Normal Topic What do you do? (Read 2438 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

What do you do?
Apr 12th, 2004 at 4:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I guess most of you don't have too much trouble guessing what Erika, Ray, or I do for a living... But we often wonder what you folks do. And is your use of Sesame/Q&A related to your work, or is it part of a hobby, etc...?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Re: What do you do?
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2004 at 4:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been a forensic chemist for almost 29 years, and am a lab director of a crime lab.  The lab secretary and myself use Q&A (since about 1990 - starting with v2.0) for several small database needs such as mailing lists, vacation/sick leave records, etc.  These are "unofficial" apps., as our main office keeps the "official" records, but Q&A makes it quick and easy to get things done.  We have not converted to Sesame - yet.   Our lab system uses other software for its Laboratory Information Management System.

I use Q&A at home to keep up with various "hobby" type apps such as video/music collection, mailing lists, high school graduating class info, and so forth.  I've not spent enough time with Sesame to have converted my Q&A stuff yet, but that's in the near future, I hope!

IP Logged

JFisher

No personal text

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2004 at 2:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am an IBM retriree.  (IBM = I've Been Moved.) I worked in service, engineering and management for 28 years, and retired in 1987.
Now in New Mexico, I have three Q&A clients who are being converted to Sesame.  I have been a user rather than a programmer (except for Q&A), so Sesame buildup is slow.
We appreciate the caring attitude of the Lanticans.
Thanks
Jack

IP Logged

Kerinst

If you can't do it right
lemme do it wrong for
you

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 1:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm probably one of the oddest programmers here,   Grin since my main job is just to run around and buy parts for a highway construction company.  Our company used Q&A for thousands of years now *snickers* and I just started to learn programming of it recently when they decided to switch to Sesame.  So now I am teaching myself as I go and hoping my next application doesn't start a nuclear meltdown of our company so I can still use the internet and read the news occasionally   Cheesy

IP Logged

JJuarez

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 3:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am an AutoCad technician working for an Engineering Consulting Firm designing Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing here in Dallas.  I started using Q&A about 10 years ago where I used to work previously.  I will stress the word "using" because I an not a programer, although I do try and figure out what is posted and see what happens Grin.  I purchased Sesame just because I wanted to use for myself the next best thing after Q&A.  I have setup a small database here at my current work location to keep up with current location of drawings.
Nothing big on programing though  Undecided

IP Logged

jyellis
Members

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 7:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have three hats:

Hat#1
I belong to a volunteer organization call Sojourners...check us out at www.sojourning.org
Basically our group travels to small congregations who have requested help either evangelistic or physical help.  We are ALL self supporting and travel in RV's.  Our group is around 800.  Their records have been kept on Q&A since 1994 or 1996.  This January we converted to Sesame.

Hat #2
I am a "Software Consultant/Trainer".  I go into companies and train their employees on their proprietary software, MS Office, etc....My specialty is spreadsheets.

Hat#3
I have just taken on a job to create a program to sell to cities for their fire departments. (related to risk mgt)

But my favorite hat is my "Grandma" hat. 
Grandkids are God's gift for not killing your own kids

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2004 at 12:41am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm a maintenance supervisor for the housing authority here in town,  I have 3-employees in maintenance to help me, we do it all, I have 22-years invested here.I started on computers with a commodore 64 , then ibm mod.25 2-1.44 floppies monitor built in "green" later found a damaged model #25 with a color screen bought it 12.00 and put all my stuff in it, later installed a 40mb hard drive and was in heaven, my first inventory program was by ibm on two floppies, my work order program was in File Express, then migrated to Q & A and was using it to around 1998 when I started using access and have used it almost exclusively until now, could never get a couple of databases to work right in access "not smart enough", so when I heard about Sesame I thought maybe I would finally get a program that I could create a fully working application for all the things I have to keep up with, and so far I'm not disappointed, but look forward to future versions of sesame.My goal is to be microsoft free with a fully functional application by "55" running Linux. Grin Grin Grin
Doctor told me last week to change my lifestyle and diet or I won't see 55, so that might throw a monkey wrench in my plans   Cry Cry
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2004 at 7:27pm by proudpoppy »  

IP Logged