Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Invoice System (Read 20300 times)
GW

No personal text

Invoice System
Mar 7th, 2004 at 7:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Becky, I have located the page http://www.taxwatch.biz/cgi-win/Kansas/TxWStateSite.exe/ZipCodeEntry which does lookups by zip+4 

1.  Would like to know if I can do this just using the first 5 digits.
Does the last 4 digits really result in different rates?  People on the same street have different rates? 66612-1234 could be different from 66612-2345?
(Never mind, I just did some tests and was quite surprised to see the results.  I have determined that the full 9 digits are needed. Forgot you've got some looooong roads in Kansas.  PS- we have lots of short roads, but NO SALES TAX, NO INCOME TAX here in NH ).

2.  Is it OK to just bring back the Total Tax Due?
Are you looking for State, County, City, Total Tax Rates to bring back?
Are you also entering the amount, and looking for the Total Tax Due, and/or Total Amount?

3.  We should probably make this a separate discussion item?   
Or use Private Messaging on the forum board?
Not really covered by subject "Inside Sesame March Issue"

Hi Bob,
Your right, this doesn't really fall under the discussion of the March issue of Sesame but our invoice form was similar to what came out in the March issue. Anyway have moved here

To answer your questions
Quote:
Would like to know if I can do this just using the first 5 digits.
Does the last 4 digits really result in different rates?

As you discovered, yes it does, heres an example zip code 67037 city of Derby, sales tax 6.8% add 4 digit zip of 8510 and it takes it outside the city limits to a county tax rate of 6.3% even though the address is Derby. Therefore, two address, one across the street from the other may have different +4 zips and different tax rates or even counties for that matter.

Quote:
Is it OK to just bring back the Total Tax Due?
Are you looking for State, County, City, Total Tax Rates to bring back?

Was looking to bring back the Total Tax % rate only.
What I have been working on trying to do is:if the invoice is taxable then do lookup on the LE of Zip and Zip4 under the shipping address, return the total tax rate to the LE TaxRate and show as % (customers want to see & check % rate charged). Activating the Calculate Button would add up the line items and place in LE Subtotal, convert the % rate of LE TaxRate to a decimal and multiply the Subtotal putting the resulting amount in LE SalesTax then proceed to Shipping and Total.

Still unsure if this is the way to go as we are relying on the States Dept of Revenues website for the look up as each invoice is done. If they change a link, move the database during update or what ever then our whole invoicing system is down.
Was thinking about setting the tax rate in our Customers db so the tax rate is placed in the invoice with the customer #. Trouble is ShipTo address may have a different Zip, Zip4 and tax rate than the BillTo address then some of our customers have 40 to 50 different job addresses to ship to; So now we would have to create a db of the customer jobs or add a subform to the customer db to show the tax rates for each shipping address.
What did you say no sales or state tax in NH  ??? that's gota be tuff Cry

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Invoice System
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2004 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Reference:  this is a discussion that was moved and continued from: http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...
=============================
Hi Becky

Here is something you can try right now.  Download the following virus-free file to your desktop:

I have made a version that should run on Win9x and XP/NT/2K systems:
http://www.sensiblesolutions.org/downloads/kansastaxrates4.exe

I did this before I had a chance to read your response.
This is just a preliminary routine to test that I can send and retrieve the correct information.  Do not need a browser, only need a connection to the Internet. 

You can test it out from your desktop by double clicking.  I have put in some error checks for invalid zip code lengths, values, etc., but it certainly is not dummy proof.  You should see result in a few seconds after entry.  You can then right-click in your application to paste the results.

As it is written right now, you could call this with @Shell.  The tax amount will be stored in your clipboard, but remember that it OVERWRITES whatever is already in your clipboard. 

At this point it is using data entry for source data.  When this is good, we can move to getting the info from Sesame.
When  you feel comfortable that is working correctly, then I can go to the next step which will require some info from you about your Sesame application.

Again, this may not work, so don't count on this as a solution yet.  Continue to consider other approaches.

This is based on the web site URL being a constant, and the continued use of the data format where the results show up.  There is a lot of flexibility about changes to their site which should not affect the results.  It should respond immediately to changes to the tax tables that they are using, should not require any updates at your end.

Give it a try and let me know the results.

Next version will bring back the tax rate vs. the tax amount.
==========================
Note: (Edited on 3/8/04, RMH)The download referenced here is the latest version that supercedes the original one that WAS posted here.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2004 at 11:58pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 2:58am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob
I dnloaded the exe. file and tried but was not sucessful in returning the amount.
Got a popup box with the following:

Macro Scheduler - Confirm
%MsgString%
Could not Calculate. Try again
Yes   No

Trying again produced the same popup.

Bob I appreciate your efforts on this but the more I think about this the less I like relying on retrieving the infomation from the states website.

Another problem that I just realized is that the Dept of Revenue said that this database would be updated quarterly, when a city or county has an increase in their sales tax rate (which is regular these days), the Dept of Revenue mail out the new tax rate immediately & prior to it taking effect.
If this was to happen after the db update and in the start of a quarter we (& others) would end up under charging sales tax which we would have to paid out of our own pocket at our tax reporting time.

I'm starting to lean more to adding it to the Customer database as mentioned in my previous post, this will give control to update the tables and add new addressse up to 3 months and in many cases 12 months  before the Dept of Revenue's db is updated.

This is possible because the US Postal Service issues the Zip & Zip4 when a new residental development is plated, the DOR don't add it to their db until the house is completed and added to the property tax roll, but in the meantime we ship product to the residence while under construction. go figure
About makes you want to pick grapes for a livin  Grin less headache

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 3:44am
Print Post Print Post  
I just finished a second version.

I am curious why the first one gave you those messages.  Some messages should come back if invalid Zip Code entered.

I could use the feedback on this small utility, even if you are not going to use it.  What OS are you using?  I just realized there are some sections that are OS specific.  If not using WIN9X, may be some issues.  Not really important since those areas only support the manual entry, not the connection with Sesame that was planned for final version.

I understand the issue on the timing of the updates.  Just a suggestion re creating it in Sesame.  Contact the Tax Department and see what it would take for you to access an electronic version of the current table.  This could probably be imported and reduce the original set up times.

Good luck with your project
======================================
Note: (Edited on 3/8/04, RMH)The download referenced here is the latest version that supercedes the original one that WAS posted here.

« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2004 at 11:58pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 4:08am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

Hope you don’t mind I downloaded file also. What is it written in ? how is it supposed to work?

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 4:34am
Print Post Print Post  
All are welcome to download.  Only has speciific application to Becky and Kansas, but I am interested in the interface I could do with Sesame.

How does it work?  Just double click and fill in the prompts for Zip Code basic 5 digits, ZipPlus 4 digits, and the Amount to be taxed.

It submits those values to a webpage, collects the results and makes them available to use locally.  Intent was to capture the zipcodes and amounts in Sesame fields, and fill in  the tax rate on the Sesame form.

This version uses manual data entry, and the result ends up in the clipboard for pasting.  A summary message is displayed on the screen for feedback of results.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 4:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob
tried your 2nd file but kept getting a incorrect zip message, even on my own zip. Will try again when I have more time.

OS is winXP pro and connection is dsl thru router and firewall

From the Revenue website I downloaded the tax rates in excel format but this only gives the % rates for city, county etc no Zip, Zip4. That db is the one thats not avaiable until May as mentioned

I think the big thing here will be having the point of sale invoice system laid out so what ever happens with the tax db it can be easily incorporated.
thanks for your help
becky

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 6:45am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for feedback Becky.

Earlier versions should be deleted.

The error message you were getting was because of XP OS, this version should eliminate that.  Thanks again for your efforts and support.

I will also make changes to the earlier postings to prevent anyone from wasting time trying to get earlier, non-existent files.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2004 at 12:00am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 2:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry Bob, no luck with the XP version
I receive an invalid zip code message for all correct zips entered, on a retry in the same window I get the dreaded XP message-
Kansastaxrates3_xp.exe has encounted a problem & needs to close - yada yada yada and wants to send a problem report (I do not send)
I do like the simplicity of your programme, although I haven't been able to successfully return a result yet, is there any reason this couldn't be placed within the invoice form or would it be better served from the system tray?
Has anyone else tried Bob's programme under XP and get the result. I wonder if its my settings.
An example Zip would be 67277 - 7712 amount 100.00 should return $106.30
I will try the 98 version on another machine later today and see what happens
thanks Bob
becky

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 3:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Has anyone else tried Bob's programme under XP and get the result. I wonder if its my settings.
An example Zip would be 67277 - 7712 amount 100.00 should return $106.30

I have tried it using the 67277 - 7712 example with the xp version. it does not return a value. However it has not crashed or closed on its own either.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 5:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
I will have to get onto an XP system for more testing.  This is what I get back on three WIN9x systems:

Again, this approach is not intended as a user intervention tool, but to automatically insert the tax rate into the Sesame field based on the values in the Sesame zip code fields.

I now have a version that "theoritically" should run on all WIN environments, but will wait for more feedback on existing 9X and XP versions.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2004 at 12:18am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,
Just to update you, I dnloaded the 9X version and put it on our last 98SE computer and it worked just great like your post above.
I then loaded it onto one of our ME  machines and once again it worked just like you intended.
On the
XP pro machine (where Sesame resides) neither version will work, they return an invalid zip message, another thing I noticed after the above message if I click to retry and get the dreaded XP fault message then close it, my screen saver.exe which is on the desktop no longer works, its restored after a reboot. I removed the sceen saver.exe to see if there was a conflict but ended up with the same results.

I must say the 9x version works fantasic and I appreciate all your effort, thankyou - also to the Lantica/Sesame team & the Sesame users out there, for without this forum I think I would have been at my witts end some time back.  Grin

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 12:17am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks again Becky.

I have made modifications and now have a version that should run on Win9x and XP/NT/2K systems:

Earlier versions should be deleted.

I was able to do testing on XP systems vs. using "theoritical" changes.  There were some XP specific issues that were not recogniized in the earlier versions.

I have also made changes to the earlier postings to prevent anyone from wasting time trying to get earlier, non-existent files.

This should be the last version.  It is possible that I do not have error trapping for every possible situation, but this was not intended as a finished product.  If valid Zip codes are used with any pure digit value (no commas, no dollar signs) , good results should come back.

You can treat it like any other program: make a desktop shortcut,  call it with @Shell, use it with any Windows program, not just with Sesame.  Remember the resulting Tax Rate is in your clipboard for pasting.

I will now move on to the Sesame interface vs. the human data entry on the pop up screen.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 4:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,
Well the good thing is your latest one (rates4) works like a dream.
The bad part is I'm afraid all your hard work may turn out to be in vein. Heres tonights breaking news-
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/breaking_news/8135610.htm
You know our Gov. use to be the Insurance commissioner here, she screwed that industry up now she's working on the State Angry
Will let you know what happens.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 5:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

Your utility works nicely. If I ever need tax info for Kansas I am set.  Grin

Thanks for the example. I love seeing creativity!

Is your utility made from some form of macro generator or is it done in a programming language?  Please tell us more about it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print