Normal Topic Make all Forms the same? (Read 1111 times)
Duane

New at this, will have
many newbie questions!

Make all Forms the same?
Jan 22nd, 2004 at 9:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a way to make any new forms to look the same, as far as backfill color, test size, text color, etc..

I started by translating the old QA Db's into Sesame, but with the additional field and "things" the boss wants to see the database's or application do, I might be at the point of throwing up my arms and bringing a consultant in.  Any good ones in the Northern VA area.  May sound like a cope out, but I'm a network person, not a DB admin.

Thanks,
Duane

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: Make all Forms the same?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 10:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
There isn't a "template" for a form but you can ...

* Copy a form, in Layout Manager
* Format one layout element as you want, then select and use "Make Like Me" to make the others look the same.

>> I might be at the point of throwing up my arms and bringing a consultant in.  Any good ones in the Northern VA area.
- Yes. Give Gordon Meigs a ring on 202-363-9895. He's in DC.

Alec
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 10:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I might be at the point of throwing up my arms and bringing a consultant in.

May sound like a cope out, but I'm a network person, not a DB admin.

Duane

From the Lantica Home Page at www.Lantica.Com
Under Support there is a links and resources option
It takes you to:
http://www.lantica.com/Support/sesame_links.html

These are people that know this stuff well. Do not feel like you are copping out. A smart person knows their limitations. I imagine many of us will be utilizing services of some type from these people.

The type of support that can be purchased from providers usually runs the gamete from complete design and development to just telephone and E-mail support.

Maybe some of the people listed on the links page can give us better idea of the types of service they can offer and the cost of contracting with them.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 11:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
I read that statement and interpreted it a little differently. ???

I guess I equate this passage to be sorta like cooking a good steak. It is something I can do. I can do it without much effort. I can cook it as soon as I take it out of the package, and it tastes pretty good when I am done.

Just like the Sesame application I put together, pretty nice looking, works ok, very functional but not up to the caliber that I would like to see it.

However when I go to a good steak house they take that same piece of meat and change it from just tasting pretty good to being an incredibly great tasting steak.

That is like Sesame or any other product or service that is ENHANCED with anothers experience knowledge and talent. I am sure with time and hard work any of us can learn to be great it just takes putting in the effort. Often times a consultant will speed the process and offer ideas we might not of thought of.

I never read anywhere in Lanticas philosophy that they promise to create a software package that will allow us to do everything we ever dreamed of without any effort or learning curve.

Well thats just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.  Grin

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 12:36am
Print Post Print Post  
Duane,

You don't need an excuse for not wanting to do everything yourself. Not wanting to and not being able to are two very different things. I assume you have a job at your company, and database translator is not it.  Grin

Please contact Gordon, as suggested in an earlier post. I'm sure he'll be able to help you out. Meanwhile, if you do decide you want to learn Sesame, most of us will be glad to help you out.

At this point in the release of a new product, everybody is a newbie. Please don't be afraid to ask questions. We'll be glad to try to answer and, if there are features or capabilites you'd like to see in future versions, your suggestions are welcome.
----------------------

BTW, Bob, I've personally been delighted that you and several other people have been able to jump in and create some fairly complicated relational applications with Tabs and Subforms and programming with very little guidance from us. I think that you are doing a great job of proving out the quote we used in that press release.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2004 at 12:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi Bob,
Well, I guess that conforms with your quote in this year-old press release.

Philadelphia, PA - March 01, 2003 - Lantica Software, LLC Issues Initial Beta Release of Sesame

According to Bob Scott, a Q&A power user, "Sesame is packed with amazing features and is surprisingly easy to use. The Lantica team has created an incredible product that is more than I could have ever asked for or dreamed of."

Almost 11 months later and I still feel the same. Cheesy

Sesame is packed with amazing features and is surprisingly easy to use.

To be truthful, it actually does more then I even dreamed it would do 11 months ago! Shocked

And just for the record I have no association or connection to Lantica or the lanticans other then purchasing Sesame. The only time I have met with them was at the 2 Q&A bashes I attended.  The only person associated with Lantica that I have ever had an in-depth conversation with is John Dow, who has done work on my application and who I would highly recommend to anyone who needs someone that is honest, fair and brilliant.

Enough said from me on this subject on to the next.   Grin

IP Logged