Normal Topic Time to give up Q&A (Read 1805 times)
TAXBSTR

Time to give up Q&A
Jul 10th, 2007 at 4:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
After about 15 years of using Q&A I think it's time to move on  Cry

The system has become unstable, databases lock, system crashes, loses records and now won't let me spec new reports.  It's run on a network and doesn't seem to like it one bit.

I have hundreds of databases with lots of programming.  Been running a biz on Q&A for years.  

As I've been resistent to a) learning a whole new programming language and b) doing the conversion to a new program -- Sesame seems to be a less painful option that other programs.  

From now till Sept is somewhat of a slow period and i'm considering doing the conversion now figuring it will take sometime to be completely up and running.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Time to give up Q&A
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Follow the instructions in the Translation Guide.
Try the tutorial.
Do your simplest database first.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Time to give up Q&A
Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2007 at 5:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
TAXBSTR,

Take it 1 step at a time. I really recommend looking at the sample databases to see what can be done. Do not get stuck in the past by trying to replicate exactly what you did in Q&A. You will see as you go that Sesame will offer you much better options to accomplish your tasks. (Especially Sesame 2.0) Keep an open mind! I can not tell you how many times I said or heard others say “I don’t like the way Sesame does that” only to learn after using it that Sesames way was incredible and I / we were just afraid of change.

On a personal note I highly recommend taking the classes that Hammer Data offers on Sesame. Erika is an amazing teacher and you will save lots of time in the long run and do a much better job after the time you spend in her classes.  If you do not already subscribe to Inside Sesame the monthly newsletter, sign up immediately. The articles and tips are invaluable.

Remember the forum is always here to help. Use the search feature to get a goldmine of knowledge and as I have found, the people here on the forum, Users and Lanticans both are the best. Everyone is helpful and non-judgmental. They have saved my Bu** a thousand times. They are the best!

Good Luck and let me know if I can help in any way.  Smiley

Robert

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged