Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) FTP command for Dummies (Read 1851 times)
jacker

FTP command for Dummies
Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm trying to use the FTP command to upload a file to my ftp server in what I thought was a very basic way...but I can't get it to work. My ftp server logs the successful login and upload, but no matter what file I "send", I open the resulting file and find all it contains is a line of text telling me the path and name of the sent file. The original data is nowhere to be found...

Ftp("ftp.myserver.net", "myftpuser", "myftppassword", "target.txt", "C:\testing123.txt")

"C:\testing123.txt" contains a paragraph of sample text.

On the ftp server I open the resulting file (target.txt) and it contains: C:\testing123.txt

...which is the name of the file I sent...but not what it contains.

Jack - I'm smokin' past the filter and it's burnin' my lips...
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: FTP command for Dummies
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
We're sorry, Jacker. There is an error in the printed documentation for this command. It has been corrected in the Errata and the List Browser (Ctrl-L from the Programming Editor). The last argument is the actual text to send, not the name of the file.

Try something like:

var vSource as String

vSource = @Insert("C:\testing123.txt")
Ftp("ftp.myserver.net", "myftpuser", "myftppassword", "target.txt", vSource)

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ok, thanks, I got that to work...

On to hurdle Number Two: How would I ftp something actually useful like a PDF or a Word doc since they are technically binary files?

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
I use File I/O to write the ftp commands dynamically to a text file, which I then use with @Shell and ftp -n -s.

My commands file (ftpcon.txt) might look like this:
open mysite.com
user my_username my_password
cd www
bin
send myfile.pdf
bye

My batch file - which I would run with @Shell - would look like this:
ftp -n -s:ftpcon.txt

- Hammer
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Cool, I think I can work with that. Thanks!

I will have to assume that the Windows ftp command will always be available and its syntax will not change across XP, Vista and 7.

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
jacker wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:53pm:
Cool, I think I can work with that. Thanks!

I will have to assume that the Windows ftp command will always be available and its syntax will not change across XP, Vista and 7.

FTP has been around for a looooong time, so hopefully Microsoft will not decide to "fix" it in any way.

- Hammer
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #6 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 2:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Perhaps I should have asked this question first...

The Scenario: My application is a candidate database for a job placement business. They have seven offices, two Sesame servers, and four different but almost identical Sesame applications. Some users connect to Sesame over the Internet, but the servers are dedicated to running Sesame and are NOT configured as web or ftp servers (and I don't want them to be, either).

My goal is to allow the user to upload and "attach" candidate resumes (Word or PDF) to a candidate record in the Sesame application. I assumed I would have to use a separate ftp server as a storage location for the resumes, hence my recent questions.

However, is there a communication method/protocol in the API for up- and downloading documents to the Sesame server *without* using FTP or HTTP? It would need to work over the Internet since some clients are remote (so Windows networking is not an option, unless I entertain a tunnel or something like that).

Perhaps the better method is to use Windows to expand the private network to include the remote users thereby bypassing the entire FTP method/problem, and use regular ol' File I/O instead?

This must be a fairly common problem...

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm not sure what to tell you, Jacker. FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. HTTP stands for Hypertext Transfer Protocol. The operative words in both these terms is "transfer protocol".  These are how you transfer files when you don't have direct network access.

There may be some way to manage this via a Rube Goldberg arrangement of email and/or encoding and/or external utilities, but there is probably a lot less complexity and points-of-failure in simply turning on FTP.

- Hammer
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
I understand the ramifications of ftp...I thought perhaps that since Sesame already opens the 2000x ports for communication that it had a method for transferring a file from a client to the server over that port.

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
jacker wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 2:57pm:
Perhaps I should have asked this question first...

The Scenario: My application is a candidate database for a job placement business. They have seven offices, two Sesame servers, and four different but almost identical Sesame applications. Some users connect to Sesame over the Internet, but the servers are dedicated to running Sesame and are NOT configured as web or ftp servers (and I don't want them to be, either).

Is there a particular reason not to run an FTP server? Is this a publicly available (on the internet) Windows box?

Quote:
My goal is to allow the user to upload and "attach" candidate resumes (Word or PDF) to a candidate record in the Sesame application. I assumed I would have to use a separate ftp server as a storage location for the resumes, hence my recent questions.

A separate bit of software, or a different computer?

Quote:
However, is there a communication method/protocol in the API for up- and downloading documents to the Sesame server *without* using FTP or HTTP? It would need to work over the Internet since some clients are remote (so Windows networking is not an option, unless I entertain a tunnel or something like that).

Perhaps the better method is to use Windows to expand the private network to include the remote users thereby bypassing the entire FTP method/problem, and use regular ol' File I/O instead?

This must be a fairly common problem...

Not a very common problem in that most people don't rule out using FTP or HTTP. Using Windows networking or even a Windows based server through an open internet connection is cumbersome and dangerous. Sharing files using Windows networking through a non-encrypted connection is likely to be very dangerous.

I would recommend running an FTP server on the same computer that is running the Sesame server. If that is impossible, you can encode the .doc and .pdf files using base64 encoding and embed them in a hidden linked element on the form. Then, on retrieval, provide a button that decodes them. You could also use the SBasic networking commands and a server side mass update to send the files.

Sesame3 has internal file transfer, but because server security is important, and we have had very little demand for it, it was never implemented in Sesame2.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

jacker

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sesame3 has internal file transfer, but because server security is important, and we have had very little demand for it, it was never implemented in Sesame2.

Sesame3??

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
jacker wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:01pm:
Quote:

Sesame3??

Working on it as we speak. Here is a S2 application loaded in S3 - with thumbnailed form selection:

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #12 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
When are we getting Sesame 3? Can we have a preview of some of the major changes and new features?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Looks great, Mark.

Please accept my vote for a client to server and client to client file transfer feature. Also, throw in an Instant Messaging chat feature while your at it!  Wink

Thanks!
Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:44pm:
When are we getting Sesame 3? Can we have a preview of some of the major changes and new features?

I don't have a release schedule from Lantica. I'll see if I can post some more about features. Probably should start a new thread for such.

Steve_in_Texas wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:10am:
Looks great, Mark.

Please accept my vote for a client to server and client to client file transfer feature. Also, throw in an Instant Messaging chat feature while your at it!  Wink

Thanks!
Steve

No votes needed. File transfer is already in there. Text chat is a breeze in either S2 or S3. But S3 will likely be able to do both text chat and AV chat.

IP Logged