Normal Topic Best Way to combine similar databases? (Read 1247 times)
jacker

Best Way to combine similar databases?
Nov 9th, 2017 at 4:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
My kingdom for a Sesame SQL parser...

I have two applications that are basically identical for a client that runs a job placement business. The applications are for maintaining a database of job applicants, the major difference being they are different regions. However, they would like to combine these two regions into one bigger region, so I need to combine the data into one larger application. The forms and table layout are basically identical. The data is heavily textual, with several multi-line text boxes.

I tried the Export to CSV and Import, but embedded commas screwed things up when I used the defaults. I'm assuming I need to use a custom spec but I couldn't get that work...

Is there an easier or better way?

Jack - I'm smokin' past the filter and it's burnin' my lips...
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Best Way to combine similar databases?
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 6:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you are using 2.6.4 and commas are messing up the import with the default export options, can you send me a sample so that I can get it written up and passed on to development?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 7:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
I haven't upgraded them yet from 2.6.3...they have 14 or 15 users in seven remote offices connecting to a cloud server. It takes a unified effort to update them all overnight.

When I export with tab separators and pipe delimiters, the data looks okay, but then it won't even import without erroring immediately.

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Any suggestions?

Is there a way to use a spec I saved when I exported from one database and use it to import into a different database?

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2017 at 2:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
CSV export and import would be the easiest way. Other then that you could write a push routine from the one database that uses XResultSetSearch() and XResultSetValue() to push over the records.

Quote:
Is there a way to use a spec I saved when I exported from one database and use it to import into a different database?

Not directly. You can modify the code that I posted at https://www.lantica.com/Forum5/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1505872755/1#1 You would need to use 2 Mass Updates. One to load the export spec and write the data out to a text file. Then another one in the other database that reads in the text file and uses the data in it to create an import spec.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged