Normal Topic Child forms, two questions (Read 936 times)
Zannion

Child forms, two questions
Jun 6th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have two projects I am looking to complete in the immediate future.  The first is to automatically sort child data forms by newest to oldest.  The second is to automatically copy information from one child form to another.

1) I am looking to see if there is any way that I can open up a parent form and have it sort by the most current child form first.  For example, here is what currently happens:

If we open a parent form that has multiple child forms, in our case estimates and work dates of various jobs, the child form that opens up is the first form to have been entered.  A great example of this is seen in the opening of a parent form, which has 10 child forms.  The first child form to open is from the date of first contact, which in this example is from 2009.  The 10th child form is the most up-to-date contact with this customer, being the most recent contact that we have had with this customer. 

My goal is to get that sorting to switch from first contact to most recent contact (ascending), to most recent contact to first contact (descending).  I want to eliminate as much additional work as necessary when data must be either entered or modified in these forms.  Currently when this example is opened, if a user wants to change the most up to date contact, which is the reason this record is being opened 99% of the time, they have to manually select the most up-to-date record first, then click into the record to make changes.  I would like to automate this step if possible, in an attempt to streamline the data entry.

I am unsure if there is the functionality to do so, and any help with this would be appreciated.

2) I would like to know if there is a way to copy the information from an established child form and forward this information into a new child form.  For example, if a customer contacts us about job type A, we provide them with pricing and availability for that job.  Yet we also attempt to provide to them pricing and availabilities on other job types.  When we do that, we create additional child forms for each separate job type.

What I would like to do is have sesame automatically copy over the information from one child form to another, in an attempt to again minimize the amount of data entry.  Most of our entry is simply checking boxes to highlight various circumstances that pertain to each job.  Yet when there are 27 boxes that can be checked, it can be very time consuming to check each applicable box on multiple forms.

So my goal is to enable some form of functionality in which this data can be transferred from one child form to another, with the focus of being as simple as possible.

Again, any help here would be appreciated as well.

Look into my eye...

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Child forms, two questions
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2013 at 1:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Both of these are covered in one article I wrote for Inside Sesame. It's titled "A Better Table View Subform Editor" in the October 2012 issue. You can purchase individual back issues here:
http://www.insidesesame.com/indexes/2012.asp

You wouldn't necessarily need to implement the subform editor. You could just learn the the techniques for accomplishing how to control the sorting of subforms, and how to move/copy subform data to another parent record.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged