Normal Topic Adventures With -Websverver (Read 12244 times)
BWETTLAUFER

Adventures With -Websverver
Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey guys,

I'm trying to master a web server ... I want to try something simple so I have some questions:

1) it says that I have to have a web client running somewhere for the web page to function.  If my server uses -keep as a lever, is that enough or do I need a client running somewhere?

2) I want to build a web page with a command button just return a report in a browser.  All the examples in the User Guide for 'scommand report' show emailing a report.  Can I use that command to just throw up a new tab with a formatted report?

Thanks,
Blair

IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Re: Adventures With -Websverver
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2020 at 8:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey folks ... anyone able to help on this?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2020 at 9:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
BWETTLAUFER wrote on Jan 19th, 2020 at 11:46pm:
Hey guys,

I'm trying to master a web server ... I want to try something simple so I have some questions:

1) it says that I have to have a web client running somewhere for the web page to function.  If my server uses -keep as a lever, is that enough or do I need a client running somewhere?

-Keep will work after a client has loaded the file yes

Quote:
2) I want to build a web page with a command button just return a report in a browser.  All the examples in the User Guide for 'scommand report' show emailing a report.  Can I use that command to just throw up a new tab with a formatted report?

Thanks,
Blair

That command can not be used for that. The SCommands are commands parsed from an email that is read in via the Sesame Server and then it replies with an answer.

For what you are wanting to do I would recommend a regular WebServer and the Sesame API to grab data and generate a report. It'll be neater, cleaner and I won't swear to it but I believe -Web_Server has been deprecated since the API came out.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 3:53am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Ray,

I read through the API documentation to see how I could try to execute a report, and it says in several places like SesameRunProgram, 'No commands that reference the user interface, forms, or reports are legal in the supplied program.'

Here's my issue.  I have a series of fairly complicated reports in my database, that I would like to output to users without them having access to a Sesame client.  I'd rather not have to learn enough PHP to build the report over again if I can avoid it.

Is there any way I can generate an existing Sesame report with the API?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 2:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
BWETTLAUFER wrote on Feb 6th, 2020 at 3:53am:
Is there any way I can generate an existing Sesame report with the API?

No. Sesame Reports need to be run from a Sesame Client. You would have to replicate the report in PHP.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged