Normal Topic Problems with large amount of data (Read 2080 times)
Sosti

No personal text

Problems with large amount of data
Jan 4th, 2005 at 7:29am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello!

I "restructured" my company and therefore I finally wanted some programs for infrastructure.

So I looked at the samples, to find something I can adapt and learn. The sample file "SesameSeasons" exactly what I needed.

I just have to change some datafields, or to add them and change everything into german.

One function I enjoy and could learn of it was in the invoice form, the "dynamicly updated" drop down menu with the customer names. The problem I have is, that I do not have an own customer list, only an address list with all addresses I have, some for mailings, some of deliverers, partners and of course also customers or possible customers (we have got a lot of addresses from chambers of commerce all around the world and do mailings with that informatioins).
In total there are about 3000 addresses at the moment. And about 2500 of them are declared as customers (we have some filters).

So, a dropdownlist with 2500 entries is not really easy to handle, I even don't know if my PC can handle that (it's not very new).

I just had an idea, but I don't know if that could work. I wanted to make the address block as a subform, in which I can search for addresses, but I don't know if that is possible or really a good solution at all.

The same problem with the productslist in the invoice form, there are "only" 400 entries at the moment, but also this should be a really large list, dfficult to handle ;o(

I hope, someone can give me a tip and help me out of it. The last years we had several Q&A-Adress-Files, but now I want one central database.

Yours, Sosti

PS: Of course I already did a lot of changes at the orginal sample, also added new databases to it, so I don't use your work without doing anything ;o)

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Problems with large amount of data
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2005 at 7:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sosti,

Most people with this issue make use of Sesame's builtin lists (like @PopupMenu) combined with some sort of "pre-filtering" scheme to reduce the items on the lists. For example, they have the user type the first few letters of the customer name, then show only those names beginning with those letters. Or, they have the user select a product category, then show only the products in that category.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Sosti

No personal text

Re: Problems with large amount of data
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 7:26am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi!

Thank you for the reply. I already had the idea with the product categories too, which would be much better.

With the addresses I have following solution: Of course not all the 3000 addresses do get invoices. So in the customer-database I now have a checkbox "getting invoices", and only these customers/addresses appear at the invoice form ;o)

Greetings, Sosti

IP Logged