Normal Topic backwards thinking? (Read 3148 times)
Diane Colello

No personal text

backwards thinking?
Mar 4th, 2005 at 12:01am
Print Post Print Post  
Is it totally wrong thinking to build an application by first creating the fields in the Field Manager?  My mind seems to want to have a list of fields organized so that when I create elements on forms and sub forms I can be clear about what I'm binding them to.
I did buy the Data Dictionary Program to print out the properties of what I have already, that works well.  Is there a way to print the "Fields/Bound Elements" list from the Field Manager?

AIM AIM  
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: backwards thinking?
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 3:35am
Print Post Print Post  
A few immediate thoughts.

1.  Sounds like a lot of extra work.

2.  There was an earlier problem with fields created in Field Manager and then bound to by LEs.  I don't recall the particular symptoms, but it was supposed to have been corrected in one of the following releases.  I can't confirm that it was fixed because after having the problem, I stopped creating fiels in Field Manager because I no longer trusted it
Edited comment:  Erika has confirmed below that this old problem was fixed and this should not be a concern.

3.  Creating the LEs creates the fields.  So why not add the LE's in the same order as you would the Fields.  Then you can rearrange the LEs on the forms.  Arrange them in groups so you can use that form for data dictionary support.  Now make multiple new forms that you want, picking form the "Biound To" names that will now be there from the steps above.  Skip those fields that you don't want on any particular form, but you still have a form containing all the Fields for importing/exporting regardless of what other forms they might be on.

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2005 at 4:34pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 1:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
2.  There was an earlier problem with fields created in Field Manager and then bound to by LEs.  I don't recall the particular symptoms, but it was supposed to have been corrected in one of the following releases.  I can't confirm that it was fixed because after having the problem, I stopped creating fiels in Field Manager because I no longer trusted it

Bob,

Just to confirm, this problem was definitely fixed.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Diane Colello

No personal text

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 1:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Bob, that sounds sensible.  Forwards and backwards, I'll eventually get my mind wrapped around this.
Diane

AIM AIM  
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 4:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for confimation on the fix Erika......

I will edit my original to include that info..

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged