Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Relational / Combo-Box Programming help? (Read 5336 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Relational / Combo-Box Programming help?
Reply #30 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 6:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

Sorry for the wild goose chase, but I think its the populatelistelement that is the culprit..

I had a typo in the stringarray command so populatelistelement was either blank or had invalid characters and was causing a crash.

Also, early on I was populating the combo box with info pulled from an xlookup. In preview mode, the xlookup didnt work, so there was no string to send to the populatelistelement command. I was crashing everytime I went into preview mode. An 'If <> ""' helped out there.

Shall I send in my ap?

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #31 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 6:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
The blank value in Preview shouldn't be causing the crash. PopulateListElement is managing a failed Xlookup fine in our testbed. So, yes, we'd still like to see the app.

Invalid characters may cause a problem, but, even so, we'd like to discover what those characters are so we can try to intercept them.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #32 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 1:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

I just emailed my app to you. Its held together with a bunch of 'If/then statements' and duct tape Smiley

No need to send it back unless you can fix the combo boxs to fire only when they are supposed to. Otherwise, I'll just put the commands in a button until the next patch comes out.  Cry

Thanks again for all your help and the 'overtime tutoring' this weekend.

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #33 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,

I also responded to you privately, but the problem is that you are returning a blank value from the X command, then passing it to @SortStringArray, then trying to check its length. If @SortStringArray is handed an empty string to sort, it can return a true NULL. If you then try to operate on that variable, you will likely crash.

We've now forced it to return a zero-length string in that case, but, meanwhile, if you don't get a value back, don't try to sort it!  Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print