Normal Topic Lexmark Inkjet and Q&A 5.0 (Read 1425 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Lexmark Inkjet and Q&A 5.0
May 9th, 2007 at 2:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Today our Novell server crashed, it's dead, gone to the great computer heaven in the sky.  It functioned only as a printserver for the three printers we use with Q&A 5.0, so now I'm scrambling to find alternatives.  Stupid thing couldn't wait two more months, grrr. 

I've hooked the 2 Epson dot matrix printers to individual workstations and re-wrote those user's batch files so we can print our forms, but the last printer is giving me trouble.  We were using an HP Laserjet to print plain paper stuff, but that's offline now, and instead I'm having to turn to a Lexmark inkjet.

It's a Lexmark 7170 and although I can attach Q&A to it by sharing it and using a Net Use command (all our workstations run Win XP) I've been daunted when trying to find a printer selection in Q&A's list that will print anything through it.  It just pumps out an empty page every time. 

Does anyone know of a printer manufacturer/model selection on Q&A's printer list that will work with an Inkjet?   It doesn't have to look fancy, no crazy fonts or italics or bold or anything.  Basic draft output is fine.  I've run scattershot through the list but there are hundreds of selections.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Lexmark Inkjet and Q&A 5.0
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2007 at 1:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Check the Lexmark documentation/we site to see if it can be configured to emulate another model.  It is not uncommon to be able to emulate HP and PostScript and Epsom printers.

I have an HP 750C Bubble Jet Color printer that works with Q&A 5.0 that you can use if you need it for a while. 
You can pick it up when you are in the neighborhood on Friday.  Let me know if you want to do this.

--------------------
I just Googled for "lexmark 7170 emulation" and saw many links that appear to show support for PostScript emulation.  If that is the case then you can use many of HP printer choices, HP 4M  and HP LJ III have worked well for me.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Lexmark Inkjet and Q&A 5.0
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2007 at 4:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob, I'll give those settings a try.  Thanks also for the offer of the printer, but I won't need it; I'm swimming in printers as it is.  My dispatcher wants to be able to print customer directions from the Q&A customer database to his Lexmark 7170.  The whole issue will be moot in a couple of months when he gets Sesame on his desktop but right now its a PITA.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged