Normal Topic Repartitioning C: Drive (Read 2768 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

Repartitioning C: Drive
Mar 2nd, 2007 at 9:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have someone asking me to help them join a 2GB partition to their primary partition, making just one large partion.

I rememeber years ago that Partition Magic could do that without loosing the data. Does anyone have any advise besides purchasing Partition Magic (or reinstalling the OS) to accomplish this? Any freeware products out there that you have tried for this?

Thanks.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Re: Repartitioning C: Drive
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2007 at 10:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Its according to the operating system I done it two nights ago with xp-pro, I deleted several partitions, using a cd called "Ulimate Boot Disk" http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ for a small charge it can be downloaded. I used the ranish partition manager to delete the unwanted  partitions and then saved the changes, then with the mbr tool I installed a generic mbr code, and when I rebooted the drive was back to 200gb and xp didn't wimper abit.
Be warned anything can go wrong be prepared if it does !  Wink

IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 6:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Depends on what you want to spend, whether there are 'hidden' partitions (like on our Sony VAIO's), and possible other factors.  We repartitioned two laptops without any problems using Acronis software to both backup and partition the drives (separate packages).  For an unrelated major problem recently, I had to use a year-old backup (external hard drive) and it worked fine.  No argument with anyone else, but I'm not a big fan of trusting Unka Bill's Win-Mystics for anything other than necessary.  Just upgrading the WinXP Home which came on the VAIO's to XP Pro caused problems (Microsoft offers no guarantees it will not blow away drivers, etc.).

I have used Partition Magic in the past, however, the reviews I researched before final decisions and the live tech support I wanted helped make the difference.  Acronis is not perfect, but it seems solid.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I habe always used Partition Magic in the past. 

I recently purchased a copy on line, needed immediately, on site at client's site.  Could not download it, got horrible support,4 hours on the phone, canceled the order.  I then purchased Partition Commander from VCom, used it effectively, no issues.  Almost identical to Partitiion Magic, cheaper, and no support problems.

XP-PRO does have partitioning tool in OS, but it needs some unallocated space or you cannot use it.  If you get new drives in the future, make sure that some free space is made available at the beginning so that you can use the built in Disk Partitioning tools.

Is it necessary to make one large partition?  Keep the 2Gb partition and use for the swap files for increased performance.  That will also free up space on the primary that is being used by swap file now.  So you get the space on the primary, get better performance, and don't need to merge partitions.  Shocked

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 5:18am
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you to everyone for the input.

johnbits:
What do you mean by "Unka Bill's Win-Mystics"? Is that, in some way, slang for Ultimate Boot CD?

Bob wrote: >Is it necessary to make one large partition?
They're trying to reclaim that space because they have a program they want to install that needs more room. I haven't seen this machine yet. This is from what they are telling me. They say it's a 10 GB drive with just the OS on it. I don't think Win XP needs more than 4-5 GB. I suspect I can free up more space from recycle bin, temp Internet files, etc.

>XP-PRO does have partitioning tool in OS, but it needs some unallocated space or you cannot use it.
All my drives have every bit allocated, so I can't check this out. Are you saying that if the 2 GB partition is deleted, I might get XP to merge that to the primary partition?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 4:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Carl.

No, just a joking reference to my general avoidance on Microsoft's "came with Windows" utilities.  Unless one is using Linux or a Mac and depends on Windows, there is a certain amount of "industry standard" choices we all have to accept will be in use by a majority of users (and clients).  However, I have been the victim of Microsoft poor design and support too many times and therefore always have and probably always will research heavily alternatives that are more reliable, better supported, and less cryptic than what Microsoft "allows" us in their offerings.  Having just experienced several weeks of major issues on my laptop including the STILL useless information provided in events like the "blue screen of death", I am painfully reminded that there is a high emphasis on income and dominance and little concern for providing useful, reliable tools and products from a company which seems to embody the motto "We don't care, we don't have to--we're Microsoft."  Hard to reconcile when you contrast it with the kind of concern, involvement, clarityand support provided by companies like Lantica.

A side note--I have several VCom products and it would have been my second choice for repartitioning also.  They do produce a variety of low-cost products.  They are more limited in scope usually and are not perfect, but worth a look for sure.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2007 at 9:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl, perhaps I was not clear about the swap file.  That is probably now taking up huge amounts of Drive C as the default location for that file.

If you change the swap file to use Drive D(2 Gb partition now), you will free up that space on Drive C.  And when swap file is needed it will be done on Drive D vs. C, which be be faster, and will also result in less fragmentation.

Go to My Computer/Properties/Advanced Tab/Performance Settings/Advanced Tab/Virtual Memory/Change.
Customize settings vs. using default system settings.  Use Drive D vs. Drive C  Once the setting is made, and you know it is done on Drive D, you may need to delete the swap file from Drive C.  I believe the file name on XP is pagefile.sys on the root of C:\.

If you see a file name hiberfil.sys, also delete that and turn off hibernation option.  Probably not needed unless hibernation is critical need.  Wastes a lot of space.

In addition to Partition Commander I have used VCOM's Power Desk as a replacement for Windows Explorer.  Has many more features including built in FTP, file filtering, file viewing, user defined toolbars, favorites, and many other options.  Been using Power Desk for many years, also use OpenPlus to have user defined application open files vs. Windows single file associations.  Very happy with VCOM products so far.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2007 at 5:39am
Print Post Print Post  
johnbits wrote on Mar 4th, 2007 at 4:12pm:
No, just a joking reference to my general avoidance on Microsoft's "came with Windows" utilities.

Duh! Roll Eyes
I should have realized that "Unka Bill" meant Bill Gates.

Bob_Hansen wrote on Mar 4th, 2007 at 9:24pm:
Carl, perhaps I was not clear about the swap file.  That is probably now taking up huge amounts of Drive C as the default location for that file.

If you change the swap file to use Drive D(2 Gb partition now), you will free up that space on Drive C.  And when swap file is needed it will be done on Drive D vs. C, which be be faster, and will also result in less fragmentation.

Oh, now I understand you. Thanks, that sounds like the simplest (and cheapest) solution.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged