Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Output Keyword field as separate lines (Read 1751 times)
robwood_ok

No personal text

Output Keyword field as separate lines
Apr 24th, 2004 at 5:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
In Q&A you could create a Keyword Report (the separate items in a Keyword field would each get their own line on the report). 

How can I accomplish this with Sesame?

Robert

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Output Keyword field as separate lines
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2004 at 5:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Reports are based on the record sets.  If you have fields with type as Keyword, then you just need to enter the desired values into that field of the Retrive Spec to get the correct record set results.  Then run your report.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

robwood_ok

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
But the main point of the Q&A Keyword report was to print out ALL information in a Keyword Field. 

I have used it for years to create a "list" of information included in a single article.  Then I keyword report it, and I have an instant alphabet sorted index.  My last printout was a 3 column 100 page index of 25 years of information.   

Could someone create a "program" to do this, since Sesame can't?

Robert

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2004 at 7:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK, I see what you are talking about.  A Keyword report where you put "K" into the Column/Sort spec field for the Keyword.
Quote:
Could someone create a "program" to do this, since Sesame can't?
I may be able to help you Robert.  Can you submit the names of the fields you are using, and some sample of data that would show results, maybe just 3 records will be enough for me. 

My first look suggests to me that I can probably delete lines where the keyword is duplicated if that would be useful.  Probably not since you are also printing other fields.

But I think you have found a bug that should be fixed vs. creating a special program to deal with this.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

robwood_ok

No personal text

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 12:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
I agree that Sesame should do this (it is the only reason I stuck with Q&A all of these years over everything else available).

Here are 3 sample records.  For my usage, I use a combination of the first few fields to select the records, then I "Keyword" the last field "Contents" for my main report.   

"MailingNbr","Pages","Author","Title","Contents"
"9","4","Gilliam, Rick","Miscellaneous Review V2 #2","Miscellaneous Review V2 #2 (Gilliam) (9,4); Baseball Players from Alabama (Gilliam,MR2#2) (9,4)"
"39","6","Burkert, Tom","Indexes Unlimited #30","Indexes Unlimited #30 (Burkert) (39,6); Baseball in the Movies (Burkert,IU30) (39,5)"
"49","10","Nolan, Michelle","Newsstand Dreams #06","Newsstand Dreams #06 (Nolan) (49,10); Sports Comics Index, Part 1 (Nolan, ND6) (49,9);Amazing Willie Mays, The nn index Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Baseball Comics nn index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Smash-Hit Sports V2 1 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Baseball Thrills 10,2-3 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Football Thrills 1-2 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Bill Stern's Sports book 10,2-3 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Mel Allen Sports Comics 5-6 index (Nolan, ND6) (49,1); Pride of the Yankees nn index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Home Fun 3 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Swat Malone 1 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Baltimore Colt nn index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1); Sports Thrills 11-15 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)"

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 1:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is what you want as a report of Keywords?

Quote:
Amazing Willie Mays, The nn index Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Baltimore Colt nn index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Baseball Comics nn index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Baseball in the Movies (Burkert,IU30) (39,5)
Baseball Players from Alabama (Gilliam,MR2#2) (9,4)
Baseball Thrills 10,2-3 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Bill Stern's Sports book 10,2-3 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Football Thrills 1-2 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Home Fun 3 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Indexes Unlimited #30 (Burkert) (39,6)
Mel Allen Sports Comics 5-6 index (Nolan, ND6) (49,1)
Miscellaneous Review V2 #2 (Gilliam) (9,4)
Newsstand Dreams #06 (Nolan) (49,10)
Pride of the Yankees nn index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Smash-Hit Sports V2 1 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Sports Comics Index, Part 1 (Nolan, ND6) (49,9)
Sports Thrills 11-15 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)
Swat Malone 1 index (Nolan,ND6) (49,1)

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

robwood_ok

No personal text

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 2:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes that is what I want Sesame to output.  Current output from Sesame is just 1 line with an entire keyword field's contents on that line.   So how much massaging of the data outside of Sesame is going to be required?

BTW, I do appreciate your help on this issue.  Thanks.

Robert

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 3:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have some tools here that made this pretty simple, but you may be able to do the same thing in this manner:

1.  Export the Keywords field to an ASCII text file.  Use No Quotes.  Use semicolon delimiter.  Use no templates.  That should put all records onto one line.

2.  Use a spreadsheet like Excel to open this ASCII file.  This should bring in every Key Value on its own line.

3.  Now use the Sort feature of the spreadsheet to reaarrange the Key Values alphabetically.

4.  Now save the spreadsheet file.

5.  Now you can print out the results or send the results to another text file again.

=============================
Caution, those steps are untested by me.  It is just a theoritical way for you to accomplish this until Lantica corrects the problem. 

If those steps work for you, then you could create an autoexecute macro in Excel to do that.  In Sesame you could export the file, use @Shell to open up Excel and execute the Excel macro, close Excel and return to Sesame.

Or you can periodically send me your exported file and I may be able to create the final list for you.  You could use the page I set up for creating a hierarchical export file at www.sensiblesolutions.org/Q&AToSesame.htm. ; Ignore the instructions there.  Just export the single KeyWord field to an ASCII file as noted above.  Zip it up and upload on that page.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 10:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
One more new thought:  To stay with Sesame, and not need to use another program like Excel, consider this option.

Rather than importing to Excel to do the sorting, you could import into a special, single field, database within your Sesame application.  Then you could retrieve all the records in that database, sorted, and then run your "KeyField" report from Sesame.

Now that we can do all of that within Sesame, then we should be able to make a Sesame macro to do that.  Once the macro is made, we can now create a function to run the report, or add a button on a form to run the KeyWords report which will call the macro.

I like it. Grin
Now you have the roadmap, just need to take the trip.   Enjoy!

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 3:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Just got another thought.

In Sesame use a different design from Q&A.  Rather than making a key field in the existing database like you do now, add that information as a new record in that single field database (KeyFields) that I suggested you import to. 

You could create a routine on Form Exit to Add a Record in a that KeyFields database if certain conditions existed, then return you back to where you were, ie: adding another new record in first database.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2004 at 4:40am
Print Post Print Post  
My suggestion to import into Sesame may need some more work.  I was thinking of importing a file that had all KeyValues, fields, and records separated by a semicolon since that is what you use in the KeyField.  But Sesame does not currently allow imports using semicolon as a separator.   It will only accept comma delimiters.

And you can still do a combination.  Import the semicolon delimited file into Excel.  Then you can export from Excel into a "Quote-Comma" delimited file, because no more semicolons will exist.

So until Sesame can import with semicolon delimiter, you will still need to use something like Excel, unless you follow my second suggestion to add a KeyWord record on the fly as you enter records in your main database.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

robwood_ok

No personal text

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2004 at 9:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestions Bob.

With all of the ins and outs required, it looks like it world be easiest on me to export from Sesame, import to Q&A and then keyword it back out.   If I have to use an outside program, I might as well use one that will create the least number of steps. 

Hey Lantica, any chance of "fixing" Keyword Reporting ? (either adding it to Sesame or creating a utility)

Robert

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2004 at 12:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
It's on the list of possible features for future versions.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged