Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reverse view subform? (Read 1707 times)
Checkyboy

No personal text

Reverse view subform?
Apr 13th, 2004 at 12:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all,

I'm fiddling away, trying to rebuild my Q&A database to be better and stronger with Sesame, and I have a question the manual doesn't address.

Currently in Q&A, our call management software uses the Calculation button to manage a series of 12 date/note lines.  Each time F8 is pressed, the notelines are shoved down one, leaving the top line free for the newest update on a client.

Is there any way to get a 'top to bottom' sorting of subforms in Sesame, to allow me an infinite number of notelines, but keeping the most recent to the top?

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Reverse view subform?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2004 at 1:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes. Set a default sort order for the subform.

I have done this for myself. The only thing is, to add a new note, you'll need to add it to the bottom of the list. But it will display at the top the next time the parent form is brought up. (To see it sorted correctly right away, you can just Ctrl-F10, Ctrl-F9.)

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2004 at 1:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Currently in Q&A, our call management software uses the Calculation button to manage a series of 12 date/note lines.  Each time F8 is pressed, the notelines are shoved down one, leaving the top line free for the newest update on a client.

Chekyboy,

I have been playing with a notes database similar to what you are talking about. Have you thought of other features that you will implement into yours like some canned notes or time date stamping or?  I would love to hear how you plan on using yours. I find that I learn great ideas and solutions from learning how others use similar products.

In testing one of the problems I found was that there needs to be more then one level of notes. For example your call center reps are just entering standard notes that sort in reverse order. But what happens when a manager needs to put in a note that has a more important value like Never call this client or Cash upfront only.

You would want these types of notes to be sticky and always be on top.

The solution we found was to have 2 notes databases, with the subform of the management notes directly above the subform for standard notes. The standard notes sort in reverse order but the mgmt notes stay at the top.

We also put an element called NoteType in front of the multiline text element that contains the note that needs to be filled before you can enter the note. Based on this element we use @color to signify the type of note. A collectors note is in red, Customer service is blue, accounts receivable person notes green etc.

I have plans in the future to try and create different command buttons that will sort the notes based on department (NoteType) so if a user for simplicity purposes only wanted to see collections notes grouped together with a push of a button they could.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Checkyboy

No personal text

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2004 at 2:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob!

Sounds like you and I are building something very similar.  What I'm running right now is a Q&A database, with each record maintaining about 250 fields, and the master database having about 250,000 records.  Given all the jury-rigging I've done to make Q&A act like a relational database, I'm deciding it's better to build from scratch.

Another way to handle 'sticky' notes is give each noteline a priority number.  Then show them sorted by priority, then by date.  A supervisor/manager can always change the priority of a note...

I can see the use of coloring the notelines.  We have three distinct departments here (collections, administration, and sales), and would find that sort of thing very useful.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Checkyboy

No personal text

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2004 at 2:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl, can you think of a way to have the notes as a subform that display top to bottom, but have a Note Entry field above that, and any data typed into that field will be considered a new record for the subform?  That would solve the flipping to the bottom part ...

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2004 at 3:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
I haven't played with this feature yet, but @FormNewRecord(form) sounds like is would do the trick. (Bottom of page 8 in the 103Supplement.pdf)

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 7:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl how do you set up a default sort order, i've skimmed through the manuals to try and find something for this but I haven't seen anything as of yet. Do I need to set up an on form entry programming spec to load the sort spec?

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #7 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 3:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Justin,

1) Enter [i]Search[/i] mode for the subform, [u]not[/u] the main form. (Assuming you want to sort your subform)
2) In the lower left window pane, set the sort specs you want.
3) Press "Alt-F8" and select "Sort" from the dropdown near the upper left of the [i]Spec Manager[/i] window.
4) Click on the "Save" tab and enter a name for the sort spec.
5) Click on the "[u]S[/u]ave" button.
6) Click the "Defaults" tab and highlight the name of the sort you just saved.
7) Click the "[u]S[/u]et Default" button.
8) Click "Close".

That sort spec should now be in place automatically everytime you run a search.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 1:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have done some more experimenting with this. using a default sort spec works but is slow. I also am finding that when reconciling my application I am continually losing my save, sort and merg specs. Anyone else finding this happens?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 2:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have done some more experimenting with this. using a default sort spec works but is slow. I also am finding that when reconciling my application I am continually losing my save, sort and merg specs. Anyone else finding this happens?

If you save your specs in the db, then reconcile a dsr that was created before the specs were saved, Reconcile sees that there is something is the db that does not exist in the dsr, therefore, it must have been deleted. If you are regularly creating new specs, you should make a fresh dsr from the db before making design changes. You can also save your specs in Preview mode for the dsr, to make sure they reconcile in.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #10 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 2:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks I was wondering if it was something like that. I'll also have to keep an eye out to make sure that once the database goes into production that the dsr is refreshed from the db before any programming changes are done so new specs aren't destroyed.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 2:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
using a default sort spec works but is slow.

Are you using relational linking? If so, that may be why it is slow. Natural linking is MUCH faster. You should use natural linking whenever possible.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 11:44am
Print Post Print Post  
The problem with using the natural linking is I've got to take into account how to export the data later... Although it looks like i'm going to be having to redesign a lot of the database I didn't realize that sesame was hierarchal as opposed to relational - will take a lot of rethinking on how to set it all up. The other thing about the notes is that they are accessed and modified from multiple different forms although with this new design i'm thinking of it might be possible to use natural linking... we'll see. Also its not the pulling up the notes that is slow but the actual sorting of the loaded notes.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 10:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I've got to take into account how to export the data later...

You can still have a key field on the naturally linked subform the same way you would on a relationally linked subform, giving you a way to link the data in a relational database product. [If I'm wrong here, someone please jump in and correct me.]

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged