Normal Topic Opening a Form with a Result Set (Read 951 times)
MP

Opening a Form with a Result Set
Nov 28th, 2007 at 2:18am
Print Post Print Post  
I would like to use the information on one form to create a result set and open it up on another form.  Can I do this, and if so, how?

The specifics of my situation are that I have a one-to-many relationship which is not implemented using subforms.  This is intentional, particularly because I don't want the user to be able to create child records from the parent record, and partly because the child records are themselves complex (as they have children and complex business logic).  Thus, I'd rather just present a simple list of child records on the parent record, and then allow the user to be able to select a particular child record and click a button to edit it by bringing up a form from the child record's database.  I'm going to use a list box as my presentation object.  I just can't figure out how, once the user selects an item in the list box, to bring up the appropriate child record in Update mode.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Opening a Form with a Result Set
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 2:24am
Print Post Print Post  
There are ways to do this with a combination of ClientLocalValue and @SelectTreeItem. However, I'm not gonna tell you what they are.  Smiley

This is because we wrote a new command recently to create an XResultSet and open a form directly onto it. This will be out with the 2.0.4 release. It does what you want without the need to pass values around your app.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

MP

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 2:24am:
There are ways to do this with a combination of ClientLocalValue and @SelectTreeItem.

Tricky.  Now I see where the On Form Reveal event can come in handy.  What are the odds we'll see 2.0.4 in the next week or so?  Otherwise, I may have to use your old school method.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
MP wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 11:28pm:
What are the odds we'll see 2.0.4 in the next week or so?  Otherwise, I may have to use your old school method.

We're planning to pack it tomorrow. We should have the setup packages back and ready to go early next week.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged