Normal Topic Sesame on the Internet (Read 999 times)
actiontech

Sesame on the Internet
Apr 11th, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello, I've just gotten Sesame Server to work on No-IP DUC (dynamic update client) over the internet and was able to connect from a remote computer.

I was able to do this by going into the advanced router settings and forwarding ports. I created a custom service named "Sesame Server", selected protocol "TCP", then selected the external port range of "20000:20001", I also selected this to be the internal port range as well, I chose the Internal IP Address to be the IP Address of the computer running Sesame Server.

I then went to my No-IP DUC client, (which was already installed and setup with an account and a hostname), and copied the hostname, myserver.no-ip.biz (example).

I then created my shortcut for Sesame Server and set the target as "sesame.exe -server myserver.no-ip.biz:20000:20001".

And then I created my shortcut for Sesame Client on my remote computer (that has the same version of Sesame installed with the license) and set the target as "sesame.exe -client myserver.no-ip.biz:20000:20001".

And it worked splendidly. I was surprised about how easy it was to get it to work, and the speed seemed to be fine. Similar to what we already experience on just a local network.

My only question now is there anything I can do to improve security before I implement this? For example, can I run this through SSH or something like in the guides? Or should I just use Sesame's Application Security to set up users and passwords?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Sesame on the Internet
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
actiontech wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 4:15pm:
My only question now is there anything I can do to improve security before I implement this? For example, can I run this through SSH or something like in the guides? Or should I just use Sesame's Application Security to set up users and passwords?

You can run it through SSH if you set up SSH on the Client and Server computers, and also forward the SSH port to the Server computer in your router.

If you know the IP Address of the clients you wish to allow, you could make use of the Sesame Allow and Deny files(Page 500-501 of the Sesame 2 User Guide. But if this is to allow people to access the system from home, they are likely to have a Dynamic IP address from their ISP.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

actiontech

Re: Sesame on the Internet
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 5:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok thanks I'll try that.

IP Logged