Normal Topic Zip Code Changes (Read 2284 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Zip Code Changes
Apr 1st, 2007 at 4:04am
Print Post Print Post  
This issue is not limited to Sesame:
Quote:
National Public Radio's "All Things Considered" announced that the post office had begun a new 'portable zip codes' program. This program, inspired by an FCC ruling that allowed phone users to take their phone number with them when they moved, would allow people to also take their zip code with them when they moved, no matter where they moved to. It was hoped that with this new program zip codes would come to symbolize "a citizen's place in the demographic, rather than geographic, landscape." Assistant Postmaster General Lester Crandall was quoted as saying, "Every year millions of Americans are on the go: People who must relocate for work or other reasons. Those people may have been quite attached to their original homes or an adopted town or city of residence. For them this innovative measure will serve as an umbilical cord to the place they love best."
Has anyone else already started work on this? 
Any suggestions on how we should modify our Zip Code databases/lookups to support this?

coincidence that i posted this on 04/01?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

walt

Re: Zip Code Changes
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
[edited by Admin]

Walt: I know it's been awhile since you posted, but please remember that we don't call each other names in here. I know many other Forums and groups are OK with that sort of thing, but we're not. Please keep it civil. Thanks.

I believe Bob knows this is a hoax as he posted moments after midnight on April 1. If anybody wants to read the story about it, I've left Walt's link below.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1805651

[end edit]
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2007 at 11:57pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 3:57am
Print Post Print Post  
For those with vision problems, and for full disclosure I have enlarged the "fine print" at the end of the original posting:

looks like this in 12 point:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

But the zip code article did make me wonder, how will Alec be impacted by this proposal?

London Times announced that the Department of Transport had finalized a plan to ease congestion on the M25, the circular highway surrounding London. The capacity of the road would be doubled by making the traffic on both carriageways travel in the same direction. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays the traffic would travel clockwise; while on Tuesdays and Thursdays it would travel anti-clockwise. The plan would not operate on weekends. It was said that the scheme was almost certain to meet with the cabinet's approval, despite voices of protest coming from some quarters. One of the protestors included a spokesman for Labour Transport who reportedly warned that "Many drivers already have trouble telling their left from their right." Also, a resident of Swanley, Kent was quoted as saying, "Villagers use the motorway to make shopping trips to Orpington. On some days this will be a journey of two miles, and on others a journey of 117 miles. The scheme is lunatic."

And I should also provide a link to today's Google's announcement: http://www.google.com/tisp/

coincidence that this was also posted on 04/01?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 2:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Heck Bob,

It is all to complicated for me, I am still trying to figure out why there is no “w” in 1 (one) where I need it but there is a “w” in 2 (two) when I don’t. And I gave up trying to figure out why we drive on parkways and park on driveways.

Thanks for the Laugh Bob,

Robert

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 5:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
You raise some good questions Robert.
But perhaps in your wisdom, you can provide the answers to these quandries.  Which is correct?

Thou shalt not steal
OR
God helps those who help themselves  Undecided

He who hesitates is lost
OR
Look before you leap   Undecided

Birds of a feather flock together
OR
Opposites attract  Undecided

From the one of the greatest philosophers, Roseanne Roseannadanna:
Quote:
It's always something.