Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) [RESOLVED] Server has detected a low memory issue (Read 7444 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Server has detected a low memory issue...CRASH
Reply #30 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 3:08pm:
I sent you an email with a screenshot.

I don't think Windows server 2003 has a 'working set' column. Instead, it's labeled 'Mem Usage'.

Thanks.

Did you send it directly to me or to support? I didn't see it go by.

In Task Manager there should be an option in the View menu to add or remove columns in the process table. One of the columns you can add is working set.

I thought you were on Windows 7.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #31 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, email has been resent. Windows Server does not have that column name, as far as I can tell.

Sesame is setup on Windows Server 2003, which is where I ran most of our test (including last nights test.) I moved everything to windows 7 temporarily,per your suggestion, but had same effects.

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,
I found what may be the cause of some, if not all, of your issues. It has very little to do with memory consumption. It has to do with simultaneous exports. I am looking for a solution. Can you tell me a little about the exports you are doing?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #33 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good to hear, Mark. We do move a lot of data in and out of Sesame, but most of it is done from mass updates that write to text files using filewriteln and fileovewrite commands. Not too much using export and import commands.

Once per night, I export all fields from all records from Inven-Test.db (you have a copy) using the button at the bottom of the inven form labeled 'export all records'. The command button simply loads and runs a saved export spec called 'export all records'. I then import the data into Q&A (for the one user that hasn't graduated to sesame yet) Smiley

Also, about once per week, I delete all records from Stock.db (about 9000 records) and export SOME of the fields from inven-test.db to import into Stock.db database.

However, a few times per week, we import from a text file into a db called 'import tool.db'. to facilitate a LOT of xlookups into that database from Products.db. (updating stock and pricing information from the import tool.db)

Many times per day, we run a mass update using filewriteln command, to write a text file/

I don't think we  run many SIMULTANOUS import/exports. Perhaps the memory is not being freed up AFTER an export? Also, recall that just ONE export of all my records was causing a crash. (see my original post)

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Server detected a low memory issue..RESOLVED
Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 10:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Update: Moving the Sesame server from a Windows computer to Linux (Ubuntu version) has cured our memory issue, connection issues, as well as a few other headaches we were having with large, complex applications. The speed of sesame has also increased substantially.

Steve

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #35 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 2:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the update. Lots of great info.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: [RESOLVED] Server has detected a low memory is
Reply #36 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 4:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
To be a bit more precise, Mark did send me a beta version 2.5.3 that fixed a memory issue during exports, but we still had other problems with clients connecting to the server after several large aps were loaded. We finally moved to Linux and the issues were gone (and we went back to version 2.5.2).

I'll post more about sesame on Linux, as we give it more time to test.

Steve

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #37 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 4:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
OS commands such as @Shell ( ), CreateAProcess ( ), RedirectProcess ( ) and @Asynchshell ( ), how are they handled in Linux? Do you find enough utility programs for Linux to do the job outside of Sesame with those commands?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #38 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 5:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
The OS commands in Sesame are themselves completely cross-platform and operate identically on both operating systems. The OS commands they represent originated on Unix. Remember that Unix has always been (since the late 1960s) multi-user and multi-process. Windows is still only single user and only gained multi-process capabilities with Windows 95.  It was not truly multi-process until NT. Additionally, concepts like redirection of I/O and command shells both come from Unix.

Linux has much more software available for it than Windows does. Unfortunately, it tends to be either free (most of it is "open-source") or very expensive. But, generally, for every Windows package there are several Linux alternatives. Many of them are much better, though harder to learn, than the Windows program. Where Linux really shines is in utilities. Linux comes with 600-3000 utility programs and there are several hundred thousand available online.

Where Linux falls well behind Windows is in hardware support. Because MS makes companies sign exclusive use agreements, and Windows is very popular in the US, many hardware manufacturers do not make Linux drivers for their hardware. So it can be difficult to get a printer or a camera working with Linux. Fortunately, the Linux community is very active and often writes 3rd-party drivers for popular devices. Also, because Linux uses a standard driver format, the drivers are not subject to the proprietary mess over on Windows.

But, with all that said, SBasic usually runs on the clients, not the server, so I doubt Steve is running into any issues with these commands.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #39 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
All of our clients are still running windows just fine. The changes needed to move the server were minimal and we did not lose any functionality during the move.

This has been an EXCELLENT 'upgrade' that I heartily recommend, thus far.

I'll start a new thread with more details about all the benefits we are now seeing.

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #40 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Apr 1st, 2011 at 4:38pm:
OS commands such as @Shell ( ), CreateAProcess ( ), RedirectProcess ( ) and @Asynchshell ( ), how are they handled in Linux? Do you find enough utility programs for Linux to do the job outside of Sesame with those commands?

I was looking at using Linux when we had to update our server (Windows 2000 Server extended support ended about a year ago).  I have done a number of installs at home and am very satisfied with it.  I use Ubuntu Desktop, which is much more user-friendly than most Linux versions.  If you have a spare hard disk, definitely download a copy and install it.  If you would like, I can send you an extremely detailed step-by-step installation process not only for the basic install (which doesn't need it) but also for the minutia.  For instance, there is a package called "Microsoft core fonts" that installs Times New Roman, Arial, etc.

Linux hardware support nowadays is much better than previously.  I have had some problems with combinations of particular video cards with particular motherboards -- but the mobos are from circa 2004 and the video cards are AGP 64-128MB, so they are pretty old too.  You can easily fit an extremely robust install on a 40GB disk.  I'm talking The GIMP, full Libre Office, video editors, video codecs, PDF editing, etc.  If you REALLY go crazy with free software you're looking at maybe 10GB of disk space.  NVidia has full-blown Linux drivers, so their cards work pretty well. Samsung and HP have good printer support.

One caution: If you do do an install, disconnect all your other hard disks first.  If you don't, the install will automatically install multi-boot software and you'll have to uninstall it later (which is a minor annoyance but not a problem).  Just select the boot drive during power up or restart.  Linux will be able to read and interact with your Windows drives once they are reconnected, but Windows won't recognize the Linux drives.

One of my biggest "problems" with Ubuntu is that I turn on the computer and about 20 seconds later the main screen is up.  (2.4GHz socket 478 Celeron, 1.5GB DDR, 80GB Western Digital PATA -- the mobo is pre-SATA.) I keep waiting for the rest of the programs to load and then I remember--if the main screen is up it's ready to go.

Go to You Tube and search for Nixie Pixel.  She's a Linux/Windows 7 guru with a lot of Linux demos.  Definitely check out Compiz Fusion.  It makes Windows 7's Aero interface look like a toy.

I haven't tried Sesame yet on Linux but it is something I plan to do in the near future.  One thing I do like is the fact that it won't involve any rewrites.

... One last thing ... In a very soon upcoming revision to the Linux kernel they will be adding virtualization as a basic feature.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #41 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick,

Thanks for your input. I always learn quite a bit from your posts here on the forums.

We're going to use the Linux server ONLY for sesame, so I may need some help with things like sharing folders, creating shortcuts (launchers) and setting up a backup plan.

I'll post more about our experience next week.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Steve

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #42 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 7:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve, one caveat with Linux (I'm pretty sure it's not limited to Ubuntu.):

As you probably know, in Windows any hard disk location (HDD0, HDD1, etc.) can be used as the boot drive and unless you have an oddball highly custom setup, Windows will automatically assign that drive partition as C:\.  For instance, I have a 1.5TB drive with XP on a 100GB partition and the rest for data, and a separate 80GB drive with Win 7.  I also have an IDE drive tray and sometimes I have to put a drive in that.  So I can select from 3 completely separate copies of Windows.  If I move a drive from IDE-1 Master to IDE-2 Slave, Windows will still boot.

Not so with Linux.  If you move a disk at all, the whole system won't boot.  There is a boot configuration file that assigns each partition a specific ID.  You will normally have at least 3 partitions in Linux, often more.  You have to edit that file before rebooting. Because the config file is one of the very first things in the boot process, you won't get a "Find Target" dialog or anything similar.

One of the neat differences between Linux and Windows is how Linux handles mount points.  In Windows, you can only mount a drive into an empty directory.  So, you can't copy everything in C:\Program Files to a separate hard disk and then mount that disk at C:\Program Files.  In Linux you can.  That means you can have \Data on your boot disk with, e.g., 2GB of test files and then when everything is working, just mount your production folder at that point.  The data in the original folder will be invisible until the other drive is unmounted. No need to change pointers, references, etc.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #43 - Apr 2nd, 2011 at 9:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good to know. Thanks Rick.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print