Normal Topic OCR recommendations? (Read 1575 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

OCR recommendations?
Dec 11th, 2007 at 8:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
My boss wants me to find some magic OCR hardware/software that will seamlessly scan forms that require absolutely no editing of formatting of text.

Any recommendations or warnings from our folks in the field?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: OCR recommendations?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 12:56am
Print Post Print Post  
If you have Microsoft Office 2003 or Microsoft Office 2007 installed you have something called Microsoft Office Document Imaging, or MODI, which can perform OCR on Tiff and BMP files and is scriptable. If you capture the screen, or a window, to a bitmap file, you can use MODI to perform OCR on the screen, or a window, to get its text.

If running Office 2007 MODI is not installed by default.
Run your office setup and select from the installation options to install the MODI components.

-----------------------

OmniPage from Nuance (formerly by ScanSoft) has been successful for some of my application needs, but over $100.  Try MODI first if already have files and need OCR.  OmniPage will work with physical scanner hardware to scan and do OCR or just save in different formats.

---------------------------

Also mentioned OmniFormat in an earlier posting to covert images into PDF files.  Direct output from scanner directly to a "PDF Folder" and process is done..  Since you need no processing, this may be a good software solution that will work with any scanner.

Any volume of scanning does require a stack feeder of some sort. 
Manually insertng pages, aligning, handling covers, etc. is too much wasted effort.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2007 at 1:56am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Re: OCR recommendations?
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 2:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
We use omni page pro-14, I got it off e-bay for less than $10.00. It is the best software I've seen in a while for the money.  Wink

IP Logged