Normal Topic Report VIEW HEADER (Read 672 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Report VIEW HEADER
Nov 12th, 2005 at 4:26am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

No matter how many times I have read what I could find about View Headers, I must admit that I still do not have a clue what they are.

Could you please explain?

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Report VIEW HEADER
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 1:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
You have a View Header & View Footer associated with each group of Group Headers, Group Body, & Group Footers. The View Header & Footer is like bookends around the Group sections (in a vertical rather than horizontal manner).

You could add another View after your table type report, and make it either another table type or a freeform type of report. It's like having 2 reports in one. The View Header would appear at the top of each of the report sections.

Does this make sense the way I put it?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 1:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Views are "views of the data". In other words, if you have a report with one view, Sesame runs through the data for all of the records contained in that report - once. If you have two views, Sesame runs through all of the data for all of the records in that report - twice. Etc...

For each view, all of the report sections other than the Report Header and the Report Footer, repeat for that view.

Typically, this is used to calculate, filter, summerize, or reorganize the data, before (or after) the data is printed.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I appreciate the explanations; however, I am still not sure I am able to form a clear picture in my mind of how this would appear and how this would be useful. Here are my assumptions based on your comments.

1)  If I have a report with only ONE group (which would be a "typical" report for me), then I can have my regular Report Header and below that I could have additional "header" information.  In this case, both the Report Header and the View Header would appear on the first page and only on the first page such as:

REPORT - SUMMARY OF EXPENSES FOR FISCAL YEAR

VIEW - THIS REPORT IS FOR THE FIRST QUARTER ONLY

July................... Auto Fuel..............$10,000.00

..........................Food....................$  1,000.50

..........................Etc.

August................Auto Fuel..............$12,000.00

...........................Food................... $....500.00

...........................Etc.

Total...............................................$23,500.50

2)  If I have a report with two (or more) groups, then my Report Header would appear only once at the beginning of the report and my view header would appear (and could change) at the beginning of each group, such as:

VIEW1 - THIS SECTION IS EXPENSES BY EACH MONTH

..........................Food.....................$ 1,000.50

Footer1 Total...................................$23,500.50

VIEW2 - THIS SECTION IS FOR EXPENSES BY CATEGORIES

Auto Fuel.......................................$22,000.00

Food..............................................$  1,500.50

Footer2 Total..................................$23,500.50

REPORT FOOTER GRAND TOTAL  $23,500.50

If I am correct, this simply is a feature new to me that I have not yet had the luxury of using, and this is why I did not understand it.  I can see many many valuable uses for it.                              

In any event, it would be very helpful if I could see one or more examples of such reports.  

1) Are there any reports in any of the "sample" databases that utilize view headers?  

2) Does anyone have an example(s) of such a report(s) they could post here (or send me by e-mail) that I could look at?  It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:38pm by SpencerWulwick »  

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
The second example above is the more accurate interpretation of the use of multiple views. But do not confuse views with groups. Groups partition your data. Views repeat your data.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I am truly sorry but I don't understand your comments.

Quote:
The second example above is the more accurate interpretation of the use of multiple views.

This sounds like you think that I think my first example was an interpretation of the use of multiple views.  I prefaced it by saying that it was an example of a report with only one view.  Am I missing something?

Quote:
But do not confuse views with groups. Groups partition your data. Views repeat your data.

I suppose in my mind each view is associated with a corresponding group.  It sounds like you are saying they are separate entities.  If so, I simply just don't understand.

Sorry.

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

I am truly sorry but I don't understand your comments.

This sounds like you think that I think my first example was an interpretation of the use of multiple views.  I prefaced it by saying that it was an example of a report with only one view.  Am I missing something?

I was referring to this example:
Code
Select All
 2)  If I have a report with two (or more) groups, then my Report Header would appear only once at the beginning of the report and my view header would appear (and could change) at the beginning of each group, such as:

VIEW1 - THIS SECTION IS EXPENSES BY EACH MONTH

..........................Food....................$  1,000.50

Footer1 Total...................................$23,500.50

VIEW2 - THIS SECTION IS FOR EXPENSES BY CATEGORIES

Auto Fuel.......................................$22,000.00

Food..............................................$  1,500.50

Footer2 Total..................................$23,500.50

Quote:
I suppose in my mind each view is associated with a corresponding group.  It sounds like you are saying they are separate entities.  If so, I simply just don't understand.

Lets use an example database as (well) an example. Lets say you are using Customers.db and writing a report. In your reports you have sorted the customers by the state they are in and you put a group break on state, so that you get a new group of customers for each state. In that way a group break divides the set of records. So if we have 377 records, they would be divided into 50 groups - one for each state. We basically end up with only a few records in each of the 50 groups.

Views allow Sesame to run through the data more than once. In the simplest case, you could use two views to put two different tables into the same report. Using Customers.db again, you could have the first view be a table of all of the customers showing their name, address, and phone number. In the second view you could have all of the customers in a table, showing other fields, like their hobbies or their date.

Usually multiple views are used to generate different kinds of formats on the data (like table versus freeform) or to calculate values that need to see all of the data before the calculation can be performed. Adding views is very much like having more than one report in the same report.

IP Logged