Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2004 Sesame Users Conference (Read 9972 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

2004 Sesame Users Conference
Aug 10th, 2004 at 1:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Online Registration is available for the Sesame Users Conference scheduled for Oct 1- 2, 2004 and for the Masters Seminar on Oct 3, 2004 at Baltimore/Washington Airport Marriot.
Conference Registration Form

You can also take advantage of the Conference Group Rates when making your hotel reservations at the Marriot.
http://www.stayatmarriott.com/lanticasoftware

It's going to be a lot of fun and provide a lot of good information, so we hope to see all of you there!  Grin

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

billgordon

No personal text

Re: 2004 Sesame Users Conference
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 12:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
we hope to see all of you there!  Grin

Do you have a SWAG as to how many people you think will attend?

How many people for the Masters session?

can you tell us how many have already signed up?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2004 at 12:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, I'm Tech. I don't have that info.  Grin

I do know that we had to reschedule the Conference to be able to get a large enough meeting area, based on the results of the earlier survey. I also know that there is still some concern that we will get more people than can be accomodated, and will have to stop accepting registrations at some point. So, if you're planning on attending, you probably want to sign up fairly soon...

- Hammer
IP Logged

sunnyjenna

No personal text

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 6:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sorry, I'm Tech. I don't have that info.  Grin

Is it possible that someone from Sesame can be a little more specific to what the presentations and demonstrations will be on Friday and Saturday or at least the type of things that will be demonstrated?

What type of things will be covered on Sunday?

What is the dress attire?

Should I bring my manuals?

Should I bring  a laptop?

Is this going to be a classroom type of environment or more of a lecture hall type of presentation?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 6:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is it possible that someone from Sesame can be a little more specific to what the presentations and demonstrations will be on Friday and Saturday or at least the type of things that will be demonstrated?

There is a basic list of topics at:
http://www.sesamedatabase.com/?go=conference

Quote:
What type of things will be covered on Sunday?

The presentation list is at the link above under the Masters Seminar section.

Quote:
What is the dress attire?

Whatever you want. It usually ranges from informal to dress casual.  Some people dress up for the dinner, others don't.

Quote:
Should I bring my manuals?

Some find it useful to have the manuals with them. Others don't. It kind of depends on what you plan to do there.

Quote:
Should I bring  a laptop?

I find them a pain. Others can't live without them. You won't need one to do practical exercises, but some people like to use their laptops to take notes or show their applications to others.

Quote:
Is this going to be a classroom type of environment or more of a lecture hall type of presentation?

The presentations are lecture-style. However, there are many opportunities for one-on-ones and there is a scheduled "breakout" period where various tables are set up for questions on different topics.

The Conference is historically a mix of topic presentations and members of the user community getting together to share what they've learned with each other. The focus is on the program and what it can do, but the atmosphere is friendly and cooperative.

- Hammer
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 2:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
  I hope we get to meet some more of the Lantica team at the conference (Ray without his reaper mask for one),  It would be a pleasure to buy him and the others a drink.

Better make it a soda.

Ray will indeed be at the conference. It will be his first. Erika will be there. She is one of the speakers. I will be there. Most of the Lanticans will be there. Many of them as speakers. We also have a couple of Sesame experts (non-Lanticans) coming as speakers as well.

Lantica marketing runs the sign-up web site. So I have no idea which of you from the forum we'll be seeing. But I hope to meet or greet all of the regulars here (even the lurkers should come and "de-lurk").

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the history behind this event: The Sesame Users Conference is the continuation of the Q&A Users Conference (an annual event sponsored by the Q&A Users Group and The Quick Answer since the days of DOS). The planners put together a set of speakers across three days, usually divided into general interest (the first two days) and a "Master's Seminar" (the third day).  Between speakers and in the evenings, breaks, and whenever they can, the attendees get together, share techniques, socialize a bit, and corner the programmers (to get us to tell you the sort of stuff that software companies are never "allowed" to tell you).

The last purely Q&A conference was in Washington D.C. It was my first. Erika made me go. I had no real interest in Q&A (I thought it was something of a "DOS relic"). It wasn't a big conference, but it was amazingly enthusiastic. I thought beforehand that the days of software users conferences were pretty much over (killed by microsoft's dominance). But upon seeing the innovation and creativity that people were bringing to the table - I was convinced that a product that is not like MSOffice stood a good chance of being appreciated by a sizeable minority.

The big celebrity at that conference was Andreas Gobel, the team leader for the development of Q&A 5.0. Andreas and I ducked into a corner and talked tech. It was his first Q&A conference also, and he was also amazed. We talked a lot about what was good (and bad) about Q&A. I think we both had our first inklings about Sesame at that conference.

Andreas, as most of you know, is one of the primary contributors to Sesame. He is also a member of this forum.

The next conference (in SoCal a couple of years later) was the one where Lantica announced its existence and announced Sesame. Again, the sense of community and the sharing of information (Lantica leaks information like a love-drunk spy) was the primary focus of the conference. If the Washington conference convinced us to write Sesame, the SoCal conference decided what kind of company Lantica would be. Much of the development model (user-centric) we employ was determined at that conference.

I really can't say what I will come away with from this next conference. It is always a surprise. When Andreas went to the conference in Washington, he was stunned by the things the users had done with Q&A - much of which he didn't even know was possible. Lantica can provide the bricks and boards, hammers and circular saws, but it is the conference attendees that build the houses. And, in a circle, by seeing those houses, Lantica discovers what we need to do next.

Over and beyond all of that, the most wonderful thing that seems to happen at the conference is the conversations among the users. The person sitting on your right has just solved the problem you are just about to face, and the person on your left is just dying to learn the technique you just invented.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 3:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Better make it a soda.

It is fine with me even if Ray wants a glass of milk. We can live dangerously and even make it chocolate milk. Around these parts (Sesame Forum) we do not care about age or anything else Not even operating system preference.(many of us fall into the category of 8 to 80 some of us are even blind, crippled or crazy)
What we care about is that the person has the desire to be part of the Sesame community. Ray you are a big part of that community from the support you give and the great examples you have shown. I look forward to learning more about what you have to say over that glass of milk, soda, water or anything else you decide to drink.

Robert

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

gltzygail

No personal text

Reply #7 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 3:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Around these parts (Sesame Forum) we do not care about age or anything else Not even operating system preference.(many of us fall into the category of 8 to 80 some of us are even blind, crippled or crazy)

Bob,

I am thrilled to hear how inclusive you feel the people out here are. Smiley (I trust you) I was reluctant to come to the conference because I am new to this and have never attended the previous events that many others have. I was afraid I would be standing around lost and feeling excluded. Knowing I fit the standard range of 8 till 80 and a little crazy I told my husband he is watching the kids and my registration form is on its way. After all the E-mail conversations and forum lurking it will be nice finally meeting people face to face.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 7:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Bob,

I am thrilled to hear how inclusive you feel the people out here are. Smiley (I trust you) I was reluctant to come to the conference because I am new to this and have never attended the previous events that many others have. I was afraid I would be standing around lost and feeling excluded. Knowing I fit the standard range of 8 till 80 and a little crazy I told my husband he is watching the kids and my registration form is on its way. After all the E-mail conversations and forum lurking it will be nice finally meeting people face to face.

I'm not the most experienced person here when it comes to the Users Conference (I've been to two), but from what I've seen beginners are always very welcomed by the regulars.

It will be nice to meet a lot of the forum members face to face. Like most forums we have a lot more "lurkers" than "posters". A lot of Sesame users seem to be a little "net shy".

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2004 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
It is fine with me even if Ray wants a glass of milk. We can live dangerously and even make it chocolate milk. Around these parts (Sesame Forum) we do not care about age or anything else Not even operating system preference.(many of us fall into the category of 8 to 80 some of us are even blind, crippled or crazy)
What we care about is that the person has the desire to be part of the Sesame community. Ray you are a big part of that community from the support you give and the great examples you have shown. I look forward to learning more about what you have to say over that glass of milk, soda, water or anything else you decide to drink.

Robert

Hello Robert I humbly accept your offer and will gladly join you for a drink and conversation at the User Conference.

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Jax

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 9:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have attended the last three Q&A events ...not as a delegate but as the wife of one of the delegates. I too have had a great time, and can confirm that the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming and enjoyable.  I can't really comment on the technical content, but as an observer I would say that most people think it is worthwhile going. 

Quite a few people attend with their partners who get to know each other at the "get acquainted party" on the first evening. I have spent many very enjoyable days sightseeing, shopping and lunching with others that I have met from all over the US, Canada, Europe and New Zealand. ....well there has to be some benefit for us Sesame widows!

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2004 at 10:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Jax,

You are now a Sesame user Smiley besides being a Sesame widow so the shopping spree will need to be worked in around the conference.

Tell hubby the rule in the states is big conference big shopping spree. This should be a huge conference so you will need to plan on a huge shopping spree.  Grin

IP Logged

Jax

Reply #12 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't know about that! 

I see from the hotel website that there are good rail links to DC and Baltimore, and for those with cars there are some really interesting places to visit.

Anybody know what the weather is likely to be in early October?  I seem to remember that when the Q&A bash was in DC a few years ago it was beautiful and warm, but I can't remember whether that was September or October!

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #13 - Sep 2nd, 2004 at 4:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Anybody know what the weather is likely to be in early October? 

The farmers Almanac that predicts the weather a year in advance and is most of the time at least as accurate as the local news 5 day forecast predicts for the Baltimore area   

October 1-5: Warm, some t-storms
Average Temperature: 61° (2° above avg.);

October, 2004 Precipitation: 4" (0.5" above avg. north; 2" above south)

Jax brings up a great point about spouses joining in the fun. Not only is this a great opportunity for Sesame users to learn great stuff about Sesame but it is also a great excuse for you and your spouse to have a little getaway escape (besides husbands, wives, girlfriends or boyfriends gripe less about you being away if they get to go also)

So if the weather is great shopping and sightseeing is fun if weather is rainy think of the romantic rainy night you can spend with the one you love.  Wink

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2004 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
For those of us who can't make it, would it be possible to record the teaching sessions, for sale after the conference ?  Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print