Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Suggestion Regarding People Resource Index (Read 1932 times)
josebetzy

Hmmm. How? Cómo?

Suggestion Regarding People Resource Index
Jan 18th, 2004 at 3:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Despite only having Sesame for a couple of weeks, I'm beginning to the see the possibilities. This is the first version only. I realized that I had to un QA myself and began to Sesame myself (hope you understand) in order to understand, learn and apply whats before me.

My son is a formal programmer and in the beginning he was critical, because he compared Sesame to what he knew. Then he sat down and began to read the manuals (what I should have done) and now he is telling me what to do and how to go about it. He says the SBasic is easy and incredibly easy to add code at the form level. He has never used QA. Its interesting that he sees many possibilities that I could not. He is helping me to change QA programs to Sesame structure to reduce repetition, make it faster and smaller.

I have a suggestion. On the Lantica home page there is a link that says Links and Resources . Is it possible, feasible or correct to add a list of those who have Sesame. This would allow for Clubs to be organized, persons to contact that are close and for new comers an index that they are not alone. I am one who likes personal contact. Messaging systems are great and they have their logical place and need. Sometimes we do not write clearly what we really want to express.

I know that the Lantica Team are able to do more than one task at a time, so just consider.

Thanks

Jose L. Muñoz

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: Suggestion Regarding People Resource Index
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is it possible, feasible or correct to add a list of those who have Sesame. This would allow for Clubs to be organized, persons to contact that are close and for new comers an index that they are not alone.

It is possible, but it would not be correct.  We at Lantica have a duty to our customers to protect their privacy. Whilst we encourage the forming of Sesame Users groups, it is not for us to do this.  This forum, on the other hand, is "your" forum.  Anyone who wants to can invite members of the forum to contact him/her and 'opt in' to a group.  But Lantica can't provide any customer lists.

I'm pleased that your son, despite being initially critical, likes Sesame and finds the programming easy.

Alec
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, we can encourage and request the members of this forum to write information about the location in their user-profile. This will help forming the user-groups by regions when time is right. By the way, this forum is great!

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 12:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
By the way, this forum is great!

I agree with you!  Smiley

Bharat_Naik,

One method to jump start this process might be for the people that were involved in the old regional Q&A user groups to try and contact members and see the interest level of having a group meet for Sesame.

Another neat concept might be to have something like the old Q&A forum chat night. We could set a particular night and times were users could chat online.

Finally in the absence of an official Lantica / Sesame sponsored Seminar / Bash maybe we could pick a State, Place and time were user could meet and informally help each other improve our skills. If we set it up for a weekend we might get a few more people.

I for one would love to see face to face how people are using Sesame and the method they used to achieve there goals. I bet we could all learn a ton from each other in a few short hours.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 12:13am
Print Post Print Post  
The QANERUG (Q&A New England Regional Users Group) is meeting on Saturday, 1/31, in Salem NH.  Although some attendees have not yet received their prepaid Sesame, they are still are coming to discuss Sesame.

We have already received a suggestion for our group, SNEEZ (copyright 2004) for Sesame New England Enthusiastic Zealots (I told June that I won't mention who suggested that, so I can't tell).  Other names will also be considered for final selection in 2 weeks.

================
Edited on 1/20/04 to correct acronym.  Thanks to Bob Scott and June.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2004 at 12:23am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 2:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
...Although some attendees have not yet received their prepaid Sesame

- Bob: by now I take it that everyone has received their copy of Sesame. I've checked with the sales dept and the backlog of pre-orders is now cleared.  I'd be obliged if you'd check with your  members. The only non-recipients who ordered before release date will be those whose credit cards were declined, or have expired, or have a bad shipping address. All of these people have been contacted.

Alec
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 3:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
We have already received a suggestion for our group, SNEEK (copyright 2004) for Sesame New England Enthusiastic Zealots (I told June that I won't mention who suggested that, so I can't tell). 

I realize that I have lots to learn with all the new features and concepts in Sesame but I just do not understand this piece of logic  Grin

S (Sesame)
N (New)
E (England)
E (Enthusiastic)
K (Zealots) with a k  ????????????????

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

June

Proud to be in SANE

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 6:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
SNEEZ

Roll Eyes

On problems:

IP Logged

June

Proud to be in SANE

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 7:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
[quote][Posted by: Alec Posted on: Today at 9:59am
on Jan 19th, 2004, 7:13pm, Bob_Hansen wrote:...Although some attendees have not yet received their prepaid Sesame 

- Bob: by now I take it that everyone has received their copy of Sesame. I've checked with the sales dept and the backlog of pre-orders is now cleared.  I'd be obliged if you'd check with your  members. The only non-recipients who ordered before release date will be those whose credit cards were declined, or have expired, or have a bad shipping address. All of these people have been contacted
/quote]

Alec,
That would be me Bob was referring to waiting patiently here for my Sesame Smiley
I did check status with Jay and he promptly replied (1/7/04) that mine would be shipped by 1/16/04.  So I anticipate I'll be seeing it very shortly!
I know it's worth the wait  Cheesy

June

On problems:

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 10:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
 Other names will also be considered for final selection in 2 weeks.

How about " S A N E "
- The Sesame Association of New England.
But no, on second thoughts ....
Smiley

Alec
IP Logged

June

Proud to be in SANE

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
How about " S A N E "
- The Sesame Association of New England.
But no, on second thoughts ....
Smiley

Building on that great suggestion....but knowing our group.....more apropos would be...
INSANE
The Illustrious, Notorious Sesame Association of New England   Smiley

On problems:

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 11:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think we have a winner! Grin  Grin  Grin

INSANE for me Grin

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2004 at 10:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the help Alec.   

June notified me this morning that she has received her new Sesame  Grin  Grin, and I would like to thank you for looking into this. 

It may have happened without you, but we know that you did some "backdoor" followup. 

Thanks again....

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged