Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sesame Nightly Backup procedure (Read 7889 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Sesame Nightly Backup procedure
Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
The 'backup' option within an Ap is good, but only for one ap at a time. I'm looking for a quick way to make nightly backups of numerous Sesame applications in a batch (or backup the entire sesame/data folder. )

Is it OK to COPY the DB and DAT files to another folder while they are being served?  While users are active in the application?

If not, then i have to find a way to notify remote users to log out so I can start the backup process.

Thanks for any insight.

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame Nightly Backup procedure
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:17pm:
The 'backup' option within an Ap is good, but only for one ap at a time. I'm looking for a quick way to make nightly backups of numerous Sesame applications in a batch (or backup the entire sesame/data folder. )

Is it OK to COPY the DB and DAT files to another folder while they are being served?

Generally yes, though the resulting file will be locked.

Quote:
 While users are active in the application?

Active - yes. Writing - no. You will want to suspend the server to prevent writes. This can be done using the process suspend in your OS, or can be done using the Sesame suspend command in the admin comand flags.

Quote:
If not, then i have to find a way to notify remote users to log out so I can start the backup process.

Thanks for any insight.

Steve

Using the Global Values commands and an active check, or the admin messaging, you could let them know to close forms etc...

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 5:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark. This is all good news and will help to minimize the server down time.

Sincerely,

Steve

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2011 at 10:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for discussing this topic. I have the same query. I backup all files in sesame2 folder with subfolders, locally as well as in the cloud, at night when nobody is actively working but many of the files will be loaded in server. What I understand from discussion that even the loaded files, .db and .dat files will be backed up fine only they would be locked if you ever have to restore them.

That is indeed a good news. As I want people to start working with the system early in a.m., so I have to leave server on and at times I closed the server and fresh started server again so, no files were loaded thinking that loaded file might not be backing up to restorable state.

Thanks for clarification.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 5:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
This seems to work well....

In a Windows environment, these three lines can be saved in a .bat file and run from any windows client.

sesame server will suspend
The xcopy command with /D will copy any CHANGED files to a backup folder. /Y will overwrite any existing files!
sesame server will continue

after running this batch file, you can then move/upload/encrypt the files in your /backup folder.

Seems to work well, but I think sesame requires a free client seat to run this routine.

(replace 'servername' and 'password' with your own info)

Code
Select All
c:\sesame2\program\sesame.exe -COMMAND servername:20020:20021 password SUSPEND
xcopy c:\sesame2\data\*.* c:\backups /D /Y
c:\sesame2\program\sesame.exe -COMMAND servername:20020:20021 password CONTINUE
pause

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 7:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
For the edification of Unix users: "cp -r" will do nicely in place of xcopy. And for all, the command line "sunlock" command can unlock the copied application files from a shell/batch file.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Excellent. And I suppose this batch file will run well from some sort of 'task manager' so it can run automatically each night around midnight, or so.

Very cool!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
On Unix, you would use "cron" or one of its alternatives to kick off a task on a schedule.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 7:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
BTW, have you tried using the sesame.ini file entries for backing up apps? These are server wide settings and don't require OS intervention.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just created and opened a sesame.ini file for the first time. I assume you are referring to BACKUP ON INTERVAL:

This sounds very convenient, but is this as 'safe' as the above batch file? (Will the server 'SUSPEND' any active clients before backing itself up?)

Off-topic, I see some other commands which piques my interest, but are not listed in the user's guide. Any documentation on TABLE DISPLAYS IMAGES? (images in table mode would be incredible!)

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:16pm:
I just created and opened a sesame.ini file for the first time. I assume you are referring to BACKUP ON INTERVAL:

This sounds very convenient, but is this as 'safe' as the above batch file? (Will the server 'SUSPEND' any active clients before backing itself up?)

I'm not sure which is "safer". I know the interval backup will wait until there are no active write operations. But it may be possible that a write op can occur after the backup has started. Unlikely though.

Quote:
Off-topic, I see some other commands which piques my interest, but are not listed in the user's guide. Any documentation on TABLE DISPLAYS IMAGES? (images in table mode would be incredible!)

Turn it on and give it a try. Is there anything in particular you want to know about it?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Then BACKUP ON INTERVAL should be a good option for a 2am backup routine. I'll keep it in mind.

I'm also reading up on CP and Cron commands in Linux.

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Images in table mode is a GREAT feature! I've steered our users away from table mode so often because I thought it could not display images. Nice to know it's possible.

Looks like my images need to be re-sized for a clean table appearance, and to keep the table responsive when working over an internet connection.

But at a glance, it looks terrific! Is there an option to 'force' the images to a specific size during display in table mode?

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 10:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve, one of the things Ubuntu does to make Linux more user-friendly is it tries as much as possible to use GUI programs instead of command lines.  I have never tried scheduling anything in Linux but before you get too deep in command shell programs, check out the Ubuntu Software repository. It's somewhere under Applications.  Chances are you'll find something there.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 5:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Steve_in_Texas wrote on Apr 8th, 2011 at 8:39pm:
But at a glance, it looks terrific! Is there an option to 'force' the images to a specific size during display in table mode?

Steve,
I'm not positive and its nearly 2 AM, but I think the width of a column is set by the width of the element it represents. An image will scale proportionally. So if you set the width, the height should scale so that the image is not stretched or squashed out of proportion.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print