Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Can't Use Network Directories? (Read 2008 times)
BWETTLAUFER

Can't Use Network Directories?
Apr 28th, 2016 at 7:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi folks,

We have a new Windows 10 terminal set up on our network, and for some reason this one computer can't see mapped network drives.  All my other terminals are good, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The local c:\sesame2\rootdirs.ini file has:

Code
Select All
c:\
Data
Data\Samples
[DRIVES]

Is there some weird Windows 10 setting I need to adjust?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Can't Use Network Directories?
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 8:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Blair,

Where are you not seeing the mapped network drives in Sesame?

P.S. I do not believe the rootdirs.ini file has any effect on the Client machine. Could be wrong about that but it's primary use is controlling directories available for New, Open, Save As, Import, Export, Etc which are all Server side commands.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2016 at 1:14am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray ... that's exactly where I'm having the issue ... Import and Export specifically.  However, other clients have no issues seeing the mapped drives.  Isn't that odd?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2016 at 7:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Blair,

The built in Import and Export routines? That is very odd as the Server passes that information over to the client so all clients of the Server get the same directory listing.

Are you 100% positive that the client version is the same as the server?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2016 at 3:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Yep ... same version.  But here's the thing ... the server is a Linux machine, and every client (including the one client terminal) can see the local server directory.

Each windows terminal has mapped k:\ (our windows file share computer), and s:\ (our sesame server).  Some of our commands (like our merge doc button) calls on one of these drives.  It would have to be defined on the client level, as we don't map any drives per se on the server itself.

I thought the rootdirs.ini file part that says [DRIVES] tells the local copy of sesame to allow access to the local drives of the client.  Unless there's a SESAME.INI setting that I'm missing?

For the life of me, I can't see what's different between this client terminal and any other machine, other than I installed Sesame on it after I upgraded it to Windows 10 (the rest of the machines were upgraded to Windows 10 after being used in Windows 7 as Sesame clients for a while)...

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2016 at 1:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
BWETTLAUFER wrote on May 3rd, 2016 at 3:54am:
Each windows terminal has mapped k:\ (our windows file share computer), and s:\ (our sesame server).  Some of our commands (like our merge doc button) calls on one of these drives.  It would have to be defined on the client level, as we don't map any drives per se on the server itself.

@Insert() and the Sbasic file write commands are client side commands, so if the issue is with those that makes a bit more sense.

Quote:
I thought the rootdirs.ini file part that says [DRIVES] tells the local copy of sesame to allow access to the local drives of the client.  Unless there's a SESAME.INI setting that I'm missing?

Mark can correct me if I am wrong but I'm fairly certain that the rootdirs.ini is only used by the Server or by Sesame itself if standalone. It is not used by the client.

If you or Ben have a spare minute this afternoon, give me a call so I can remote onto that system and see what is going on. I'm wondering if it's something strange where Windows is preventing access to that drive for some reason.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2016 at 1:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

No need to correct you. Rootdirs is server-side.

@insert and many other file commands are client-side and have nothing to do with rootdirs.ini. If the local file-mapping on this computer is different than the mapping on the others, then all of the client-side file operations would be different as well.

Blair,

The "[DRIVES]" directive in the rootdirs.ini file tells the server that it has access to the root directories on all of the available drives. This isn't very useful on a Linux server where all devices share the same root directory. But, if you are mapping drives using Samba, it depends on the Samba configuration. Under Windows (and sometimes Samba) you can have multiple root directories and each drive has their own root.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2016 at 12:26am
Print Post Print Post  
OK ... so if I start a standalone copy of Sesame on the offending terminal, I can see K:\ and S:\ mapped to this local computer.

When I launch a client session, all I can see is the local drive. 

I've re-copied my c:\Sesame2 folder over to the problem-child computer, and still doesn't work.

So, with everything you are saying, it may be a sharing or user permission related issue with the Windows 10 installation on this computer?  Samba is working fine, otherwise the client computer could not access S:\, and it can.

What sort of user permission settings in Windows 10 need to be looked at?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2016 at 6:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Blair,

When you say:
BWETTLAUFER wrote on May 5th, 2016 at 12:26am:
When I launch a client session, all I can see is the local drive. 

Where are you seeing only the local drive, What dropdown/dialog/etc?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2016 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray -- when I use the import/export function inside sesame running as a client, on this one select Windows 10 machine, it only sees the 'local directory', which is the server.  On my other client terminals (Windows 7 and Windows 10), it shows me the local directory, as well as two mapped drives.

If you want to do a Teamviewer session for me to show you, I have the problem terminal and a working terminal linked up ...

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2016 at 6:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Blair,

Yes, let's do a Teamviewer session so that I can see what is happening. You know my number.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged