown, is when you are loading an application file. It determines whether you need to use an incremental load routine.

But it may be that you are actually running out of memory that a 32 bit program can address and, because the original function can't deal with more than 2 GB, it isn't reporting correctly that memory is that low. Tomorrow, I will look into the export routine for any memory hogs. You should look through the other programs running on that server (using task manager) and see if there any that are extra-large.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #20 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Other programs running on the server pc seem to use very little memory. The second biggest memory user is SearchIndexer.exe using 125K and then w3dbsmgr.exe using 76K and then Outlook.exe using 50K

Taskmgr shows total 'available' memory at 6.8GB and 'system cache' at 1.3 GB

Kernal memory shows total at 100,300 and paged 60,260 and nonpaged 40,000.

Seems like we have plenty of memory just waiting to be used.

I've never been keen to having all of our aps loaded into one sesame server. In the case of a crash in one database, everything hits the floor. Can we launch a second sesame server on this pc to run some of our bigger aps? They will need to have xlookups run between them, which would cause issues?

Thanks.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 9:14pm:
Can we launch a second sesame server on this pc to run some of our bigger aps? They will need to have xlookups run between them, which would cause issues?

You can run multiple Sesame servers on one computer. Which would normally allow each of the Sesame servers more memory. Simply, assign each to a different set of ports. X commands will be a problem and will likely result in a similar use of memory.

Can you give me a run down of all of the apps/databases you are running, file sizes and "in-memory" sizes?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #22 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 12:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, here is list of our aps that load into one sesame server:

I restarted the sesame server gui and loaded up each ap, making notes of 'mem usage' from task manager on the server.

Orders.db
Filesize 166MB 
Mem usage 190MB

Products.db
Filesize 144MB
Mem usage 166MB

Inven-test.db
Filesize 63MB
Mem usage 70MB

Stock.db
filesize 10MB
mem usage 12MB

OldSales.db (only used occasionally. contains 353,000 records. no X commands.)
Filesize 189MB
Mem usage 226MB
(sesame.exe mem usage swelled to 1GB during loading phase.)

With the above aps loaded, Mem usage is sitting at 664K and issues begin to snowball....

Now that these aps are loaded, I cannot get an additional client window to appear to load the zipcodes ap. Connections show 9 of 13 (but I only have 5 client GUI's 'visible' on my pc.)

After closing all sesame clients, connections shows 4 of 13. Don't know how to release the 4 that are still 'connected'. (This happens often.)

Will run same test on my windows 7 pc.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #23 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 1:09am
Print Post Print Post  
On my Windows 7 pc. I was able to load all of the above, including an additional ap (a backup of my Products.db.) However, after loading 6 aps, I cannot get another client GUI to appear. As before, client seats are maxed out, but with only 6 'visible' connections out of 13 max)

Taskmanager shows Sesame.exe mem usage at 845K steady.

Sesame server GUI shows physical mem remaining: 1,510,281,200

Are we getting warmer? (should I run the same test on a 32-bit OS?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #24 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 2:40am
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry to put you through all of this, but I am getting truly perplexed. Could you please try some experiments? First, try to connect your max number of clients without loading any apps. After they have connected, disconnect them making sure the connection count goes down with each. If that goes as it should, try the same test with any one of the more likely suspect apps loaded. If that goes well, try loading all of the apps that are regularly loaded, but do not open any forms (do you have any "application open" programming?) and see how that goes.

From the numbers you are telling me, it sounds like you are approaching but not exceeding the 1 GB mark. We have quite a few customers with much larger applications with many more connections, so I am still suspicious that something more is going on here than mere size, especially in light of the network connection problem you are outlining.

If you do have a 32 bit OS machine that is not otherwise occupied, it might be worth a few moments to see how it compares. It might be worth a moment to get Ray or Ben on your server with remote desktop so they can see this first hand. Or, if you prefer, send in all the apps (neatly packaged) and I will run them on my machine, which sounds very similar to yours, and hopefully will exhibit the same symptoms.

BTW: Does your server log indicate any problems?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #25 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, no problem running these tests. We're at the point that we NEED to spend the time figuring out this issue. I'm grateful for your help.

I'll run these tests tonight when I have full use of the server. I'll get back to you.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #26 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 2:44am
Print Post Print Post  
OK Mark, per your request, here are the results of my test....

In client/server mode serving from the windows server 2003 computer: (i have 13 client seats.)

With no aps loaded, all 13 client GUI's loaded and unloaded with no problems.

I loaded Orders.db and then opened 12 additional client gui's. All 12 opened and closed with no problem. (this one has 'application open programming', which also loaded a tiny db called Pers.db)

Loaded Products.db, in addition to orders.db. 11 client gui's opened and closed just fine. (this also has ap open programming)

Loaded Inven-test.db in addition to above two db's. 10 client's opened and closed fine. (has a default form, but no ap open programming)

Loaded Stock.db and 9 clients opened and closed fine.

Ran the same test for Oldsales.db, 8 clients opened and closed fine.

Loaded zipcodes.db (wow! couldn't do this last night.) but then could not open any new client GUI's but server shows I am connecting each time I launch from icon.

closed Zipcodes.db client, and it released from the sever (as per server admin panel>unload application) and I could then open up another client GUI to load zipcodes again. I'm now showing 13 connections at the server, with only 6 client GUI's on my desktop.

I closed all my GUI's and sesame shows 8 of 13 connections. I am able to open FOUR new client Gui's. Closed them all. Sesame server now shows 9 of 13 connections.

I opened 4 more client GUI's and then they all closed and sesame server closed and popped up numerous (probably 13) notices on my desktop that the client was no longer communicating with the server.

I repeated the above test, loading zipcodes.db third in the list of aps.

After loading zipcodes.db, and then Oldsales.db. Getting a new GUI to open is getting hairy now. one gui did not open, but the next one did.

After loading Orders.db, I can't get any more GUI's. Sesame memory in taskmgr on the server shows 650,000K. Sesame server shows 13 connections. I have 7 GUI's visible on my desktop.

I can run the same test on a 32bit machine tomorrow and I'm fine with any other steps you think we should take. We need to figure this out, so just let me know what's next.

Thanks again for all your time.

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #27 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 2:51am
Print Post Print Post  
ps. I dont know what to look for in the server log, but I do see this:

"Check connection call failed."

Also, upon shutting down this test, I had to use the admin panel to 'shutdown sesame server' it would not respond for several minutes then finally crashed and popped up several notices about network communication errors and such. Happened to fast to write it all down.

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #28 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 1:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
After some experiments here, and with the numbers you have posted, I am forming a picture. I can create similar symptoms if I take memory usage to extremes. I opened 24 different copies of your app, using 24 clients. Then, with Sesame server memory on the edge of 2 GB of usage, I kicked off enough exports to kick the usage over 2 GB. At which point, memory allocations start to fail and, because the conditions are notably controlled, the failures were noted and logged, I can see how in some cases they could result in a dropped connections and communications cessation. Basically, if there is no memory, there is no memory to use to report that there is no memory.

When you report memory usage of Sesame server from task manager, are you reporting the column labeled, "Working Set (Memory)"?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #29 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I sent you an email with a screenshot.

I don't think Windows server 2003 has a 'working set' column. Instead, it's labeled 'Mem Usage'.

Thanks.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #30 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:08pm:
I sent you an email with a screenshot.

I don't think Windows server 2003 has a 'working set' column. Instead, it's labeled 'Mem Usage'.

Thanks.

Did you send it directly to me or to support? I didn't see it go by.

In Task Manager there should be an option in the View menu to add or remove columns in the process table. One of the columns you can add is working set.

I thought you were on Windows 7.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #31 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, email has been resent. Windows Server does not have that column name, as far as I can tell.

Sesame is setup on Windows Server 2003, which is where I ran most of our test (including last nights test.) I moved everything to windows 7 temporarily,per your suggestion, but had same effects.

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,
I found what may be the cause of some, if not all, of your issues. It has very little to do with memory consumption. It has to do with simultaneous exports. I am looking for a solution. Can you tell me a little about the exports you are doing?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #33 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good to hear, Mark. We do move a lot of data in and out of Sesame, but most of it is done from mass updates that write to text files using filewriteln and fileovewrite commands. Not too much using export and import commands.

Once per night, I export all fields from all records from Inven-Test.db (you have a copy) using the button at the bottom of the inven form labeled 'export all records'. The command button simply loads and runs a saved export spec called 'export all records'. I then import the data into Q&A (for the one user that hasn't graduated to sesame yet) Smiley

Also, about once per week, I delete all records from Stock.db (about 9000 records) and export SOME of the fields from inven-test.db to import into Stock.db database.

However, a few times per week, we import from a text file into a db called 'import tool.db'. to facilitate a LOT of xlookups into that database from Products.db. (updating stock and pricing information from the import tool.db)

Many times per day, we run a mass update using filewriteln command, to write a text file/

I don't think we  run many SIMULTANOUS import/exports. Perhaps the memory is not being freed up AFTER an export? Also, recall that just ONE export of all my records was causing a crash. (see my original post)

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Server detected a low memory issue..RESOLVED
Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 10:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Update: Moving the Sesame server from a Windows computer to Linux (Ubuntu version) has cured our memory issue, connection issues, as well as a few other headaches we were having with large, complex applications. The speed of sesame has also increased substantially.

Steve

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #35 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 2:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the update. Lots of great info.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: [RESOLVED] Server has detected a low memory is
Reply #36 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 4:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
To be a bit more precise, Mark did send me a beta version 2.5.3 that fixed a memory issue during exports, but we still had other problems with clients connecting to the server after several large aps were loaded. We finally moved to Linux and the issues were gone (and we went back to version 2.5.2).

I'll post more about sesame on Linux, as we give it more time to test.

Steve

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #37 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 4:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
OS commands such as @Shell ( ), CreateAProcess ( ), RedirectProcess ( ) and @Asynchshell ( ), how are they handled in Linux? Do you find enough utility programs for Linux to do the job outside of Sesame with those commands?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #38 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
The OS commands in Sesame are themselves completely cross-platform and operate identically on both operating systems. The OS commands they represent originated on Unix. Remember that Unix has always been (since the late 1960s) multi-user and multi-process. Windows is still only single user and only gained multi-process capabilities with Windows 95.  It was not truly multi-process until NT. Additionally, concepts like redirection of I/O and command shells both come from Unix.

Linux has much more software available for it than Windows does. Unfortunately, it tends to be either free (most of it is "open-source") or very expensive. But, generally, for every Windows package there are several Linux alternatives. Many of them are much better, though harder to learn, than the Windows program. Where Linux really shines is in utilities. Linux comes with 600-3000 utility programs and there are several hundred thousand available online.

Where Linux falls well behind Windows is in hardware support. Because MS makes companies sign exclusive use agreements, and Windows is very popular in the US, many hardware manufacturers do not make Linux drivers for their hardware. So it can be difficult to get a printer or a camera working with Linux. Fortunately, the Linux community is very active and often writes 3rd-party drivers for popular devices. Also, because Linux uses a standard driver format, the drivers are not subject to the proprietary mess over on Windows.

But, with all that said, SBasic usually runs on the clients, not the server, so I doubt Steve is running into any issues with these commands.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #39 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
All of our clients are still running windows just fine. The changes needed to move the server were minimal and we did not lose any functionality during the move.

This has been an EXCELLENT 'upgrade' that I heartily recommend, thus far.

I'll start a new thread with more details about all the benefits we are now seeing.

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #40 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Apr 1st, 2011 at 4:38pm:
OS commands such as @Shell ( ), CreateAProcess ( ), RedirectProcess ( ) and @Asynchshell ( ), how are they handled in Linux? Do you find enough utility programs for Linux to do the job outside of Sesame with those commands?

I was looking at using Linux when we had to update our server (Windows 2000 Server extended support ended about a year ago).  I have done a number of installs at home and am very satisfied with it.  I use Ubuntu Desktop, which is much more user-friendly than most Linux versions.  If you have a spare hard disk, definitely download a copy and install it.  If you would like, I can send you an extremely detailed step-by-step installation process not only for the basic install (which doesn't need it) but also for the minutia.  For instance, there is a package called "Microsoft core fonts" that installs Times New Roman, Arial, etc.

Linux hardware support nowadays is much better than previously.  I have had some problems with combinations of particular video cards with particular motherboards -- but the mobos are from circa 2004 and the video cards are AGP 64-128MB, so they are pretty old too.  You can easily fit an extremely robust install on a 40GB disk.  I'm talking The GIMP, full Libre Office, video editors, video codecs, PDF editing, etc.  If you REALLY go crazy with free software you're looking at maybe 10GB of disk space.  NVidia has full-blown Linux drivers, so their cards work pretty well. Samsung and HP have good printer support.

One caution: If you do do an install, disconnect all your other hard disks first.  If you don't, the install will automatically install multi-boot software and you'll have to uninstall it later (which is a minor annoyance but not a problem).  Just select the boot drive during power up or restart.  Linux will be able to read and interact with your Windows drives once they are reconnected, but Windows won't recognize the Linux drives.

One of my biggest "problems" with Ubuntu is that I turn on the computer and about 20 seconds later the main screen is up.  (2.4GHz socket 478 Celeron, 1.5GB DDR, 80GB Western Digital PATA -- the mobo is pre-SATA.) I keep waiting for the rest of the programs to load and then I remember--if the main screen is up it's ready to go.

Go to You Tube and search for Nixie Pixel.  She's a Linux/Windows 7 guru with a lot of Linux demos.  Definitely check out Compiz Fusion.  It makes Windows 7's Aero interface look like a toy.

I haven't tried Sesame yet on Linux but it is something I plan to do in the near future.  One thing I do like is the fact that it won't involve any rewrites.

... One last thing ... In a very soon upcoming revision to the Linux kernel they will be adding virtualization as a basic feature.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #41 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick,

Thanks for your input. I always learn quite a bit from your posts here on the forums.

We're going to use the Linux server ONLY for sesame, so I may need some help with things like sharing folders, creating shortcuts (launchers) and setting up a backup plan.

I'll post more about our experience next week.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #42 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 7:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve, one caveat with Linux (I'm pretty sure it's not limited to Ubuntu.):

As you probably know, in Windows any hard disk location (HDD0, HDD1, etc.) can be used as the boot drive and unless you have an oddball highly custom setup, Windows will automatically assign that drive partition as C:\.  For instance, I have a 1.5TB drive with XP on a 100GB partition and the rest for data, and a separate 80GB drive with Win 7.  I also have an IDE drive tray and sometimes I have to put a drive in that.  So I can select from 3 completely separate copies of Windows.  If I move a drive from IDE-1 Master to IDE-2 Slave, Windows will still boot.

Not so with Linux.  If you move a disk at all, the whole system won't boot.  There is a boot configuration file that assigns each partition a specific ID.  You will normally have at least 3 partitions in Linux, often more.  You have to edit that file before rebooting. Because the config file is one of the very first things in the boot process, you won't get a "Find Target" dialog or anything similar.

One of the neat differences between Linux and Windows is how Linux handles mount points.  In Windows, you can only mount a drive into an empty directory.  So, you can't copy everything in C:\Program Files to a separate hard disk and then mount that disk at C:\Program Files.  In Linux you can.  That means you can have \Data on your boot disk with, e.g., 2GB of test files and then when everything is working, just mount your production folder at that point.  The data in the original folder will be invisible until the other drive is unmounted. No need to change pointers, references, etc.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #43 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 9:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good to know. Thanks Rick.

IP Logged