Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ASCII Export failed to create file... (Read 3505 times)
Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: ASCII Export failed to create file...
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2006 at 8:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

You can do it in Add Data mode, if you have not added any records in that mode since you opened that mode.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #16 - May 10th, 2006 at 12:20am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Ohhh, okay.

I guess because I know how it is supposed to work, that I didn't think to try it that way. Tongue Grin

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #17 - May 10th, 2006 at 2:35am
Print Post Print Post  
Yeah, in Q&A for most operations, you pick the operation and then you go get the records to operate on. For each operation (for the most part) you have to re-retrieve records. In Sesame you retrieve records and then operate on them till you are done with those records. Most operations in Sesame are allowed by mode, even if you have no records. Largely, this is because update mode, extend mode, and add mode are all (really) the same mode / code. We divided them into separate modes visually because Q&A had two of the three and we wanted to maintain that familiarity.

I suppose we could disable commands until there were records to operate on, but I find the "pinball" effect of having commands turning off and on, somewhat mysteriously, disconcerting. Maybe I'll build an experimental version that does something like that and see if people like it.

As an experiment, I did build a version of Sesame that had no modes, merely commands. You started with a blank form, and filled it in. Then you either issued the search command or the add command (or any other of the Sesame commands). Sesame then either searched using the values you filled into the form, or it added that record to the database, depending on which command you issued. Technically, the modes are superflous to the operation of the program.

I can't count the number of records I've seen with search specs typed in them (in both Sesame and Q&A), or the number of times someone has typed in a whole record, only to discover that they were on a search spec  when they hit F10. The modes and F10 aren't so bad - no real harm done. But the modes do get to be problematic with F3.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #18 - May 10th, 2006 at 1:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I suppose we could disable commands until there were records to operate on...

I don't think there anything wrong with the export spec being available in add mode before new records are entered. The problem, I think, is that the error message lacks enough detail for someone to know why the error occurred. It simply states, "ASCII Export failed to create file [MyFileName]." It should probably say "ASCII Export file cannot be created because the result set is empty." or "...because there are no records selected."

There is another situation that can be confusing. If you run an export with a cleared export spec, there is no warning at all! This makes it appear to the user that the export completed properly even though nothing has been exported, and no file has been created.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #19 - May 10th, 2006 at 10:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
There is another situation that can be confusing. If you run an export with a cleared export spec, there is no warning at all! This makes it appear to the user that the export completed properly even though nothing has been exported, and no file has been created.

Sesame 2.0 now has an alert dialog if there are no LE selected.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #20 - May 11th, 2006 at 3:45am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Mark.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print