Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Naming Tab pages (Read 2430 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Naming Tab pages
Oct 12th, 2004 at 1:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Can we look forward to being able to name Tabs on pages?  It is not a problem to change Labels, but I cannot seem to be able to change names.  I can go through the mechanics but the values do not take.

With Beta 1.0.5 I am trying to use the Tab Sequencing on forms for the tab key.  But the names of the TabPages are there with numbers v. names.  So it is necessary to go back and take notes about which Tab Page label goes with which Tab Page number.

It is even more confusing when I have Tabs on top of Tabs on top of others.

This iimage show the contents on one of the three tab pages in the center, but I cannot tell which one of the three, it is designated as TabPage5.  There are 5 tabs along the bottom and three more on the third bottom tab.  Is there a rule for the numbering that we can follow?:

This image is more confusing.  There are 5 tabs on the bottom, all labeled, but only one tab is listed for the formwhixh is selected, and that shows the second Name/Label.  Why not all five?  Why the second tab vs. the first or the fifth?.  Compared to the previous image where all three of those tabs are listed as TabPage"n".  Shouldn't all five bottom tabs be listed so I can control the Tab Sequencing?

Again, I think just being able to assign names would be best.  This will become more important as we start to us the new commands for controlling default tabs, etc.

Thanks for listening.......

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Re: Naming Tab pages
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 2:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
???     ???    ???
Unusual not to have a response for over one week and no conference taking place....... Roll Eyes

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 3:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
We made note that you have put in a feature request to have individually renamable tab pages. It would help if you sent in an actual feature request, as opposed to using the forum.

Please know that everytime we fix a bug or implement a feature based on a forum posting without an official bug report or feature request, we get in trouble with the folks that pay us. Essentially, we do it for free, or we fill in the bug report/feature request ourselves (which means it goes pretty low on the stack, unless we can show that it is universal or dire).

We essentially have a rigorous "triage" for bugs / feature requests that includes the severity, universality, and source of the report. End users with crashing, data corrupting bugs caused by common user actions - get the highest priority. Lanticans, who are not in marketing, with interesting new ideas (though not generally useful or appealing ideas) that are hard to implement and have possibly dire side effects - have the lowest priority.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 4:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for your explanation Mark. 

But perhaps I worded this issue incorrectly.  This is not really a request for a future feature, I think it is a problem with the current 1.0.5 version that does not work properly.  There seems to be inconsistency in how TabPages are listed when trying to do the TabSequencing.

Or if you say it is working properly, then an explanation of the naming of TabPages would be useful.

And I agree, problems with existing users, crashing, corruptions, etc. should be top priority.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 4:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'll look at the Navigation Order when there are nested Tabs.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 5:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
And I agree, problems with existing users, crashing, corruptions, etc. should be top priority.

Not really my point. My point was that you should send in an actual bug report (or feature request (if applicable)) instead of or in addition to, posting here.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 5:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can do that, but don't want to send bugs that aren't real either. 

One of the benefits of the forum is that we can find out how ignorant we are before sending up false alarms.  Many things have turned out to be our own mistakes and learning curve.  At least the forum may bring back suggestions to indicate I am doing something wrong or suggest an alternative method. 

Surprising that no one else is seeing this, and thus no other comments, but I also realize that only a limited number of people may have loaded  the beta 1.0.5 from the Users Conference, and also tried using TabSequencing on pages with nested tabs. 

Thanks again for listening.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 6:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Can do that, but don't want to send bugs that aren't real either. 

One of the benefits of the forum is that we can find out how ignorant we are before sending up false alarms.  Many things have turned out to be our own mistakes and learning curve.  At least the forum may bring back suggestions to indicate I am doing something wrong or suggest an alternative method.   

Actually that is one of the reasons why we are encouraging everyone to send bug reports, instead of merely posting. It allows the reporter a degree of privacy they may very well want. It also allows us the chance to test whether its a "real" bug, without implying to the lurkers and neophytes that it is a "real" bug.

We have never had any kind of policy to hide or duck responsibility when real bugs get posted here or anywhere else. We try our best to stand up to the plate and take 'em right on the chin. But I must say that I get pretty irked when someone posts something with a title implying that its a failure, bug, or whatever - and then when it is publicly discovered that it is not, we end up with a black mark on the forum. A lot of people never get to that last post that explains the missunderstanding, all they see is: Big Math Bug in Reports, or whatever.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2004 at 6:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Bob,

I will answer your questions one at a time from your original post.

Quote:
This image show the contents on one of the three tab pages in the center, but I cannot tell which one of the three, it is designated as TabPage5.  There are 5 tabs along the bottom and three more on the third bottom tab.  Is there a rule for the numbering that we can follow?:

The numbering of Tab pages goes in the order that they were added. The first one is TabPage, the second one is TabPage0, The third one is TabPage1 and so on.

Quote:
This image is more confusing.  There are 5 tabs on the bottom, all labeled, but only one tab is listed for the formwhixh is selected, and that shows the second Name/Label.  Why not all five?  Why the second tab vs. the first or the fifth?.  Compared to the previous image where all three of those tabs are listed as TabPage"n".  Shouldn't all five bottom tabs be listed so I can control the Tab Sequencing?

The one that is listed on the form is not an individual Tab it is the entire tab group. In your frmPatients the Main Tab group is named tabAgency probably done so when trying to set the name of the second tab. Your second tab group which is on your third tab is actually named "TabSpecIn".

Tab Order can not set the order which a person tabs through the actual tabs. It is used to set the order which the user tabs through the elements. For example if you set the Tab order for TabPage2(RX) to

RXDate
OT
tabSpecIn
PT
SpecIn

If You hit the tab key when you are in RXDate you will be taken to the check box OT. Hit the tab key once more and you will be taken to the Tab group.

You can control the order of the three tabs on the RX tab by moving them Left or Right. You can do this by right clicking on the tab group and then selecting the Move Tab Page Right or Move Tab Page Left choices.

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2004 at 9:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

I think I fall into the category your referring to users about posting with a subject about a bug, and more often than not, its my own programming error.

The reason I come here first is for the exact reason Bob mentioned above. I feel that discussing the issue may prove it isnt really a bug, and thus should not be reported as one.

I'll put more thought into how I post in the future. Thanks for the tip. I want to see Lantica portrayed in the best light possible.

Ps. Should I modify my post subjects with the words "Resolved"?

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2004 at 8:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark,

I'll put more thought into how I post in the future. Thanks for the tip. I want to see Lantica portrayed in the best light possible.

Ps. Should I modify my post subjects with the words "Resolved"?

Steve

Not really necessary. Post as you would post. No need to ever revise. If Sesame becomes a big success, I would love to hear someone say that it was because we are as open and connected to our users as we could possibly be.

We've certainly seen that different users like to communicate with us in different ways. Some prefer the forum. Others call tech support. Some only talk to customer service. Still others only contact us at the User's Conference. Some, of course, don't talk to us at all.

I would rather have a few "bad" postings than be out-of-touch. The absolute worst is when someone has been hitting their head against some problem for days, telling no one, getting angrier with Sesame and Lantica - when a phone call, email, or forum post could've resolved their problem in minutes.

I believe that the period between the discontinuation of Q&A and the release of Sesame, allowed a lot of the communication channels, and even the "sense of community" to decay. We are doing our best to reestablish both. I certainly hope that the other forum members (the "lurkers") will see that the forum is an opportunity afforded by few other software companies. Most don't allow their developers to talk with customers at all. Some (one in particular) seem to have a problem with their developers talking to anyone at all.

To be too honest, we (the developers) set up this forum (in part), to give us a channel to the users that hasn't been filtered in any way. It isn't really fair. It has become clear that the forum posters are not especially representative of our users as a whole. But, because they post, they receive a "louder" voice.

IP Logged