Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Computer History (Read 18093 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Computer History
Feb 9th, 2004 at 10:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was just browser some computer history timeline websites, and it got me thinking about how we all got here. I was just wondering: what is your computer history? What machines have you used, owned? What were you running when you first got Q&A? Which version?

Mine:
1. An old teletype they told us was hooked to a PDP (never actually saw the PDP, though). Programs saved on paper tape.
2. A VIC-20
3. Epson QX-10 (running CP/M+, and dBase!) - still have it!
4. Timex Sinclair (typing with a pencil).
5. An AT&T 3B1 running Unix on a 67MB hard-drive (my first harddrive!) - still have it!
6. An Amiga 1000 prototype
7. An Amstrad portable PC (no harddrive) 5" B&W LCD screen - still have it!
8. An Amiga 3000 - still have it!
9. Sun 4/110 - one of the first RISC machine, blazing at 14 Mhz.
10. Sun Sparcstation 2, 40 Mhz
11. Cumulus PC 386 (I think it was 25 Mhz)
12. MicroVax II - anyone recall VMS?
13. MicroVax 3000
14. A really weird Tektronix - don't recall the model.
15. Stellar GS1000
16. SGI Indigo (Mortgaged the house!) - still have it, but its only worth about $50 now.
17. Various Pentiums upgraded every 3 years or so (133 Mhz - 800 Mhz)
18. SGI Crimson - Still have it. Its an end table.
19. SGI Onyx - Still have it, just retired.
20. SGI Octane - typing on it now.

Well, I guess that dates me pretty well. Anyone else own/use some odd kit?
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2004 at 3:55pm by The Cow »  

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Computer History
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 2:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Anyone else own/use some odd kit?

How about these boat anchors I worked on:

Kaypro
Molecudyne
Olivetti
Burroughs B20
Sequent

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
How about these boat anchors I worked on:

Kaypro
Molecudyne
Olivetti
Burroughs B20
Sequent

What was the "Molecudyne"?

I remember the Sequents - they had a nice SMP super computer.

Actually, I forget one on my list, I bought a Stellar GS1000, years after they stopped making them. 700 lbs of serious noise, heat, and electrical consumption. Gave it away to a local computer club.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 3:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
What was the "Molecudyne"?

The molecudyne was a huge box the size of a desk had a 16 inch floppy and a wopping 20 meg hardrive. It used a com Iop board to connect early style wyse terminals. Its operating system was basically some form of or the predecessor or an emulated version of AT&Ts 3B15 file system. The last version of the operating system used a product called panels that ran Ryan Mcfarlan cobol and in retrospect was very much window like.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 7:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
In 1980, I got Dynabyte running on CPM with 10" floppy and 40 Meg. hard drive and 64K operating memory. Paid almost $15000 with software...oouch....it still hurts!!!

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 12:51am
Print Post Print Post  
First contact with a computer was typing punch cards for my college roommate (early 1970's) in the wee hours of the morning.  Don't know what the computer was - think the language was either Fortran or Cobal.

First computer at work was an Apple IIe, with a "Sider" I think it was called - 20meg storage.  Did word processing and database work on it. 

One of my lab's earliest instruments had a Hewlett Packard computer, running Pascal, I think.

First computer at home - a "toy" - Commodore 64.
Graduated to an Epson Equity II+ - an 8086 chip, methinks.  No hard drive, dual 5.25 inch FD.  Have a receipt for a box of 10 formatted disks that I paid $31.50 for!  Ouch!

Ran Q&A 2.0 on that Equity II.  When I got the Epson, computer store owner said to "learn DOS" and I'll give you some demo software.  A short while later I proved that I new a good bit about DOS, and I got a demo version of Q&A 2.0...

Added a "smart card" (10meg HD on a card) to it.

From there, just a succession of bigger, better, faster... Nothing exciting like you guys.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 2:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Any Q&A 1.0 and / or PFSFile users out there? Did any of you have to buy the required memory expansion card?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 2:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
I started with PFSFile, did not know about Q&A then. As I had some questions, I called for support and I was told that the product was not supported any longer. Nobody pointed out about Q&A but when I stumbled upon Q&A 2.0, I realized that they were very similar. PFSFile also has PFSwrite as a word processor. With Q&A one could network but not with PFSfile. Did Symantec buy PFSFile to come up with Q&A? Just wondering....

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 3:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Did Symantec buy PFSFile to come up with Q&A? Just wondering....

From what I can find out - no. They seemed to have simply seen that the command structure was general well done and used it as a starting point. Others, including other Lanticans, may well disagree with me on this.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 3:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Or Could it be a key person in the development team moved to Symantec, so did the philosophy and thinking?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 4:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am not yet ready to put Q&A in the annals of Computer, as it is serving me todate and probably will be useful for something in the future, but I am curious if anybody is using Intelligent Assistant (Artificial Intelligence) in Q&A.  For me, it is non-existent and eating up whatever little resources (being DOS program, it could not utilize extended memmory) available to it. However, it might have served as marketing gimmick initially.  Is there somebody out there who has been using IA? If yes, what does it do for you?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2004 at 4:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ironically, before we launched - Erika and I went to the Library and looked up some old Q&A reviews. They centered around two issues: Intelligent Assistant and the memory expansion. The reviewers raved about Intelligent Assistant and strongly disliked the need to expand memory. Symantec sold the actual hardware for the memory expander.

IP Logged

LindyR

Thanks Lanticans!!

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2004 at 11:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
My oh my !!  What fun it is to recall...

My very first computer in 1978 was an Exidy Sorcerer -- it had an 8-track style ROM Pack cartridge.  No drives at all.  No other interfaces, except everything was saved to a tape recorder.

In 1980 or so, I had a Heath/Zenith Z-89 (the H-89 models were built at home and the Z-89 models were factory-built). No hard drive.  One 5" 80-hard-sector floppy drive. I added a separate box that housed two more floppy drives -- then I was really hot!!  I printed to an old DECWriter.  Did all of my college papers on this system through 1985. Oh! And I started connecting to Compuserve -- discovered CBSimulator (chat).  And also did my research using Knowledge Index, sponsored by Dialog Services.  Later, used PeopleLink for chat because Compuserve was expensive at prox $6 per hour off-hours!

Then in 1986 I got my IBM AT and came into the modern world...   Smiley

At work in 1986, I set up a library system for a large engineering firm in Costa Mesa, California, using PFS File and PFS Report.  I LOVED those programs!  And later, PFS First Choice was an ap that integrated PFS File, Report, and a word processor.  I discovered Q&A 3 in prox 1989 and recognized it as an old favorite from PFS days.  The rest is history...

Lindy Robertson&&Beaverton Oregon
AIM AIM  
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2004 at 11:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The reviewers raved about Intelligent Assistant ...

Here in UK the marketing was always centred on this one feature - the intelligent assistant - rather than marketing it as an easy-to-use database.  I have found that almost all users quickly outgrow it, but some - a very small minority - love the Query Guide (not IA) and use it just about daily.  QG is really a report generator.  I believe you can save the resulting report, and I've seen many cases of gross 'report proliferation' because of this.  Once you've got 100+ reports you'll never find the one you want and every report is then a new one using the Query Guide !

Alec
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2004 at 11:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
My very first exposure to computers was a brief spell working as a "computer operator" for an American Geophysical company in South London, doing things like changing tapes (magnetic? paper? on large TI mainframes).
But then in 1971 I started working in Land Survey and was working with a desktop-programmable HP which stored programs of about 1k (?) on magnetic cards.  We also used a computer bureau to run aerial survey adjustsment programs. We used to do a night shift (as it was cheaper and better mainframe access) and drive to a place in Petty France (just behind Westminster Abbey), park outside the door (!) and do repeated runs, throwing out one ground marker point at a time, or changing one typo, punching a new 80-column card (which I think are called "Hollerith cards") on a hand card punch.  Output was on blue paper tape and was then taken back to the office and input into the Photogrammetric plotting machines which were used to draw the maps.  It didn't do to drop a box of punch cards!

Alec
IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 9:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
At home:
I started out on an Atari 400 with a touchpad keyboard and 4k of ram. We had to buy separate "Basic" language cartridges and cassette tape for storage. The first upgrade I made was to install a touch keybourd. My first floppy drive for the Atari was a 5.5" add on.

We used to type in code from "Antic" magazine, an Atari monthly published at the time.

At work:
I worked with IBM Displaywriters that were dedicated wordprocessors with 8.5" floppy drives.

The first true desktops at work were IBM PC XT with no hard drives but two 5.5" floppy drives. Our first hard drive was 10 megabytes. I remember  comments from co-workers that we had died and gone to heaven and that possibly no one could ever fill up that mother of all drives! These machines cost $2000.00 plus at the time. We then graduated to AT's and then to 286's. Those honeys cost over $3000.00 each.

Currently, we buy 2.6 Ghz machines at approximately $700.00 each. How times have changed!
Wink

IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2004 at 9:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
The first database that we used was PFS file. I too enjoyed learning and actually being very productive with PFS. I believe that I still have the original disks around somewhere. We set up a program for our Central Dietary Department, which tracked Dietary needs for 700 residents on a 24/7 basis. We tracked allergies, likes, dislikes in food and even kept track of inventory in the warehouse.

We were looking for a tool to merge the databases with a wordprocessor when PFS went out of business. I had tracked down some information that some of the programmers moved to Symantec and that there was a new product coming out called "Q&A" that might do what we needed. The rest is history.. as they say.  Wink

IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2004 at 3:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
What another great example of how this site is one of my favorite!

While working as a police supervisor in the Chief's office I had access to an Apple IIe and used a database from Stonewear that had some interesting features. I reviewed the four commercially available ready-built computers that had just entered this new market: the Apple II (monochrome video display), the Radio Shack Color Computer, the TI 400A, and the Commodore VIC-20. The Apple was the marketed business machine, but had an ugly display, an even uglier version of BASIC, and few bells and whistles. The Radio Shack, as would its successors, had little to offer. The TI was probably the most powerful, it even a had text-to-voice module, but it seemed unlikely to survive as a home computer as it was expensive to expand the system. The clear winner to me was the VIC-20. Starting with a WHOPPING 3.5K of memory, it ran loan programs, games, and had a very easy yet powerful BASIC language. With color, sound and graphics it was a choice that gave me what I wanted (I still have it)--a machine to start my computing experience!

The VIC grew to include a cassette tape drive, then a floppy drive, many expansion cards (like a wordprocessor [Fox], a really cool BASIC editor and memory)--all teatering on a poorly designed external expansion board. I added to 7.5" wide, low-res dot-matrix printer and a few other options (like a joystick) and finally had the memory boosted to maximum--20K.

I skipped the Commodore 64 and 128, marketed some Amigas while marketing manager for a 11-store ComputerLand franchise, and there got my intentonal exposure to the new DOS-based products from IBM. I got to use and watch IBM products grow as the leader, then enter into the final phase of IBM dominance, the AT. Shortly thereafter, I purchased a Compaq Deskpro 386. This machine was the market leader for a while until Compaq also began to lose focus, failed to prepare for some component vendor problems, and lost their rapid leadership hold.

Meanwhile, at IBM, the boys in blue were working hard to prove that the odd-ball, non-compatible 1.2MB floppy would not be the last of the errors they could produce in the DOS world they had created with Uncle Billy. There was the Intel Expanded/Entended specifications, confusing enough to many that even Intel reps could not explain at times. The PC Junior, essentially a DOA system, and IBM's portable computer philosophy that seemed to be bigger, slower, uglier, and, as would their PC and PC-2 lines, less and less "IBM compatible" than the other "IBM compatibles".

As a consultant, with our clients it was a suped-up Everex-based system called Proteus, replaced then by Dell and later by Gateway.

Gateway was my source for all systems since and that includes my current Pentium 4 system.

Along the way, so, so many wonderful DOS programs were discovered that allowed us all to do so many amazaing things. Superkey, Sidekick, PC-Anywhere, Remote, dBASE, Lotus 1-2-3, PC-Tools, Norton, and many others plus a host of hardware system options such as multi-user PCs, multi-monitor PCs, and the then emerging networking--such as 10-Net.

I became an early fan of the PFS series, using all (excepte the home-targeted First Choice) including the integratable Plan, File, Write, Access and Report. dBASE III became the obvious power system and replaced my use of spreadsheets for almost all applications. Despite the reported "power" of many of the wordprocessors, it was PFS: Write and later Professional Write that dominated my choice and recommendation for speed, ease of use and productivity for many clients. Later, when WordPerfect discovered Windows, they finally made a great product. I still sometimes use Write today when I need to do something quickly that I still cannot do in Windows products.

A Software City rep kept extolling the virtues of Q&A 1.0 versus the PFS series (and definitely over the weaker IBM Assistant version of these products). When I got a look, I was an instant believer. Although the companion communication and spreadsheet programs were missing, and a bit of the easier interface, the trade-off was a much, much more powerful and flexible product.

From there, the Q&A versions (DOS only!) and FoxPro became our development tools of choice (skipping Alpha and anything Microsoft). As Windows finally became a somewhat working product in version 3.1, and all the then leaders tried (and failed) to make Windows versions of their products, a clear line emerged. Those that would stop with their initial attempts and buy other companies instead--abandoning the products that built them, and those (like WordPerfect) that would finally find an environment that would allow them to find that magical balance of power and ease of use.

Although I reluctantly use MS-Word (between lockups) and other products, the loss of Q&A, Xtree and other programs that served so well is finally coming full circle. Ztree has arrived and works with gigabyte disks yet still offers the familiar interface, speed and flexibility. And in a world dominated by Access (EEEEE-YUUUUKKKKK!!!!), FileMaker (no, we do it OUR way--so must you!), Alpha 5(a great try--but a bit too many problems and bad interoperability), there finally emerges the long-awaited Sesame!

My biggest regret is that I have yet to be able to spend the time to at length pour threw the product, instead finding moments here and there to work with it, try to migrate to the new philosophies, marvel at some of the ingenuity while I lament the missing elements (macro editor, word processor, etc.), and read with GREAT interest and fascination the threads on this site. Shortly I hope to make Sesame the workhorse that Q&A was for me, my clients and with other programs.

With the great input from users, the supportive attitude of the Lanticans, and the survivability designed into the product, I once again look for experiences with computing from which I marvel and feel the "AAAAAAHHH!" each time I use the product.

A QUESTION: during the early years especially, many very creative concepts evolved that failed in the marketplace and were often later to emerge from a different source. Anyone remember the 3-D point-mouse, early voice command and X-10 modules, and other devices?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2004 at 6:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
A QUESTION:  Anyone remember  X-10 modules, and other devices?

johnbits,

Not only do I remember X-10 modules but I remember them when the carrier current concept was started with BSR. I still have original BSR modules working today with X-10, powerhouse, modern leviton, knock off smarthome and smartlink modules to control my entire home.

Do you remember Butler in a box command module for use with X-10?

I was thrilled to here you mention Ztree. The early versions of Xtree were some of my favorite utilities and I had no idea about Ztree. I will be checking out Ztree shortly.  Smiley

Thanks for the info.

IP Logged

LindyR

Thanks Lanticans!!

Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2004 at 9:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
>>I was thrilled to here you mention Ztree. The early versions of Xtree were some of my favorite utilities and I had no idea about Ztree. I will be checking out Ztree shortly.  <<

I loved Xtree and will be checking out Ztree.  I like TreeView, but it's not the same kind of ap. 

I used WordStar 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0 (in CP/M and DOS) -- loved those old dot commands!  Did NOT use WS 2000.  I came kicking and screaming into WordPerfect 4.0 for DOS and finally settled in very comfortably with WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS -- I still use it to do things I just can NOT do in Windows Word and WordPerfect as efficiently.

I finally let my Exidy Sorcerer go to a computer museum last year.   Cry

Lindy Robertson&&Beaverton Oregon
AIM AIM  
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 1:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
I do remember some of those other items you all mentioned..more come to mind all the time. Since some of us are asking Lantica to include a basic word processor with Sesame as did Q&A, and since we have voiced our displeasure with many of the current ilk of products, maybe someone could tell me if they have found something else besides Professional Write (DOS) that will work with the Windows printer drivers (Professional Write does not obviously) that can do some of those marvelous, simple actions such as temporary indents, intelligent column math (without imbedded spreadsheet pieces), and rectangular block move (versus paragraph or line move)?

Also, though they are not PC's, handhelds have become an integral part of many of our lives. I started with various watch and data units (up to the Casio Boss). Last year I got my Palm, which has become indespensible. I use it with a handheld relational database, powerful outliner, powerful datebook and other apps, and hope to integrate (ODBC maybe?) with Sesame (unless they eventually come out with a handheld version some day). My wife & consulting partner had a Pocket PC after many earlier versions of handhelds, but now has a Palm Tungsten T3. Any thoughts or experience along this historical line?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #21 - Feb 26th, 2004 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
I would love  Smiley a palm version of Sesame.

Besides all the other conveniences handhelds offer think of how easy data collection could be for enterprise wide Sesame applications. loading docs, Drs from treatment room to treatment room, Techs in the field etc.

Besides with a palm version of Sesame I can claim I am working wherever I go. A laptop is to big to carry up a mountain like Mount Whitney but the palm equipped with GPS goes along everywhere.  Grin

IP Logged