Normal Topic QuestionUser function (Read 1273 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

QuestionUser function
Oct 10th, 2004 at 3:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Using the Beta version 1.0.5 and would like to suggest two possible changes be made to the QuestionUser function. 

1.  When the Window opens for user input, the focus should be in the Text field, not on the Cancel button.  Current status means leaving the keyboard to go to mouse, or getting in habit of using Tab or SH-Tab to get to the field for data entry.

2.  It would be good to be able to define the coordinates of the QuestionUser window to control its placement.  This ability should really be allowed for any pop up windows, similar to the new PopUpSelectPosition function.  Example, add this feature also to the WriteLn function along with the new Open/Close Slate commands.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Re: QuestionUser function
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2004 at 6:46am
Print Post Print Post  
Some further toughts on QuestionUser:

1.  Would be good to have the choice to define as a modal or non-modal window.

2..  Another powerful feature would be the ability to have a user defined timeout.  Having a default value is a nice tool that is already there, used with a timeout makes a great  combination.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2004 at 12:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Using the Beta version 1.0.5 and would like to suggest two possible changes be made to the QuestionUser function. 

1.  When the Window opens for user input, the focus should be in the Text field, not on the Cancel button.  Current status means leaving the keyboard to go to mouse, or getting in habit of using Tab or SH-Tab to get to the field for data entry.

No choice seems right for everyone. SInce it was introduced, we have entertained suggestions for each of the three possibilities - the "Accept" button being the "vote" winner. Should we force it to the text widget - then the user would still have to navigate to the Cancel or Accept buttons using Tab / Shift-Tab. Currently, we do not force focus at all, but simply let it default. My personal preference is that it land in the text widget if there is no default value and land on the Accept button if there is a default value. While, that sounds ideal, I am afraid the inconsistency might be confusing - especially since the indication of focus is small in regard to buttons and smaller in an empty text field.

Quote:
2.  It would be good to be able to define the coordinates of the QuestionUser window to control its placement.  This ability should really be allowed for any pop up windows, similar to the new PopUpSelectPosition function.  Example, add this feature also to the WriteLn function along with the new Open/Close Slate commands.

The coordinates of popups with true window frames is determined by windowing system preferences set in the desktop. To interfere with the user's settings is to be a poor windowing citizen indeed. We do not determine, control, or interfere with any such settings. Doing so runs counter to the specifications in MSWindows and the specs for all of the many X11 desktops. This is done so that users do not have guess with each of their applications where such windows will appear, and so that the end user can customize the behavior of all of their desktop applications without worrying about renegades. In most circumstances, windows with full frames (those that allow the user to move the window by dragging the frame), do not accept coordinates for position on creation. They can be moved after creation via the APIs, but that is even more disconcerting to the desktop user.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2004 at 12:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Some further toughts on QuestionUser:

1.  Would be good to have the choice to define as a modal or non-modal window.

I personally prefer that all dialogs be non-modal, but in this case that is not possible. SBasic (the actual runtime environment) is non-reentrant. That means that SBasic code can launch events, but the programming triggered by those events must be run sequentially. To allow non-modal behavior would also allow the user to trigger additional event code to run, while still processing the event that invoked the dialog. We could (and under some circumstances - do) queue the event code. But the user could then leave the dialog on the screen, advance to an inappropriate record, close the form, even change the form displayed - then answer the dialog, causing the return value code of the dialog to run - attempting to fill out LEs that no longer exist, or (worse) the same LE on a different and inappropriate record.

Quote:
2..  Another powerful feature would be the ability to have a user defined timeout.  Having a default value is a nice tool that is already there, used with a timeout makes a great  combination.

Given that it must be modal, a timeout would serve only to force the user to answer the question within an allotted period or lose their opportunity. Great for game shows, not so good for data accuracy.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2004 at 4:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Embarrassed  Thanks for listening Grin

But you know me ,
I will always be asking for more. Roll Eyes Grin

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2004 at 4:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
And, hopefully, you guys know that I am always trying to get more for you. Thats why, when I can't, or the feature requires further consideration, I feel it is necessary to explain why I didn't just drop it in.

IP Logged