Normal Topic Vista - Autorun (Read 2782 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Vista - Autorun
Dec 30th, 2007 at 3:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does anyone know how to add a program to the Autorun selection in Windows Vista?  All I see are Microsoft programs and no way to edit the list.  I'd like Roxio Basic creator to start up whenever I insert a blank DVD.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Vista - Autorun
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 6:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Scott....

This will work, but only for you.

1.  Click on Start, Choose All Programs
2.  Right click the Start Menu's Startup icon.  choose Open.
3.  Drag/drop the Roxio program executable into the Startup folder.
4.  Close the Startup folder.

To do this for all users, you need to copy the file from this Startup folder into the Startup folder for AllUsers. 

You can also make a shortcut icon for the executable first, and copy the shortcut vs. the executable, into the Startup folder.  That will use less drive space, and will automatically call the latest version of the Roxio program.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 3:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the advice Bob; sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.

I haven't tried your suggestion yet, as I'm a bit puzzled.  Won't what you are describing set the program to Autostart when Windows starts?  What I'm looking for is Autorun, the setting for a program to start up when a blank DVD is inserted into the DVD drive.

What happens now is, when I insert a blank DVD, I'm given three choices.  I can't remember them right now and I don't have my Vista laptop with me, but one is "Burn DVD with Windows Media Player" and the other two are similar, both Microsoft programs.  Since I burn all my DVDs with Roxio, I'd like to set that as the default choice for blank DVDs.

With Windows XP this was easy:  I could "select a program" and check the box that says "always do this".  Vista offers me the "always do this" checkbox, but no way to choose a program that's not on the list.  Control Panel offers a way to set default programs, but they're all Microsoft programs and I can't see a way to select or add any more.

I've only started using Vista so I don't know if this limitation extends to other types of program settings, so if there's a workaround I'll want to learn it early in my marvelous Vista experience.  Thanks again for your help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 5:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, you are correct.  I misunderstood, should have done AUTORUN instructions instead.  Embarrassed

Cannot do now  ...  Will try to get back to you later.....
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2008 at 12:48am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 10:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here are steps for AUTO PLAY, but you are looking for AUTO RUN, they are different.  But this may work for you ...... see notes below.

Click on Start / Control Panel
Double click on Auto Play icon in the Classic View
To display dialog with every CD/DVD, select "Use Auto Play for all media and devices", put checkmark in box.
OR
For each media, you can select action for each one.  Take No Action disables Auto Play for that media type.
On Blank CD and Blank DVD you can choose a default program.  Browse for the Roxio program.

Also, you can stop any CD/DVD action when inserting the media by holding the SHIFT key when inserting the disk.

NOTES: ------------------------------------------
AUTORUN only runs when an autorun.inf file is found on the CD/DVD.  If the blanks had such a file, you could edit the file, it is a simple text file.  But if no autorun.inf file is found, then no action is triggered.

It is also very dangerous to have AUTORUN enabled.  It is very simple to have a CD inserted with autorun.inf file on it that can take over your system, delete files, install malware/viruses, logging/monitoring software, etc.
To disable AUTORUN, make the following registry change:
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom.
Double-click the Autorun value, and type 0 for its value. (If it's not there, create it by selecting Edit -> New -> DWORD Value, and typing "Autorun" for its name.)  Note: Use normal backup/safety precautions when making registry changes.

This will also protect against USB flash drives with autorun.inf files. 

Unfortunately, with this solution, Vista will no longer be notified when you insert a new CD, but this is probably preferable to unwanted malware. 

Here is a link that will provide you with info about disabling AUTO RUN by specific devices vs. all of them as done above:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/935...
This is info for W2K, but I believe the values are still the same.

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2008 at 1:15am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 8:42am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Click on Start / Control Panel
Double click on Auto Play icon in the Classic View
To display dialog with every CD/DVD, select "Use Auto Play for all media and devices", put checkmark in box.
OR
For each media, you can select action for each one.  Take No Action disables Auto Play for that media type.
On Blank CD and Blank DVD you can choose a default program.  Browse for the Roxio program

I get to this point and am stymied.  The only available options for a blank DVD are:
Burn a DVD data disc with Windows Media Player
Burn files to disc using Windows
Burn a DVD video disc using Windows DVD Maker
Take no action
Ask me every time

There is no way to scroll for Roxio or, in fact, choose any other program or option.

When I go to Control Panel - Default Programs, only 8 programs are listed, all Windows programs, and I can see no way to add any others.  Baffling.  XP is better.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged