Normal Topic Printstring() issues with Retrieved Data (Read 1506 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Printstring() issues with Retrieved Data
May 13th, 2008 at 3:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
When I have the code below (at bottom of this post) directly in my Sbasic it prints perfect with my printstring() commands. But if I retrieve it from an element in another database  using xlookup directly below it is all screwed up

vLTRTEXT  = @XLookUp(@FN, VltrNum, "Letters!LetterNum", "LetterText")

I thought it might have something to do with multiline text element vs single line but I get the same results either way I set the element. I tried some @replace(vLTRTEXT, @chr(9), ";") type stuff but never got it correct.

What am I missing?

Thanks

vLTRTEXT =  "      Enclosed please find the information that " + vofereeSalesPerson + " requested we send to you about our "+ propertyName +
                " Project. The Attached documents will outline the history, challenges, opportunity, and the details of the offering." +
     @NewLine() + @NewLine() +

"      Hopefully this packet will answer any questions you have regarding the property and why we have chosen this " +
     "property to invest in." +

@NewLine() + @NewLine() +  "       We have also included a little background information on  and his previous "+
     " successes putting together similar investments.  If you have any questions that are not answered in the following "+
     "pages, please feel free to call " + vofereeSalesPerson + " at " + vSalesPersonPhone + "." +

@NewLine() + @NewLine() + "       Please read and sign the attached paperwork and return it to us in the self addressed " +
     "stamped envelope included." +

@NewLine() + @NewLine() + "       Thank you for giving us this opportunity to show you why Group of Companies "+
     "has been a reliable, respected and admired source of quality real estate investments for 50 years." +

@NewLine() + @NewLine() + @NewLine() + 
     "                                  Group of Companies"

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Printstring() issues with Retrieved Data
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2008 at 3:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Robert,

Can you elaborate more on "it is all screwed up"?

Do you have a sample of this you can send in that I can look at?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2008 at 4:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

I sent 2 pdf to you that shows the difference between the outputs. I would bet I am gettig some kind of embedded char when I use the lookup. But I cant figure it out.

Thanks

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2008 at 4:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Robert,

Part of the problem is that that value in the external file is Exactly what you have in programming. For example in programming you have

Code
Select All
"	 Thank you for giving us this opportunity to show you why Group of Companies "+
     "has been a reliable, respected and admired source of quality real estate investments for 50 years." +

@NewLine() + @NewLine() + @NewLine() +
     "					    Group of Companies"  

In the external file all you would need is

Quote:
      Thank you for giving us this opportunity to show you why Group of Companies has been a reliable, respected and admired source of quality real estate investments for 50 years.

Group of Companies

The plus signs are not going to be resolved when grabbing them from an external source. At that point they are a character just like any other and not an operator.

Now in order to get the Variables in there you will need to do @Replace statements on the text that you grab from the external file. Similiar to

Code
Select All
vLTRTEXT = @Replace(vLTRTEXT, "vofereeSalesPerson", vofereeSalesPerson) 

That will replace the static text of vofereeSalesPerson with the value that is in vofereeSalesPerson.

Let me know if you need any help Robert,
-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2008 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray  Smiley

As usual you solved my problem. Customer Service at its BEST!

IP Logged