Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sesame locking up (Read 1380 times)
charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Sesame locking up
Oct 12th, 2007 at 10:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
My coworker just had something unusual happen (using Sesame 1.1.4)  He clicked on "save" to save some inventory changes he'd made in search and update...hourglass was visible, red indicator showed it was "working"...nothing happened for 15 minutes - appeared to be locked up.  He closed via Windows task manager (it said program was not responding).  The specifics are that we are not running client/server; the database files are on a network drive rather than his hard drive. When he re-opened Sesame and loaded the application, it took a few minutes to load...close to 5 minutes.  Not sure if the network drive is having problems or???  \

Update...he just told me that he "may have" hit F9 to go back in the database before Sesame had finished saving the database....grrrr... Angry  Dummy me asked, "why did you do that?"

Is there anything that might have caused the program to "freeze"...I'm becoming a little skidish about having our data on a shared public drive...my hope is that we can get permission to go client/server soon  Sad

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame locking up
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 10:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
From the description, it does sound like a network issue. If you have Pro or Plus, you can go client/server without buying additional licenses. You'll only be able to make one connection, but that's all you have now anyway.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2007 at 12:36am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 12th, 2007 at 10:29pm:
From the description, it does sound like a network issue. If you have Pro or Plus, you can go client/server without buying additional licenses. You'll only be able to make one connection, but that's all you have now anyway.

True...sadly.  I'll give our head tech a call on Monday and see if he can help us out.  

It may just be a coincidence that when I'm using Sesame, I have had zero problems working with this same database...I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Roll Eyes I wish I'd been watching him working with the application when this happened.

The coworker in question is sure it's a Sesame "bug"...if I have to bite my tongue much harder, I'll be texting for the rest of my life.

IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 12:58pm
Print Post Print Post  

I took our application home over the weekend...it ran fine, no problems I can see anywhere.  One thing that keeps "bugging" me is that I've never had the problems that my coworker is reporting/experiencing and I haven't been looking over his shoulder watching what he's doing when these glitches appear.

I know you folks are busy, but would it be worth having a look at my application to see if there is anything obvious that could be causing problems via my programming or design specs?  I just don't want "Sesame" to continue to be blamed for problems that are something I've done (or have not done that I should have).  As I said, I've had zero problems when I personally run our application or access our files from the public drive.

As always, thank you all.

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 1:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
charliebrown wrote on Oct 15th, 2007 at 12:58pm:

I took our application home over the weekend...it ran fine, no problems I can see anywhere.  One thing that keeps "bugging" me is that I've never had the problems that my coworker is reporting/experiencing and I haven't been looking over his shoulder watching what he's doing when these glitches appear.

I know you folks are busy, but would it be worth having a look at my application to see if there is anything obvious that could be causing problems via my programming or design specs?  I just don't want "Sesame" to continue to be blamed for problems that are something I've done (or have not done that I should have).  As I said, I've had zero problems when I personally run our application or access our files from the public drive.

Hello CharlieBrown,
If you would like, you can send a copy of your dsr and ddt to support@lantica.com and we can take a look at it for you.

-Ben

IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 2:46pm
Print Post Print Post  

Quote:
Hello CharlieBrown,
If you would like, you can send a copy of your dsr and ddt to support@lantica.com and we can take a look at it for you.

-Ben

Thanks Ben.  I'll sent (send even) the files in a bit.  Let me know if there's any pilot error on my part.  Appreciate your help very much.

Charlie

*edited for grammar...I love Mondays Undecided

PS.  I can also send our data if you'd need to run it also...no problem.

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 4:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
After looking at CharlieBrown's application, it looks like network trouble is the culprit. The programming in the application looks fine. After testing several operations without successfully locking up or crashing the application, we tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the network while performing a save. This was the only way to cause a lockup with the database.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 6:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Perhaps this machine has a flaky network card or a bad cable?

BTW, if you are using version 2, you can hide the Save button.

- Hammer
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 4:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 15th, 2007 at 6:09pm:
Perhaps this machine has a flaky network card or a bad cable?

BTW, if you are using version 2, you can hide the Save button.

That's a possibility I'm looking into (for him).  If I combine all of the "theories" I've listened to on what this mysterious problem is, the diagnosis would be something like "sesamebug-synchronizationanomoly-microsoftdemonpossession-but-itsnotmyfaultitis
"
I'm just glad my shop is not in Roswell, NM...you know what those extraterrestrials can do to an app...not to mention the user.

Does version 2 have a voice module that can say, "Welcome to Sesame-Oh, it's you again...you are restricted to the user manual until further notice".  I thought for sure that I had suggested it  Cheesy

IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
After looking at CharlieBrown's application, it looks like network trouble is the culprit. The programming in the application looks fine. After testing several operations without successfully locking up or crashing the application, we tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the network while performing a save. This was the only way to cause a lockup with the database.

Thanks again Ben. I really appreciate your diagnosis.  I'll pass some ideas along to our ITs and see if they have anything specific on that drive...and also have them check out this worstation here.  Thabnk you again for checking the app. out for me.  If I hear the word "bug" one more time...it's become the generic diagnosis... Angry  and I'm getting more than tired of hearing it.

Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2007 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If I hear the word "bug" one more time...it's become the generic diagnosis... Angry  and I'm getting more than tired of hearing it.

I know exactly how you feel.  I've got one user who throws this word around like he's leaving a Reese's Pieces trail for E.T.  And more often than not what he's complaining about is some design change he would like me to implement.  Last week he asked me if I could swap the functions of the "Enter" key with "F10", because he'd rather hit the Enter key while working the form than....you get the idea.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #11 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 3:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Oct 16th, 2007 at 7:34pm:
Quote:
If I hear the word "bug" one more time...it's become the generic diagnosis... Angry  and I'm getting more than tired of hearing it.

I know exactly how you feel.  I've got one user who throws this word around like he's leaving a Reese's Pieces trail for E.T.  And more often than not what he's complaining about is some design change he would like me to implement.  Last week he asked me if I could swap the functions of the "Enter" key with "F10", because he'd rather hit the Enter key while working the form than....you get the idea.

I'd say something like, "you must be kidding", but I know you're not.  Design changes?  Yep...he wants those also.  There are some we have discussed that would be perfect for our purposes...drop down list that would autofill serial numbers into our repair records from the parent inventory, as well as equipment types, model numbers, etc.  He suggested that Sesame may be too difficult for "us" and we should pay someone to design applications for us.  Not a bad idea, BUT, "WE" had problems just navigating around two very simple Q&A applications that had zero programming prior to purchasing Sesame...printing reports, doing custom searches...hitting F1 was too difficult to remember when in seach/update mode to get help on search specs.Roll Eyes

I'll ease "us" into the more elaborate stuff.  Wink

One thing I will say is that I would have NO reservations having Hammer design anything for us.  The entire Lantica group is astounding.  I have never met a more professional and helpful bunch in the industry or, for that matter, in any comapny I have dealt with through 25 years of working where I am.  I love "playing" with Sesame and have tried to be a bit more conscious of when and when not to ask for help on my stuff.  I had absolutley zero experience with programming in any form of Basic -or other programming languages- prior to installing Sesame and they have gone above and beyond to push me along the correct path to have things work for me as they should.  The users on this foum have been amazing as well.  As for my "organization"...let's just say I'm forced to fly solo in the current climate.   Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 12:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
You're doing fine, Charlie. You'll outlast 'em all!  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 6:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 20th, 2007 at 12:54pm:
You're doing fine, Charlie. You'll outlast 'em all!  Smiley

Thanks for the encouragement Hammer  Smiley  I've had to do that personally as well as professionally...living in California presents its challenges in many areas. Roll Eyes  I removed the rest of this post to "Not About Sesame folder"...Forgive my "manifesto" there... Roll Eyes

IP Logged