Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cannot work from keyboard alone (Read 3371 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Cannot work from keyboard alone
Jan 4th, 2004 at 4:15am
Print Post Print Post  
I have found that it is necessary to always have the mouse working in Sesame.  Some basic functions can only be done using a mouse, they cannot be done from the keyboard.

I have tried using three different third party macro recorders to automate procedures in Sesame but have run into some tough walls.

Example 1:
Start Sesame
File, Open Application.
Window that is open is "Select an application to open"
Nothing can be done from the keyboard right here.

You cannot tab to the top field for Database root directories, cannot tab to the filename field. cannot tab to the Accept/Cancel buttons, cannot select from the list of applications that might be showing.  You can only press ESC or ALT-F4 to close the window.  It is impossible to select an application from the keyboard.

A workaround does help, only when ther are no applications listed:  By pressing ALT-A to accept, the focus will go to the Accept button.  Now you can press Tab twice to move to the tree listing application folders.  Now you can use up/down arrows to select an application and press Enter.

Example 2:  After the application is open, once on a record, there are many functions that cannot be done from the keyboard.  There are no keyboard strokes to Exit Add/Search mode, Print, Mass Update, Export, etc.  Mouse is needed again.  Sometimes up/down arrow will work, sometimes a double is necessary to reestablish focus.

I have had some success using a macro tool that does Mouse Movements to specifi screen positions. but this will be impractical since items will be affected by screen resolutions.  Using Mouse Movements with relative positioning is also working in some instances, but this will not work either. since items/objects will not always be in the same location, from alphabetization etc.

It is really necessary to provide the ablity to tab or use  Alternative &Kkeys to get to all objects that could be mouse clicked.  Even a standard key command to tab through the window frames would help.

I am raising the issue primarily of the necessity to use third party macro tools (my opinion at this point), but I also don't think that operators should have to move back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse.

Even if Lantica feels the Sesame macro tools and programming statements will do it all, please fo not prevent me from using my own tools to simulate data entry keyboard/mouse entries.  This is the only Windows application that I have been unable to use my macro tools on.  I am struggling, not given up yet, but it should not be this tough to work from the keyboard alone.

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2004 at 6:55am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Cannot work from keyboard alone
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 3:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
You cannot tab to the top field for Database root directories, cannot tab to the filename field. cannot tab to the Accept/Cancel buttons, cannot select from the list of applications that might be showing.  You can only press ESC or ALT-F4 to close the window.  It is impossible to select an application from the keyboard.

Purely an oversight - did you file a bug report? It is advisible, if you are automating using a macro recorder, or Sesame's internal macro facility, or using SBasic - to launch specifying the application file (.db) on the command line. That will remove any uncertainty. Meanwhile we'll get this fixed so you can use the keyboard here.

Quote:
Example 2:  After the application is open, once on a record, there are many functions that cannot be done from the keyboard.  There are no keyboard strokes to Exit Add/Search mode, Print, Mass Update, Export, etc.  Mouse is needed again.  Sometimes up/down arrow will work, sometimes a double is necessary to reestablish focus.

Not seeing this. Can you be more specific? To exit Add/Search: Escape to close to the application tree, F7 to go to search, Shift-F10 to save and close, CTRL-F6 to go to Add Mode. CTRL-UpArrow to go to the record counter (and once there, DownArrow or Tab will take you to the tree - where any command is available from the keyboard).

Print, Mass Update, Export, etc...? Are you looking for means to kick these off or to cancel them - in either case there are keystrokes for both. Though some commands are not cancelable once started. If you are talking about the spec window (bottom left corner) the advance/retreat spec buttons can reached  via the keyboard using typical Arrow and Tab keys - spacebar presses the button. Each of the specs can be launched from the command tree or via shortcut keys. The Run command is on Alt-R.

I suspect that the keystroke you are missing is the CTRL-UpArrow from the form. This is the only keystroke that will leave a form that has focus. This was done intentionally to prevent a keyboard only user from accidentally leaving the form when navigating between fields using Tab or Arrow keys.

Quote:
I have had some success using a macro tool that does Mouse Movements to specifi screen positions. but this will be impractical since items will be affected by screen resolutions.  Using Mouse Movements with relative positioning is also working in some instances, but this will not work either. since items/objects will not always be in the same location, from alphabetization etc.

No matter what your screen resolution the buttons, menus, and other items are in the same exact position relative to the top corner of Sesame and Sesame appears on launch at the top corner of your screen - so it should make no difference at all, unless your third party macro recorder is set-up to use relative arbitrary unit (as opposed to absolute pixel based) positioning.

Quote:
It is really necessary to provide the ablity to tab or use  Alternative &Kkeys to get to all objects that could be mouse clicked.  Even a standard key command to tab through the window frames would help.

If you could be more specific, that would help. We support not only the command structure and the majority of Q&A keystrokes, but a number of the "standard" microsoft keystrokes as well. We cannot (and should not) cycle between frames because that leaves the element within the frame that can actually receives focus ambiguous. So we force focus to the first element within the frame, where keyboarding is actually relevent. In other words, if we focus the frame (to cycle) between them, it would take a second keystroke to place the user *in* the frame on an element that accepts keyboard entry. Each frame would then have to have a "rule" set up to indicate how it determines where focus lands - rather than using the universal rule we have now.

If you are talking about moving between the "Tabs", the tree (which can always be reached via the keyboard) provides means, as well as shortcut keys, also Alt-(n) where n is the tab number (i.e.: Alt-2) will also move between tabs.

Quote:
I am raising the issue primarily of the necessity to use third party macro tools (my opinion at this point), but I also don't think that operators should have to move back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse.

We agree. If you can be specific, we are fixing bugs as we receive them. With the exception of the initial file dialog, I am still unaware of any element in the Sesame runtime that cannot be reached via the keyboard. SDesigner does require the use of the mouse, but given that it is not intended for data entry, we did not see the need.

Quote:
Even if Lantica feels the Sesame macro tools and programming statements will do it all, please fo not prevent me from using my own tools to simulate data entry keyboard/mouse entries.  This is the only Windows application that I have been unable to use my macro tools on.  I am struggling, not given up yet, but it should not be this tough to work from the keyboard alone.

Lantica (nor I) feel that either will "do it all" and we certainly encourage the use of third party tools. Once again, if you could be more specific, I will be happy to check into any particular problems you are having with any specific macro recorder. We have done nothing to prevent third party macro recorders from working. We use a standard Windows event loop and standard Windows events.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

LindyR

Thanks Lanticans!!

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 4:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are there keyboard strokes for changing (rotating) focus between the menu, the spec area, and the form area -- and remain on the same screen ?

Lindy Robertson&&Beaverton Oregon
AIM AIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 5:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
From either the tree or the spec window, Tab will take you back to the Form.

From the Form, Ctrl-UpArrow moves you to the record counter. From there, DownArrow will take you into the tree. Once DownArrow to the bottom of the tree, you land in the Spec Window.

From a line in the Spec Window, UpArrow takes you to the Spec Window title bar, which can be pressed with the Spacebar. From there LeftArrow and RightArrow move you to the spec cycle buttons which can also be pressed with the spacebar.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

hagsrus

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 8:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have found that it is necessary to always have the mouse working in Sesame.  Some basic functions can only be done using a mouse, they cannot be done from the keyboard.

I have tried using three different third party macro recorders to automate procedures in Sesame but have run into some tough walls.

Could I ask what are the third party macro recorders you are using?

And which of the three do you prefer?

Thanks

Frances

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 9:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Could I ask what are the third party macro recorders you are using? 

Actually, I can only recommend one: Macro Scheduler.  (The other two were tried out of desperation).  Click on this link: http://www.mjtnet.com/index.htm?ref=rmhansense@sensiblesolutions.org_2644641 to get to their web site.  I have been using Macro Scheduler for years and it is essentially unlimited in its capabilities. 

Too many features to detail here, but here are a few that I can list immediately.  Works with all Windows applications, DOS windows (Q&A), built in smtp email and ftp tools, built in VBscript, Read/Write/Edit INI files.  Common English commands, simple syntax, edit with any text editor or use built in editor.  Excellent examples and documentation.  Recorder, Editor, Scheduling tools, logging, single step diagnosis/troubleshooting, visible variable listing while diagnosis/troubleshooting, creation of Dialog boxes, ask/pause for user inputs, user defined defaults/timeouts for many commands, move between windows of multiple applications, cut/paste between applications.  Send keystrokes, all mouse movements, clicks, drag/drop.  Run DOS commands windows, run multiple macros at same time, nest macros, pass variables from one macro to another, open other applications, execute macros in other applications (Q&A, Excel, Word, Sesame), close application, and continue to next step.  Capture Window names, push buttons in windows, capture pixel colors, minimize/maximize/resize/position windows, and so on and so on......

Great response to user inputs on enhancements, Terrific user forum, very active, and actually read and used by the developers also.  Works on all WIN OS.  Don't think they have a linux version available.

I think the registered version single user is about $60, but free download is avalable.  They also have discounts for multiple licensing needs. 

Pro version has compiler for license-free application developments.  This means only one copy is needed for development, since compiled scripts do not need Macro Scheduler installed. 

I recommend this as highly as I recommended Q&A in the past.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 10:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark.

Quote:
It is advisible, if you are automating using a macro recorder, or Sesame's internal macro facility, or using SBasic - to launch specifying the application file (.db) on the command line
I agree.  One of my earlier posts was a request about where to find the command line switches.  Once I got that I changed my macro so I don't have to start throught the trees. 

Quote:
Not seeing this. Can you be more specific?
Quote:
Print, Mass Update, Export, etc...?
Are you looking for means to kick these off

Yes.  I will try to come up with some very specific needs as I continue to work these issues.  Some cases will probably arise based on tree expansions, depending on branches exposed, mouse movements may not be correct.  Could use a key command to close entire tree so that can be a start point to drill down as needed.

Quote:
  No matter what your screen resolution the buttons, menus, and other items are in the same exact position relative to the top corner of Sesame and Sesame appears on launch at the top corner of your screen - so it should make no difference at all, unless your third party macro recorder is set-up to use relative arbitrary unit (as opposed to absolute pixel based) positioning.

The macro tool I am using has relative Mouse Movements based on pixels.  This will be OK for objects like buttons, fields, etc.  but not for lists.  Example, if I have five forms listed, and want to add a record, I can create a macro that moves the mouse down the tree to form3 for example, and click to open it, that is good.  But if I add a new form that is alphabetically earlier, my macro mouse movement will now pick up form2 vs. form3, there is no way I can type in a command to add a record and select form3.  Similar to the need in Q&A macros to always type the name of a saved spec because its position could not be guaranteed.  I see a general need to provide optional field for typing in name of form/report, etc. to be opened, searched

Quote:
If you could be more specific, that would help. We support not only the command structure and the majority of Q&A keystrokes, but a number of the "standard" microsoft keystrokes as well. We cannot (and should not) cycle between frames because that leaves the element within the frame that can actually receives focus ambiguous. So we force focus to the first element within the frame, where keyboarding is actually relevent. In other words, if we focus the frame (to cycle) between them, it would take a second keystroke to place the user *in* the frame on an element that accepts keyboard entry. Each frame would then have to have a "rule" set up to indicate how it determines where focus lands - rather than using the universal rule we have now. 

I think I will be able to overcome the switching between frames by using Relative Mouse Movements.

The need for these tools was identified in the early stages of beta tests, and the assurance was made that this should not be an issue, full keyboard data entry should be available.  So this has not been a concern until now that the product is actually released.  Similar to Reports, we did not know how those issues would be finally handled until now.  And now we know, so we will have to find out how to work any issues that come up.

Thanks for response, and Yes, I will start to provide specifics as I start to work with these issues.  There will be a learning curve here, so fasten your seat belt and hang on with me.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Jan 4th, 2004 at 10:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
CTRL-UpArrow to go to the record counter (and once there, DownArrow or Tab will take you to the tree -
Aaaah! Grin Grin Grin  CTRL-UpArrow.  That is a big help.

Using CTL-UpArrow seems to act differently depending on field position, on sub-form, on page tab, etc.  Will have to learn the rules that control its behavior.  But major obstacle to change frames is history.

Just tested on the Search/Update menu.  Need macros to run unattended so conditions need to be controlled.  But now I can use Home/End to go to top/bottom of tree.  By going to Home position on the tree, I can now hit "+", count down "n" times to next branch, hit "+" to expand, if already open it's not a problem, continue until all branches have been expanded, go Home again, and then I can count up/down as needed.  I should be able to make sub-routine macros that I can call depending on which tree window I have open.

Looking good on this menu tree, no lists to deal with.  Stay tuned as other trees are learned.......

Thanks again Mark. Grin

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 1:16am
Print Post Print Post  
This is not useful to Bob, but as a note to those of you who want to use Sesame macros, Sesame macros do not have the issue Bob describes above where they fail if an element moves or an extra form name is added. If the mouse is used to record the macro action, the macro knows which specific item was clicked on and will attempt to find that item when the macro is run. You don't need to worry about the list order as you did with Q&A macros.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 1:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
In general, automation leans towards SBasic instead of macros. Macros cannot detect or react to error conditions, unexpected configurations, or upgrades and redesign.

There are a few areas where SBasic will not suffice. Here the combination of macros and SBasic is often the best answer - where a macro starts up using the -macro flag from the command line, opening a form. SBasic then kicks in using SelectTreeItem and other user interface commands - as well as macro "snippets" called with @macro(filename).

By using SBasic to tie together macros, the programmer can react to the interface using "if" statements, loops, etc...

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 1:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Just tested on the Search/Update menu.  Need macros to run unattended so conditions need to be controlled.  But now I can use Home/End to go to top/bottom of tree.  By going to Home position on the tree, I can now hit "+", count down "n" times to next branch, hit "+" to expand, if already open it's not a problem, continue until all branches have been expanded, go Home again, and then I can count up/down as needed.  I should be able to make sub-routine macros that I can call depending on which tree window I have open. 

The "trees" also respond to alphabetic keys. For example - if you have the "Search Menu" open and you have focus in the tree, you can hit "E" and focus will move to "Exit Search Menu" (currently the third item). If you are on "Exit Search Menu" and hit "S" and then "E" in rapid succession, it will move focus to "Search Commands" - jumping over "Switch to Add mode..." along the way.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 11:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Macros cannot detect or react to error conditions, unexpected configurations, or upgrades and redesign
I think that depends on the macro tools being used and the skill of the macro programmer.
Macro Scheduler can do all of the conditionals and loops , use date mathmatics, calculate variables, create dynamic filenames, directories,  and transfer values, cut/paste between different applications, Not limited to working in one application that might trigger it.  One simple language to use across all applications.

Quote:
The "trees" also respond to alphabetic keys. For example - if you have the "Search Menu" open and you have focus in the tree, you can hit "E" and focus will move to "Exit Search Menu" (currently the third item). If you are on "Exit Search Menu" and hit "S" and then "E" in rapid succession, it will move focus to "Search Commands" - jumping over "Switch to Add mode..." along the way.
You are correct Mark, on some of the menu trees.  I have confirmed that the Add Data and the Search Data menu trees will be navigable because they do not contain user defined lists.  But take a closer look at the issues on the Application Menu. How do I select  the seventh form with alphabetical keys?  Now I can use arrows and count down, but what if add/delete another form above this one?  And what if there are many that are named with the same first letter?
I haven't checked this out on the Spec Manager yet, but I suspect I will be seeing the same issue.  But keep the suggestions coming.  I am sure sensible solutions are available.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2004 at 11:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I think that depends on the macro tools being used and the skill of the macro programmer.
Macro Scheduler can do all of the conditionals and loops , use date mathmatics, calculate variables, create dynamic filenames, directories,  and transfer values, cut/paste between different applications, Not limited to working in one application that might trigger it.  One simple language to use across all applications.

I was referring to macros in Sesame - not macro recorders in general.

Quote:
You are correct Mark, on some of the menu trees.  I have confirmed that the Add Data and the Search Data menu trees will be navigable because they do not contain user defined lists.  But take a closer look at the issues on the Application Menu. How do I select  the seventh form with alphabetical keys?  Now I can use arrows and count down, but what if add/delete another form above this one?  And what if there are many that are named with the same first letter?

It doesn't matter if they are user defined or not. Also, as I stated, you can type more than just the first letter. As my second example pointed out: if you type in rapid succession it matches past the first letter in the tree item.

Cow said:
Quote:
If you are on "Exit Search Menu" and hit "S" and then "E" in rapid succession, it will move focus to "Search Commands" - jumping over "Switch to Add mode..." along the way.

IP Logged