Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Subform Validation (Read 2388 times)
MP

Re: Subform Validation
Reply #15 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 14th, 2007 at 3:34am:
2. Use the new FormDependentValue call to automatically total your subrecords onto the parent record.

This still doesn't work as I would expect it to.  The subtotaling does not occur until the parent record is committed.  The documentation states that it should occur whenever the relevant field in the subrecord is changed.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #16 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:13am
Print Post Print Post  
MP wrote on Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:00am:
2. Use the new FormDependentValue call to automatically total your subrecords onto the parent record.

This still doesn't work as I would expect it to.  The subtotaling does not occur until the parent record is committed.  The documentation states that it should occur whenever the relevant field in the subrecord is changed.

Which it does for me as soon as the subrecord is committed. Are you committing your subrecord or just clicking out of it?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

MP

Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 3:04am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:13am:
MP wrote on Dec 11th, 2007 at 2:00am:

Which it does for me as soon as the subrecord is committed. Are you committing your subrecord or just clicking out of it?

I disagree with your choice of not including uncommitted records in the subtotal function.  I think that the optimal user experience for doing any sort of automatic calculations is to be able to do them on the fly.  Typically, I implement them in On Immediate Change.  Subforms shouldn't be any different.  By forcing me to commit the record, you're also forcing me to validate the record.  And I shouldn't be forced to validate the entire record just so that I can access the current value of an uncommitted element.

No need to defend your decision.  I understand the complexities of dealing with uncommitted data.  Your implementation is the cleaner solution.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print