Normal Topic Q&A Field names (Read 1051 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Q&A Field names
Feb 21st, 2006 at 7:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a large Q&A 5.0 database which I plan to translate into Sesame.  It contains a number of the typical Q&A pre-translation problems: field names with reserved keywords, fields that start with a number, operator characters, etc.

I need to keep this database "live" for my users up to the point of translation, so I'd like to make as few "cosmetic" changes as possible.  I would have to restructure the pages quite a bit if I needed to change things like "Date" to "Workorder_Date" and so forth.  The page setup just wouldn't survive.

So my question is, do the field names in "Set Field Names" ("Program A Database" menu) override names that are set when the database is designed?  Can I leave my form showing "Date" and set the field name as "Workorder_Date" and expect Sesame to groove on this without a problem?  Or do I actually have to redesign the form so all reverved/numbers/characters/etc are completely gone?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Q&A Field names
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Scott,

The names in the Set Field Names, they will be element names in Sesame. The Labels can be different and are set in the first screen of the "Redesign a File" option under the Design Menu.

So Yes, your form can show Date and the Field name can be Workorder_Date and Sesame will translate it into an Element named "Workorder_Date" with the label of "Date" that is bound to a field by the name of "Workorder_Date".

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Q&A Field names
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 8:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
YAY!  That will help a LOT.  Thanks Ray.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged