Normal Topic Number of active Q&A users? (Read 2206 times)
Rick_R

Number of active Q&A users?
Jan 29th, 2010 at 10:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does anyone have a ballpark figure on the number of companies, etc., still actively using Q&A?

I'm not talking about hobbyists for personal use who have no interest in changing or companies that mainly use something else but keep Q&A around for "the old stuff when needed". I'm talking about businesses (at least 1 full-time employee/owner) that actively use it for non-trivial activities.

I work at a lawfirm with about a dozen regular Q&A users. Most of our work involves writing letters with a wordprocessor and Q&A is used to keep notes for status and basic information such as the account number, dollar amount, last activity date, etc.

I'm basically trying to get an idea of how much longer Lantica is likely to be concerned about Q&A compatibility, together with the fact that pretty soon Windows won't support DOS programs.  Obviously, at some point Lantica is going to decide that the remaining Q&A users are never going to switch, so there is no point in maintaining Q&A compatibility.

Also, I'm not interested in outright guesses or "estimates" with a huge range (e.g., "probably somewhere between 4,000 and 40,000".)

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Number of active Q&A users?
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 4:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Unfortunately, no way for me to provide any specific count, but I can confirm that there are still MANY active Q&A users. 

But as a consultant who does support Q&A users, I have sent you a PM with some of my info on this subject.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 3:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Rick_R wrote on Jan 29th, 2010 at 10:16pm:
Obviously, at some point Lantica is going to decide that the remaining Q&A users are never going to switch, so there is no point in maintaining Q&A compatibility.

Not any time soon. Our commitment to Q&A compatibility is a core value for us.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2011 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just a follow-up now that I've had a chance to use Sesame for awhile.  No offense to any of the responders, but obviously outsiders do sometimes look at certain things with some skepticism saying, "Well, of course they're going to say that!"

The functionality that enables Sesame to translate and access QA is completed.  So just keeping it isn't a big deal.  Also, the philosophy of QA is quite helpful.  I have looked at a lot of modern database products such as FoxPro (which Microsoft has discontinued), Access, MySQL and others.  None of them have Query by Form.  Pretty much all of them use object-oriented programming with thousands of commands, functions, objects, etc., that make the program pretty much useless for non-programmers trying to design a database. Most (probably all) of them do not handle multi-user record locking, etc., transparently--the programmer has to code all that.  Continuing the philosophy of QA and building on a core that is QA compatible will not prevent Sesame from adding modern functionality, so there is no reason to discontinue QA compatibility.

IP Logged