Normal Topic MS Anti-Virus (Read 1397 times)
WhiteCrow

No personal text

MS Anti-Virus
Apr 28th, 2005 at 5:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have read about Microsoft planning to supply anti-virus protection with it's Windows OS's.  Rather daunting thought especially if it functions in a similar way. We may get messages like Warning Virus! -NES -LIP (Not Entirely Sure) (Let It Pass)Grin
or...
This virus will not run on XP, please upgrade it first.
or.. 'The virus you are about to delete is an executable file, are you sure you want to delete this application?" Wink

How I wish I had the time to make the move to Linux, most friends using it can only sing it's praise.  Is it really that good?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: MS Anti-Virus
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2005 at 6:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well either Linux is that good or MS$ is that bad... Depends on how you look at it. Just the fact that we are comparing the leading OS from the leading software company with a grad student's project, and finding the leading OS lacking - is somewhat telling about the state of things.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2005 at 1:43am
Print Post Print Post  
When Bill Gates wrote DOS it was a stroke of genius. Everything after that after that, was spawned by many strokes of $.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2005 at 9:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
...Bill Gates wrote DOS it was a stroke of genius...  Roll Eyes

I'm not sure which of these two claims I find more dubious. Wink

DOS was authored by a company called Seattle Computer Products  and was purchased by Mickey in 1981 for something around $50,000 (that may be genius). Harry Evans, author of They Made America, called DOS a "slapdash clone" and a "rip-off" of Gary Kildall's OS: CP/M. Tim Paterson, the author of DOS is suing Evans for defamation. Of course, Kildall freely admitted (until his untimely death) that CP/M was "inspired" by DEC's RT-11 OS.

Meanwhile, back at Bell Labs, Unix was already (since 1971) multi-user, multi-process, 32-bit, bullet proof, standards based, and a number of other adjectives that Mickey wouldn't get around to for another couple of decades. Actually, come to think of it, Mickey still isn't really multi-user.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged