Normal Topic Report Font and Column Width (Read 3455 times)
Alan

No personal text

Report Font and Column Width
Jan 12th, 2004 at 2:10am
Print Post Print Post  
I don't seem to be able to change the font size in reports.  I have tried the same report in Arial 10 & 12 and Bookman old style 8 & 12.  All reports look like they font is about 14 maybe 16 in either style.  Oddly enough the widest report is Bookman 8.  I've checked property viewer and it says both text and label are size 8. 

I can change the font size in forms.  It is set to Arial 11 so the report isn't picking up the font from the form.

Also is there any way to control column width and text wrapping in columns.

Thanks,
cbed

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Report Font and Column Width
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 12:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
HTML automatically adjusts column size based on the width of the values in the columns.

Which browser and version are you using?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Alan

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 6:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm using IE 6.0.

I'm also watching your discussion with Harley, "Compressed Printing".  And "Report Preview HTML Edit to Word/Excel".

Thanks
cbed

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2004 at 6:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
You say you use Property Editor to change the Font. Did you see my instructions to Harley in the other thread? If so, is that what you are doing?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Alan

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 2:51am
Print Post Print Post  
Ok I've got it now.  I wasn't changing each spec with all columns selected.  I thought it would apply all the font changes at the end.  In other words I'd change the font then select the column.  Select first then change font!  Also editing with Word allows further changes to font, column width and text wrapping.  This will work fine.

One more question.   The field is formated as text ending in ( ), parenthesis-space-parenthesis.  If there is a number in place of the space it means the part has been made.  The retrieve spec in Q&A was ..( )..  this only retrieved data where there was no number between the parenthises.   In Sesame this search retrieves data regardless of what is between the parenthesis.  i.e.  it retrieves AAA( ) and BBB(3).  I imagine I can work my way around this by putting the number in seperate element and retrieving on that.  Just wondering why.

Thanks to all you folks who worked on this.  A year ago I was ready to give up on Q&A.  Then I found your website which led to Sesame's.  Good job!

Alan

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 1:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
One more question.   The field is formated as text ending in ( ), parenthesis-space-parenthesis.  If there is a number in place of the space it means the part has been made.  The retrieve spec in Q&A was ..( )..  this only retrieved data where there was no number between the parenthises.   In Sesame this search retrieves data regardless of what is between the parenthesis.  i.e.  it retrieves AAA( ) and BBB(3).  I imagine I can work my way around this by putting the number in seperate element and retrieving on that.  Just wondering why.

The parentheses are meaningful to Sesame. To search for them, you need to tell Sesame that you mean them to be treated as a literal character by preceding them with a backslash (\).
..\( \)..

- Hammer
IP Logged

Kathie

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Hammer,
This topic is the closest to my own question.  How do you adjust the column widths?  I've set up a report but all the columns are on the left side of the page instead of being distributed across the page.  In Q&A my report looks something like this:

Model         Sale Date              Sale Price         Location    

Augusta      7/24/03                $675,000.00    7 Hadley Ct
                  5/30/03                $752,000.00    23 Hadley
                  5/14/03                $750,000.00    27 Dickson
                  5/1/03                  $695,000.00    57 Dickson

Year Average       $715,000.00

Birkdale      10/22/03              $745,000.00     13 Wither
                 10/02/03              $735,000.00      10 Benedic

The column headers are underlined, the whole report is centered on the page and there is a line under the sale price column and a Year Average for each model and year of sale.  In Sesame the year average doesn't line up under the sale price column and the whole report is squeezed to the left of the page.  Will my report format import as it is in Q&A?  
Kathie

Well I see the above format didn't post correctly.  It looks more like what Sesame does.  ???

IP Logged

Alan

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 2:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Kathy,

Sesame sends reports to your web browser where the data is displayed as web page.  It is displayed in a HTML table but the default appears to be left align.  This isn't so good if you want a right align for a date or decimal align for money.

I'm using IE 6.0 as the browser.  When the report opens in the browser I click "File", "Edit with Microsoft Word".  This opens the report as a web page in Word.  Then I save it as a Word document where I can use the Word alignment and tabs to align the data as well as change column size, fonts etc.   

Alternate method is to save the report as a web page from the browser.  The open the web page with Excel.  Data should appear in columns and rows.  Save it from Excel as a workbook and you will have all the Excel formating tools available. 

So your report should import from Q&A with everything except the familiar column spacing and data alignment.

The exception to this is if your retrieve spec in Q&A contains characters that are restricted in Sesame.   Then you may not retrieve the data you expect.

Alan

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jan 20th, 2004 at 1:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Kathie,

For a Table type report, you may need to use spacers to line up your subtotals under the correct columns. If you have three elements (columns) in your group body, and you want to subtotal the third column, you would want your Group Footer to have two Spacer elements and a Summary Calculation element.

BTW, you can right-align columns by
1. Select the element(s) by clicking or Shift-clicking.
2. On the Property Editor, select the Look tab.
3. Choose 07, 08 or 09 from Label Alignment.

- Hammer
IP Logged