Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A big project (Read 21721 times)
John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

A big project
Feb 15th, 2005 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi, I am the manager of a cemetery. We have four databases running in QA4, that I would like to import, and integrate into Sesame, so that I can pull records from each into one form.
I have no difficulty in converting the databases into sesame format, but I'm lost when it comes to linking them up, and the best way to go about it.
The basic way it's layed out now,
The Lot register contains the owners contact information, and notes on general lot info. This I would like to be the main area, from wich, I can call the others, is that the best way to do it, or should I design a new Database, and use all the former Q&A databases as sub databases?
The others, are the Burial register, with over 15000 entries each giving the genealogical information of a burial.
The Flower database, giving contact information for whoever is looking after the flowerbed, if any for the lot, and used for mail merge operations. (May or may not be the same as the lot owner info.
The Pre-need database, that gives information on services that have been prepaid for that lot.
The winter wreath database, much the same as the flower database, also used for mail merge 

What I'd like to be able to do, is search the main database by lot owners name, and pull up from that any information i need about the lot from the other databases.
For example, I'd like to be able to ask for, and get, a list of all the burials in the lot, and the grave numbers they are in.
When this was attempted in QA4, it would retrieve the first burial it came to, and stop. This was not acceptable, and we never did find a way around it. We ended up using each database separately, a major PIA.
I have been working with sesame off and on for some months now, but I can't figure out how to integrate these databases the best way.
In fact, I can't figure how to get an existing database to be a sub database.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: A big project
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 9:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi, I am the manager of a cemetery. We have four databases running in QA4, that I would like to import, and integrate into Sesame, so that I can pull records from each into one form.
I have no difficulty in converting the databases into sesame format, but I'm lost when it comes to linking them up, and the best way to go about it.

There are a number of ways this can be handled in Sesame.
Quote:
The basic way it's layed out now,
The Lot register contains the owners contact information, and notes on general lot info. This I would like to be the main area, from wich, I can call the others, is that the best way to do it, or should I design a new Database, and use all the former Q&A databases as sub databases?
The others, are the Burial register, with over 15000 entries each giving the genealogical information of a burial.
The Flower database, giving contact information for whoever is looking after the flowerbed, if any for the lot, and used for mail merge operations. (May or may not be the same as the lot owner info.
The Pre-need database, that gives information on services that have been prepaid for that lot.
The winter wreath database, much the same as the flower database, also used for mail merge 

What I'd like to be able to do, is search the main database by lot owners name, and pull up from that any information i need about the lot from the other databases.
For example, I'd like to be able to ask for, and get, a list of all the burials in the lot, and the grave numbers they are in.
When this was attempted in QA4, it would retrieve the first burial it came to, and stop. This was not acceptable, and we never did find a way around it. We ended up using each database separately, a major PIA.

Q&A was probably using an @XLookup, which returns the first record it finds that matches the criteria. Sesame has a command: @XLookupAll that can return the information from all of the records that match the criteria.
Quote:
I have been working with sesame off and on for some months now, but I can't figure out how to integrate these databases the best way.
In fact, I can't figure how to get an existing database to be a sub database.

I suggest that you, experimentally at first, merge the databases you have into a single application using Sesame's Merge Application command. Its on the command tree under Application Utilities. And then start looking for connections/navigations between the various databases that you want to support in the final application. The criteria in the @XLookup statements is probably a good place to start. Each of those is likely to a pre-existing connection in the data that you may want to take advantage of.

Once you have a pretty good picture of how you would like it to work, build a form with subforms that matches your vision. When you add a subform to a form, SDesigner will ask you which of the existing forms should appear as the subform.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 9:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
John,

How about starting slow and simple to get some solid experience with Sesame and then figure out how to deal with your entire project.

Start by making a new application
Open Sdesigner
Click new application
In the filename box type CEM
Click on forms
Click design a form
Click add new database
Create new text element named LotOwnerName
Click save layout design
Click close design tab
Click add new database
Add new element LotNumber
Click save layout design
Click close design tab
Click redesign a form
Select form newdatabase
Click form named newform
In element adder click select element type subform
In the label box enter subformlot (or anything you like to call it)
Click add element to form
A new box will pop up step 1 will be select a form
click the down arrow and select NewForm0
leave step 2 and 3 alone
step 4 type a name
in step 5 change form to table using down arrow
click ok and place and size the new subform element on your form
Click save layout design

Click close design tab

Now you can open the application named CEM enter a lot owner name
And enter lot numbers relating to that owner.

When you later search by lot owner all the associated lot numbers will show.

You can add as many fields to the subform as you need and you can add additional subform elements to display whatever you need.

This example should give you an understanding of how to progress.

You can definitely make your form prettier and name things nicer and improve this but this should show you the basic principles involved.

Hope this helps.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 5:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
First of all, I want to thank both of you for you efforts, both methods work quite well, at pulling up the form.
I am still doing somethig wrong however, as the records are blank in both instances.
What I did was take a sample of my records, my own family name, and I'm working with that in an experimental database.
How do I go back, and edit the subforms? or child forms

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you are talking about adding elements to the subform just open the application in Sdesigner and click forms then redesign customize a form and choose the database form you want to add elements to.  Smiley

If you are talking about adding data to the subforms from the parent record just enter it in the field. Press f10 to enter another. Sesame handles the stuff that links the child data to the parent for you in the example I used. Smiley

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 6:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Neither I'm afraid. When I'm is search and update mode, the subform is there, but contains no data.
Pressing F10 and advancing to the next record, also shows no data
What I'd like to be able to do is get data from any of four different databases from the main form.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 6:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
John,

I have the example above application working on my machine.

If I add an owner name of smith to the main record
Then click in subform and enter lot 69
Press f10 and enter 70

Then go back to main enter another new owner jones
Then click in subform and enter lot 150
Press f10 and enter 160

Exit database

When I go to the main database and search for jones it brings up 150 and 160 in the database.

Am I not understanding what you are wanting to do? Embarrassed

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'll start from scratch and try it again Must have goofed somewhere. Be back to you later, thanks.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #8 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 1:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, I just went through and created the database exactly as you described, and it worked perfectly.
The trouble is, it looks exacltly like the one I made with the data already in the databases, except that mine does not work.
Is there a way I can compare the two side by side to see my mistakes?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The trouble is, it looks exacltly like the one I made with the data already in the databases, except that mine does not work.

When you say data already in the databases, Do you mean you added the subform after the data was entered?

If that is the case the problem is with the type of association we used. We used Automatic which deals with the link management for you but it has to be entered from the parent to the child.

(I hope I explained that clearly, Maybe the Lanticans can explain it in a clearer way)

The other method would have been to select relational when making the subform and telling sesame what fields are related.

Please keep in mind that this was a very general response. There are always more then one method to accomplish a task in Sesame.

IP Logged

John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 3:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Do you mean you added the subform after the data was entered?

Yes, i'm afraid that's the way It has to be done, I have five fairly large databases that I have translated fron QA4, and I want to be able to get at the data from each from one form.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, i'm afraid that's the way It has to be done, I have five fairly large databases that I have translated fron QA4, and I want to be able to get at the data from each from one form.

That is not a problem.

Keep in mind there are probably lots of ways to do what you want using Sesame.

The method I used to do a similar task as you are doing using  my limited knowledge of Sesame was to do exactly the same as we discussed but use the relational link instead of automatic. When you choose Relational method you will be asked in step 4 for parent record field and child record field that matches to make the link.

The thing to remember is you will need to handle the quote housekeeping features going forward. You will need to make sure when you enter new data the matching fields  are updated correctly. It is not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 4:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The thing to remember is you will need to handle the quote housekeeping features going forward. You will need to make sure when you enter new data the matching fields  are updated correctly. It is not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

Bob, I suspect that he should set the subform relational and specify the key fields - temporarily. Then once he has imported his data under the proper parent, he should set it back to natural linking. That way he avoids the ongoing "housekeeping".

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Wow, The best of both worlds!

I never new I could do that. CHANGE what a concept.

This is a perfect little tip for Inside Sesame. I am sure many can benefit from it.

Thank you Mark. I love learning useful stuff.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2005 at 5:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
This isn't something that happens automatically by changing the link type. It is a process you can do. Several Forum members have done it and say it works quite well. It works like this:
1. Create the relational link
2. Do a hierarchical export of the data.
3. Delete the relational link
4. Create a natural link
5. Do a hierarchical import of the data.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print