Normal Topic Windows 10 Forced Automatic Updates & Restart (Read 10437 times)
actiontech

Windows 10 Forced Automatic Updates & Restart
Jul 7th, 2019 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello, Windows 10 installs updates automatically and then restarts your computer automatically if it needs to during "off hours". There is no way to turn it off except that you can temporarily pause automatic updates for a limited period of time then need to re-pause it after that time if you don't want your computer (Server) to restart automatically. This causes Sesame Server to crash because it cannot shutdown properly and then locks the database. I was wondering if there was a workaround for this issue. I know there's a way that you can use task scheduler to open Sesame Server on starting up Windows but is there a way that you could run a task to take Sesame through the Server Shutdown process before Windows restarts. Kind of like when it asks you if you want to save your work or not if you have a document left open before restart? Thanks for any help. Trying to limit downtime by causing the Server to shutdown and restart seamlessly with minimal user input.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Re: Windows 10 Forced Automatic Updates & Restart
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm running Sesame Server on a VM running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 -- having a similar issue.

EDIT:

Ideas:

#1. Allow the updates, then Task Scheduler on reboot to call batch file that has sunlock.exe unlock all databases, then restart the server.

#2. Maybe schedule update installs for late night, create another task that shuts down Sesame Server hours beforehand (after business hours) and then another task that restarts on reboot? Or in the morning?

First seems simpler, but not great because you're just allowing Sesame to be dropped.
Second option seems more complicated.

For now, just turning off updates -- they will download and I will just check once in a while.

IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, those are great ideas. I will look into that and see if I can get something working. I like the idea of automatically shutting down Sesame Server before "off hours" though. Then maybe automatically restarting Sesame Server either during "on hours" and/or at reboot.

IP Logged

aspirein

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 10:13am
Print Post Print Post  
This is the issue I have faced

IP Logged