Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) UserSelect Question (Read 12525 times)
FlipGilbert

Running Ver 2.6.4

Re: UserSelect Question
Reply #60 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 9:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
You dont know it but you have explained what I need to do. The Equipment type needs to be modified to have not only the name but the model and serial numbers as well. All in the one field. I do not need to separate all the different fields. See!! You did make it look so simple. This will work out very well and save a lot of time in data entry and in programming.  Grin

It's not what a man says that matters or how he says it, but what he does and how he does it.

IP Logged

FlipGilbert

Running Ver 2.6.4

Reply #61 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 10:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
oh well sounded good on paper anyways. the information in the popup field if to long gets cut off.   Undecided

It's not what a man says that matters or how he says it, but what he does and how he does it.

IP Logged

FlipGilbert

Running Ver 2.6.4

Reply #62 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 10:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
or like you said earlier.....

I can add a key number after the name like
(equipment name  0123) making the equipment name a key field for me to do the xlookup.
is there a way to hide the number field from view. not an issue if not.   

is there a way to add this number key to the end of the equipment name? in a mass update!
oh great!  now Im talking to myself.
my hair is on fire, im so glad its friday  8)

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #63 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 11:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I can add a key number after the name like 
(equipment name  0123) making the equipment name a key field for me to do

So you have the KeyField, I believe that is sequential unique number that you might be deriving from @number or Globalvalue.  Good thinking... better than I suggested to combine two names as this will be always unique. If you have unique key value in each record of subform Equipment List, you may represent the key in say String of five digits with filling up with zeros up front if it is less than five digits long...such as 00005 or 00324.

You get the string in form dispatch using @xlookupall, and it would be like equipment00124 unless you are prepared to put couple of more elements. Eventhoght display will show the number, when you will choose the item, Equipment_Type element will take only equiment name and key will go to another element or for better presentation and readability you may present list as   "Equiment         00124"  format that is more pleasant to look at. Just a thought.

IP Logged

FlipGilbert

Running Ver 2.6.4

Reply #64 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 11:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
another nice idea, thank you for you help on this. Im so glad this works. I was about to call it quits but am very thankful you stayed with me and helped me. thank you and Bob and Carl and all great folks for your support! oh! and Lantica and the folks over at Hammer Data!  and ....*the music comes on and someone shouts  GET OFF THE STAGE!!*  Shocked

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #65 - Apr 2nd, 2005 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Flip, Glad to know that it worked out for you as you wanted it to.  I was thinking about how it could be done without changing any structure or making any new field. Since now you already made the changes and added an extra-element or modified and made it work, this discussion is just academic value and may be just theoretical. I believe the following should work if we call the above subroutine after picking up equipment on element exit event. Subroutine goes in the Global Code.

var vEquipmentInfo as String
vEquimentInfo = @xListValueAll(@FN, Company, "Equipment_List!CompanyName","CompanyName;SerialNo;Model")

vEquipmentInfo = @Repleace (vEquipmentInfo, @newline ( ), ";")

Subroutine Populate_fields()
var t as array[20, 3] of String  //company could have upto 20 equiments
var i as Int

//Populate Array

i = 1

While @len (vEquipmentInfo) > 0
     t[i,1] = Split (vEquipmentInfo, ";")
     t[i,2] = Split (vEquipmentInfo, ";")
     t[i,3] = Split (vEquipmentInfo, ";")

i = i + 1

//Loop to find the value of Equipment and when found assign value of serialNo and Model

For i = 1 to 20

If t[i,1] = Equipment
         {
           Serial = t[i,2]
           Model = t[i,3]
           i = 20
         }
     Else
           i = i + 1

Next      

End Subroutine

===============

I did not debug the above codes and did not check the names of elements but concept and logic should be understandable.

I would like request the Lantica Development team to include the availability of simple function, in which one could combine two or more external key elements to make it Unique to be used in some of the x-family functions, that will obviate the need to change the structure or add any additional element to make an Unique key.

May be I should request this in a separate link.

IP Logged

FlipGilbert

Running Ver 2.6.4

Reply #66 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 3:02am
Print Post Print Post  
I will give this a try in the future. most important is to thank you for helping me

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print