Normal Topic for us using the "shotgun" approach (Read 1937 times)
layers

No personal text

for us using the "shotgun" approach
Jan 17th, 2004 at 5:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there an easy way to change the order of the elements so that when your in data entry it follows a different sequence than the order you added the elements? Thought maybe "program execution order " was the answer but that didn't work. The only other way was to pull all off onto  the "ghosted" area and add them back to the form in the order I need. At this point I'm not sure that works 100% either.  Anyways that gets harder as element count increases and your using a white font (which doesn't show up well in the ghost area)

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: for us using the "shotgun" approach
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 5:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about the order in a list somewhere? Navigation order? Programming execution order?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 9:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry, yes basic navigation order. enter data,hit enter than go to another field.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 9:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Use goto statement on element exit event.

suppose you are on "Name" element and want to goto "City" Layout elment -

In "Name" element in program layout put the following statement after selecting On Element Exit event

goto City

IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 9:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
The other oddity for me is w/ basic form navigation on an application (or database) w/a tabbed page (1 page,3 tabs)
When navigating the 3tab page using the tab key on the
keyboard, I can tab through all the fields on all 3 tabs BUT I never leave the first tab page! Only shows me the outline of the field on tab2 but superimposed over the fields on tab1. This is all at the add data link in Sesame itself. This doesn't happen using the arrow keys (BTW: Just started using the arrow keys, was counter intuitive to me personally). Maybe I'll stick w/ the mouse. I know these may be picky points but at work I have some picky characters to work with   Smiley

IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2004 at 10:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Adding programming events is a lot more time consuming than just shuffeling a list in ,say, designer. My big worry is after I design a base file, someone says (and believe me this will happen quite frequently)  "maybe we should have this data here and here. So I add 2 fields which are now "at the bottom of the list" and add programming in order to correct the navigation order to ,lets say , go to the new box ,lets call it 4, after leaving field 3, then telling it to go to 5 after leaving field 4,  ???. Or lets say it's the first box on the form (the one that is the default start box for navigation, and someone decides that that has to be moved to be the last box on the form. So how do I program the database so it now opens
w/ the curser on box2 instead of box1 which is now on the bottom of the page.So programming is the only way to change the default design order?

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #6 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 1:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
...So programming is the only way to change the default design order?

Yes. To be precise, it is the only way - currently - to change the Natural tab order.  You only need to use GoTo programming if you want the cursor to move between layout elements in anything other than natural top-left-to-bottom-right order.

We fully intend adding a means to control Tab Order in a future release. It's high on our internal "wish-list".

Alec
IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 2:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
As of right now I am not impressed w/ natural tab order. It does seem to exhibit some odd behavior on more complex forms (like tabbing to the middle of a vertical placement of 3 fields. Then going right, then left to the first box of that line
BTW: personally I am not having much luck using "goto" programming yet but most likely my fault. One hint that would be helpful is what is the programming code for "not empty"
One form opens on an element named control w/ uses a globalstatic variable to add a sequence number. From there
it must go to a box that is not in the "natural tab order"
but my attempts at a If control = (? MEANS I NOT SURE WHAT TO PUT HERE) then goto stone type programming statement has been unsuccessful. Never said I knew what I was doing!!
  Grin

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 5:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Natural tab order goes to layout elements in top left to bottom right order - of the top left coordinates of each LE.
Where you say: "..like tabbing to the middle of a vertical placement of 3 fields. Then going right, then left to the first box of that line "..

This is usually caused by the fields in one row not actually being aligned correctly, despite looking as if they are.  Lining them up by eye can result in tiny 1-pixel misalignments which you can't see, but which result in a layout element being higher than the one to its left. To correct this, select all the fields that are in one "row", go to Property Editor / Position tab / Align Vertically, and select "Top".

To check if a LE is empty, use ="", not empty, use <>"" . Hence ...

IF CONTROL <>"" THEN GoTo ....

Alec
IP Logged

layers

No personal text

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2004 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, will try the <>"" later tomorrow. Sorry if it was in the manual. I'm trying to learn both QA and Sesame as well as
a few others all at once. It can be time consuming and frustrating. Thought of alignment issues , will check those out as well.  Fast observation was leading me to believe it had something to do w/ mixing text fields and combo fields on a line which may have nothing to do with anything.

IP Logged