Normal Topic Sesame Server Problems (Read 2841 times)
UPaul42
Members

been a Q&A user/programmer
since version 2.0

Sesame Server Problems
Nov 7th, 2010 at 4:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is predicated on the client clicking on an icon (shortcut) that has a direct request for the database application.
(i.e. Sesame -client SERVER g:\xxxx.db

If Sesame Server can't see the desired database but the Client can, the database will be hosed on attempted connection.
I have tested this more than once with different server setups with the same result.
This was on a Netware Server system.
The Sesame Server was configured on a workstation that was not logged into the network (where the database resides), the client was on a workstation that was logged into the network.
Upon the client attempting to open the database and error was shown (I forget the exact details). From that point on the database is frozen and it can't be unlocked.
This can cause a complete loss of data. Only the most recent backup will help.

Tongue

&&http://www.lantica.com/images/sespro_badges/sespro3.gif&&Paul Anderson&&President&&Systems-Consulting&&89 Main Street, Broad Brook CT 06016&&(860) 627-5393&&Sales@Systems-Consulting.com
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Sesame Server Problems
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2010 at 10:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are you sure that it's opening the application because the client can see the files, or that it's opening it because it was still in memory on the server?

I've done some experimenting with this. Here's the results:
1. I set up a mapped drive named Z: on computers A and B.
2. Started Sesame Server on computer A.
3. Opened Z:Test.db on computers A and B (via a shortcut with the app name on the target line).
4. Closed the app on both computers (Test.db stays loaded in Sesame Server).
5. Disconnected drive Z: from computer A (the computer where Sesame Server is running).
6. Opening Z:Test.db via the shortcut on either computer, gives a warning that "...one or more of the files...do not exist...", but then continues to open the application. It was able to open Test.db because it was still loaded in Sesame Server.

Did you shut down & restart Sesame Server to unload the copy in memory (you won't be able to unload it via Server Administration in this scenario), then try to open the app again from the remote client? If it opens this time, then it would appear that it's opening because the client can see the files. Otherwise, it must have been because the it was still loaded in Sesame Server.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

UPaul42
Members

since version 2.0

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 12:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
The scenario is that the Sesame Server machine, on power start up, does not yet have access to the mapped drive. In other words the drive mapping to the application has not been established.
The client does have a mapped drive letter and can see the application.

The client is trying to use the application with the Sesame Server as the control. The Sesame Server is running but can't see the application because it does not have access to the mapped drive. The application locks because the Sesame Server wants to control the users. The client can't get access because the Sesame Server can't provide control.

Following this lockup, the application is locked and can't be unlocked through server administration.

At this point the Sesame Server still does not have the drive mapping established.

Sad

&&http://www.lantica.com/images/sespro_badges/sespro3.gif&&Paul Anderson&&President&&Systems-Consulting&&89 Main Street, Broad Brook CT 06016&&(860) 627-5393&&Sales@Systems-Consulting.com
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 1:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hmmm... then I have no idea how that's happening. I can't recreate it here.

Looks like we'll have to see what Lantica thinks.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Looks like we'll have to see what Lantica thinks.

Yeah...  This is a new one. We haven't heard about anything like this before. We'll have to set it up and see if we can reproduce this here. What version of Sesame are you running for the server? What version of Sesame are you running for the client?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

UPaul42
Members

since version 2.0

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 2:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame Server and Client is 2.5.2

Smiley

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2010 at 10:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Paul,

I will try to set up a test case of this tomorrow. In the mean time, can you send to support@lantica.com the s2_log0000.log file from both the Client and the Server computer?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2010 at 5:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Paul,

From what I can see by looking at the log files, I am confused. If the Server does not have access to the mapped network drive yet, how are you able to try and unlock the files on the mapped drive? Server administration will only show files that it can see on the unlock tab.

Is the mapped drive mapped as another drive on the server computer?

The "hosed" files are they the correct size just can't be unlocked or opened?
Are either of the files set to be Read-Only?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 2:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Been away for a while, so I am getting caught up with some old postings.  This has probably been solved, but I recently had a similar problem with late mappings in a race condition.  It was not Sesame, but it sounds like the same symptoms.

Solution was to put NET USE commands in the batch file that ran to start the machine running the application (in this case the Sesame program on the server).  Had to use a few lines with /Delete for those instances when the mapping was already OK.  Adding the NET USE commands before the commands to run the application made this problem go away.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

UPaul42
Members

since version 2.0

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2011 at 12:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
I guess I forgot to get back to this. I am no longer able to test this problem. I resolved all my issues with a standalone system for the Sesame Server. The client is happy and so am I

IP Logged