Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ASCII Export failed to create file... (Read 3504 times)
Cliff

ASCII Export failed to create file...
May 5th, 2006 at 8:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am a "newbie" to Sesame.  I have a very simple, very small data base that I am working with that I have "translated" from Q&A 5.  I am trying to create a "merge" file and receive the following error:

ASCII Export failed to create file Data\merge <merge filename>

Any and all assistance is very much appreciated.

Thanks...

Cliff

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: ASCII Export failed to create file...
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2006 at 9:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Cliff,

Is that the exact error that you are getting?

If it is, then the problem is with your filename. "merge <merge filename>" is not a valid filename. You will want to use something like CustomersExport.txt or MailingList.txt

Instructions for Merge printing via data export are on pages 293-297 of the Sesame 1.1 User guide. Instructions on exporting can also be found on pages 311-320 of the Sesame 1.1 User Guide. Also the Sesame Library, which can be found at http://www.lantica.com/Support/sesame_library.html, has a few OneSheets on the merge process once you are in Word.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Cliff

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2006 at 10:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray...

That is the exact error we are receiving.  I have tried the same procedure several times on two different computers using different iterations of the same data base.  The merge file name we are trying to create is simply mail.txt. 

Is there a "debug" file somewhere that can give me some clue as to what is wrong?  I am either not following the procedure correctly though I it appears to be fairly simple or there is something wrong with my database though it works fine in Q&A.

Frustrated...

Cliff

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2006 at 12:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Here is an image of the ASCII export dialog:

What do you have typed into the field pointed to by the arrow? That should say "mail.txt" before you hit the "Accept" button.

Yes, there is a log file. I'm not sure if it will tell you anything you don't already know. To get to it, select the "File" pulldown. On the "File" pulldown menu select "Server Administration". Type in the administrative login name and password for your system. The Server Administration dialog will appear. Along the bottom you will see a tab labeled "Local Log". Select that tab. You then see the log.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Cliff

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2006 at 4:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, understood.  I have tried "mail.txt" to no avail.
I have also tried a few others like test.txt, merge.txt, mgl.txt, etc.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2006 at 4:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Cliff,

Can you export using another database?

Do you have any of the Sesame sample databases like customers that you could try to see if export works?

Trying the sample will point you in the direction of where the problem might be.

I can tell you I have been successfully exporting from Sesame for a long while now, so hang in their you will get this worked out.  Smiley

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2006 at 4:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Cliff,

Could you lead me through step by step on what you are doing from the time you enter Sesame to the time that you get that error message?

Also are you running Client/Server or Standalone?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Cliff

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2006 at 5:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, I can export a "merge file" from a sample data base but not from an imported Q&A data base.  I believe this substantiates a correct application of the procedure used to create a merge file so will forgo reiterating the steps I have taken to do so.  I am using Sesame in standalone mode at present until we accomplish the conversion.

The problem appears to have something to do with the imported (translated) Q&A data base.  I recreated the database structure (it is very simple) from scratch in Sesame and I was then able to create a "merge file".  I am concerned, however, as we have several Q&A data bases that must be converted and two of them are very complex.  I started with the simplest one to learn the ropes so to speak.  If I have to recreate the datbases, so be it, however...I was hopeful that Sesame would translate them...this is of course why we decided to use Sesame to begin with.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2006 at 5:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Cliff,

Sesame will translate the Q&A databases and I have never heard of a user before who could not export data from a translated Q&A database.

Try exporting just one field. Let me know if it works.
Try exporting just one record. Let me know if it works.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Cliff

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2006 at 5:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
I will try this...

By the way...thanks all for the assistance...!

Cliff

IP Logged

Cliff

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2006 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
The process I am using is as follows:

I open Sesame Plus.
Then select "Translate Q&A", select the appropriate Q&A "DTF" file, then click "ACCEPT" and the thing chugs along with an indication that the translation is 100% complete.

We are then prompted to save the database with a new name.  We select MGL_Q for the file name.  The "DB" extension is applied automatically.

We are then able to view and otherwise work in the translated database.

To export data:  we select "export mgl" in the "spec" window on the left hand side of the application.  We select any single or all or any combination of fields accepted with the default "O" designation for variable field length (changing this has no effect on output).  We then right click the export "spec" bar and then select "RUN" (we have also optionally tried selecting "Results Commands" "Export Data" from the menu on the left upper side of the application window with no change in output).

Once we select "RUN" we are then presented with the ascii export window.  We leave everything as the default except for naming the output file and selecting "Field Name Header" (we have optionally not selected "Field Name Header" with no change in output).

We have tried various output file names as previously indicated.  Some of them are: mail.txt, test.txt, thisone.txt and so on....

Once we have settled on an output file name we then click "Accept" and are immediately presented with the error:  "ASCII Export failed to create file C:\Sesame\Data\test.txt"

Any and all help very much appreciated.

Thank you...

Clff

IP Logged

Cliff

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2006 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
I may have solved my own problem.  It appears that it is necessary to first run a search before exporting data?

When I search the database for any record and then attempt the export it succeeds...

Is this correct?

Thanks...

Cliff

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2006 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Cliff,

You either have to run a search in Search/Update mode or have added records in Add Data mode in order to export the data. You have to tell Sesame what data you want exported before you can export it.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Cliff

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2006 at 8:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks...I guess I am more of a "newbie" than I thought.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2006 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Cliff,

Just curious, how were you able to see the export spec and run an export WITHOUT a result set?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #15 - May 9th, 2006 at 8:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

You can do it in Add Data mode, if you have not added any records in that mode since you opened that mode.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #16 - May 10th, 2006 at 12:20am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Ohhh, okay.

I guess because I know how it is supposed to work, that I didn't think to try it that way. Tongue Grin

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #17 - May 10th, 2006 at 2:35am
Print Post Print Post  
Yeah, in Q&A for most operations, you pick the operation and then you go get the records to operate on. For each operation (for the most part) you have to re-retrieve records. In Sesame you retrieve records and then operate on them till you are done with those records. Most operations in Sesame are allowed by mode, even if you have no records. Largely, this is because update mode, extend mode, and add mode are all (really) the same mode / code. We divided them into separate modes visually because Q&A had two of the three and we wanted to maintain that familiarity.

I suppose we could disable commands until there were records to operate on, but I find the "pinball" effect of having commands turning off and on, somewhat mysteriously, disconcerting. Maybe I'll build an experimental version that does something like that and see if people like it.

As an experiment, I did build a version of Sesame that had no modes, merely commands. You started with a blank form, and filled it in. Then you either issued the search command or the add command (or any other of the Sesame commands). Sesame then either searched using the values you filled into the form, or it added that record to the database, depending on which command you issued. Technically, the modes are superflous to the operation of the program.

I can't count the number of records I've seen with search specs typed in them (in both Sesame and Q&A), or the number of times someone has typed in a whole record, only to discover that they were on a search spec  when they hit F10. The modes and F10 aren't so bad - no real harm done. But the modes do get to be problematic with F3.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #18 - May 10th, 2006 at 1:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I suppose we could disable commands until there were records to operate on...

I don't think there anything wrong with the export spec being available in add mode before new records are entered. The problem, I think, is that the error message lacks enough detail for someone to know why the error occurred. It simply states, "ASCII Export failed to create file [MyFileName]." It should probably say "ASCII Export file cannot be created because the result set is empty." or "...because there are no records selected."

There is another situation that can be confusing. If you run an export with a cleared export spec, there is no warning at all! This makes it appear to the user that the export completed properly even though nothing has been exported, and no file has been created.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #19 - May 10th, 2006 at 10:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
There is another situation that can be confusing. If you run an export with a cleared export spec, there is no warning at all! This makes it appear to the user that the export completed properly even though nothing has been exported, and no file has been created.

Sesame 2.0 now has an alert dialog if there are no LE selected.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #20 - May 11th, 2006 at 3:45am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Mark.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged