Normal Topic Print Records (Read 2259 times)
Foster
Ex Member

Print Records
Oct 13th, 2004 at 3:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
I know in the past you told why we could not have coordinate printing.  I just went to Access and saw why I can't use it.  But noticed that you can print multiple records to a page.  Not the same or as well as Q&A, but it got job done with just a click and no programing.  Please  try to add this feature to Sesame. Cheesy

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Print Records
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2004 at 3:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK. Meanwhile, until we add this particular way to put multiple records on a page, there are ways already in Sesame to do this, including PrintString and FreeForm reports.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

bstone30

No personal text

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 1:32am
Print Post Print Post  
I just read through the posts concerning report printing issues and would like to concur with those who are frustrated with Sesame's limitations in printing the kind of reports we relied on using QA.   I know the problem is being worked on, and I certainly hope this is a priority.  I can live with the current reports for now, but I am especially concerned about printing forms.  We are required by certain state agencies to use multipart forms that certain information must be submitted on.   Can Sesame format output to print in the boxes.  From the discussion, it doesn't sound like it can.  HELP!!  Embarrassed     HTML output has its advantages, but who has time to (or the staff who can)  tweak every report in HTML?  We would never get any work done!!!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 10:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I am especially concerned about printing forms.  We are required by certain state agencies to use multipart forms that certain information must be submitted on.   Can Sesame format output to print in the boxes.  From the discussion, it doesn't sound like it can.  HELP!!  Embarrassed    

Sesame can format output to print in the boxes on preprinted forms with a precision, flexibility and level of control that far exceeds Q&A's. The SBasic PrintString command allows you to place any piece of text (including calcuated values that don't appear on your Form) in any position on a page you want using precise coordinates. Nobody needs to tweak HTML and you are not limited to Q&A's definition of a "line".

Incidentally, 1.0.5 greatly increases the capabilities of reports. After the presentation at the Conference, several previous naysayers changed their opinions on Sesame reports. We showed how to easily do most of the things people have been complaining about (the exception being page headers), and we built about 20 formatted reports from scratch right in front of everybody in under an hour, while still taking the time to describe them.

As to HTML, Sesame produces HTML output. It does NOT require YOU to write HTML  unless you want to do something very fancy or special, at which point, it allows you to do so. For normal reports, you just drop the values you want into the report.

- Hammer
IP Logged

pineberry

No personal text

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 3:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Smiley I concur wholeheartedly with Hammer's response. I had questions about the flexibility of the reports until the excellent presentation at the conference.

IP Logged

bstone30

No personal text

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 3:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika. I will now have to learn how to use the SBasic PrintString command.  I hope that you are not getting annoyed at educating novices like me. Roll Eyes

I have another question about report formatting.  When I do a break in order to group a list of names, (same client with several records),  the header prints above each break. Is there anyway to supress printing of the header after the initial time it prints at the top of the page?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 4:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Erika. I will now have to learn how to use the SBasic PrintString command.  I hope that you are not getting annoyed at educating novices like me. Roll Eyes

I have another question about report formatting.  When I do a break in order to group a list of names, (same client with several records),  the header prints above each break. Is there anyway to supress printing of the header after the initial time it prints at the top of the page?

There is in 1.0.5. 1.0.5 can have multiple groups. Make a Group that is first in the report and doesn't break. Put your column headers in it. It will print once at the beginning of the report and never again. Alternately, if your header is not something that must line up with your columns, you can use the View Header section.

- Hammer
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 5:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
In 1.0.4, you can also simply blank the LEs that are in the group header after they have printed the first time, using SBasic. They will then still provide a break, but will only appear once. Not as good a solution as those available in 1.0.5 (multiple groups), in that it takes a little bit of programming (about 4 lines code, plus one line for each LE in the header).

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

bstone30

No personal text

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 8:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark.... those four lines of code would be?? Grin

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2004 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Those 4 lines of code can be found in the sample application at http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=samples;action=display;...

You declare a Global Static in Global code
Code
Select All
Stat gsSetLabels as Int
gsSetLabels = 0 

Then in the on print event of one of the static text elements in the group header goes code like the following

Code
Select All
If gsSetLabels = 0 Then
{
gsSetLabels = 1
}
Else
{
//clear the labels to a space
Label(myLabel, " ")
} 

Raymond Yoxall Consulting