Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Networking Question (Read 3323 times)

Networking Question
Jul 15th, 2010 at 8:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

I have a dumb question.  I recently purchased Sesame with an extra license (Sesame Plus).  I have two computers and I want both to be able to input data at the same time on one customer database.  With that in mind, I setup the programs with the shortcuts as outlined in the provided documentation.  Everything seems to be working.  The server status window shows my customer database is loaded, and that two computers are connected.  My problem is I don't know how to get the second computer to actually input data.  When I open it in client mode, I just have the sesame opening screen with no apparent network options to enter data into the loaded customer database.  I can login as a server admin on the second computer and I get no error messages saying it failed to connect.

Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Networking Question
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

Did you get any error messages when bringing up the 2nd client?
On the second client under Open Application do you see your customer file listed?
If you do you will just need to open that file in order to enter data into it.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't see it listed, how do I point it to it?  All I see are local files on the second computer, not the customer database on the server/second computer.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Also, I get no error messages.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

In the properties of Sesame on the Second computer in the target do you have

c:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe -client ServerName

Where ServerName is the name of the 1st computer that is running Sesame Server?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Also, I tried sharing the folder where the customer.db file is located and pasting the network path in the "my recent files" text file so I could just click on the database in the program.

It shows up but when I click on it it says the file is locked and is in use.  I expected as much but it was the only other thing I could think of to do.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, I haved that typed into the shortcut to the program on the desktop on the second computer.  In the server administration window I can see both computers listed by the names I game them as well.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
But would I be able to login as a server administrater on the second computer if it wasn't connected to the server?  It shows all the "extra" options that don't show up in stand alone mode, including the computers on the server as well as the loaded application.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

Give me a call tomorrow at 1-800-293-9549 anytime from 9-5 Eastern and I'll help you get this figured out.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2010 at 9:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK, thanks!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 7:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
I tried calling the support number given and no one answered or gave me a call back after I left a message.  I'll try calling again when I have the chance, but in the meanwhile I thought I'd post on here quick again to see if there is something obvious I'm missing that I can fix without calling (seems like the support line is pretty busy).

So to review, basically I have my two computers networked with one of them containing the database I want to work on.  I bought an extra license and have activated it in each program.  

Here's a description of the steps I'm currently taking to try to load my database over the network, maybe you can tell me if I'm doing something wrong that's obvious:  

I first load the server on my main computer with the -server shortcut I created.  It loads the server status window and after this has come up I open Sesame with the -client shortcut I created.  Once Sesame has opened, I load the customer database I want to work on.  Once loaded, the customer database is shown as loaded in the server status window (as well as showing 1 of 2 connections).

After this, I go to my second computer and open Sesame with the -client shortcut I created.  Once I do this, Sesame opens but nothing happens.  However, if I go back to the server status window, it shows there is now another connection, and if I login to the server admin window it shows both computers on the network.  Also, I receive no error messages when trying to connect.

So, I have a feeling I'm missing something stupidly obvious.  I just need to get the second computer to open up the customer database I have loaded on the first so that both can edit and retrieve records simultaneously.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 7:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

What date and time did you leave a message? I'll check the call logs and see if I can't find out what happened.

From what you are saying on the second computer all you should have to do is Click Open Application and you'll see a list of files that are on the Server computer, The list should look exactly the same as it does on the first computer. If you choose your customer database off the list it'll open the same file that is open on the client on the first computer.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
It was Friday at around 3 central time.  It's not a big deal I didn't get a call back, I called late in the day and right before the weekend.

When I click open application on the second computer I don't see my customer database file.  Does the customer database file I want to work with have to be stored in the default directory that Sesame uses to save things in?  I have the database file in a different folder than the one Sesame uses by default.

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
You may have to share the folder on the server computer and map a drive to it from the second computer.

Edited:
You never need to do this when running client/server. - Hammer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
There's no need to share the folder.