Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Too Many Records (Read 2096 times)
NightHawk

No personal text

Too Many Records
Feb 12th, 2007 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have been using Sesame for a year now and its wonderful.. My issue is that I have 160,000 records in it now, and soon will grow by 20,000 every month. My system is already working at a snail's pace.  If we grab ALL records.. it locks up for about 30 minutes while it does its thing.  How can we speed up this process.. I cannot delete the records as they are used on a regular basis.  Any advice??? Shocked

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Too Many Records
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
What "thing" is it doing when you grab all records? Nothing it does normally should be taking so long.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

NightHawk

No personal text

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 8:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
the "thing" is  "WORKING" and locks everyone up

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 8:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Again, nothing Sesame does in ordinary operation takes that long. There may be some programming that could use some optimization or something like that.

Sesame shows "Working" in many circumstances. In order to help, we need more specific information about what you do to cause this. Does it happen when you press F10 from the retrieve spec? When you run a particular report? When you try to open Table View? What do you do or press that kicks off this 30 minute process?

- Hammer
IP Logged

NightHawk

No personal text

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Its actually sorting... so if we are looking up all records with an open date of 3/10/04... this locks it up....  Also this is the case every morning when the first person logs into Sesame.. it takes a good 20 minutes to load, then it lets everyone else in immediately

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
How much RAM do you have on the server? What are the file sizes of the db and dat files?

- Hammer
IP Logged

NightHawk

No personal text

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
3.06 Ghz Intel Proc and 2 gig RAM...  as far as size: DAT file is 239MB, DBF 12.1MB
Thank you for helping me...

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
At this point, a client-server configuration issue would be the first thing I'd look for. A long load time for the first client followed by everyone else able to get in right away is correct , since the first person loads the app onto the server, but the 20 minutes is pretty long, even for an app of that size. Is the application on the same computer as Sesame server? Or is there a mapped drive involved?

As to the sorting, how many records do you have with an open date of 3/10/04? If you type 3/10/2004 in the correct field and press F10, is shouldn't be getting and sorting the whole 160,000. How many fields are you sorting by? We can sort over 100,000 records here in only a few seconds.

- Hammer
IP Logged

NightHawk

No personal text

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Each user has a mapped drive to a standalone server... However, this is more of a peer to peer environment..  All computers are XP and do NOT have a Microsoft Client Access License (CAL's)...  Do I need to use an actual server and CAL's?

The loading of the Application is not done on the server... only on their local computer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 9:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
This explains the speed issues.  Smiley

It sounds like your client-server configuration isn't. This means that you are probably dragging everything across the net, possibly several times. It also means that you may not actually be using your 2GB of RAM. However, this does not make sense based on your description of how the first person takes a while to load, but then the next users are able to get in immediately.

This needs sorted out. Get in touch with Support about your client-server setup and they can help you get straightened out.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am curious about the number of users on the peer-to-peer network? 
And what is the typical number of concurrent users (using at the same time) on the Sesame application?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

NightHawk

No personal text

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe I mis-spoke...   I thought I needed an actual Microsoft seat license.  According to Jon Mc, I am client- server.. even though I have mapped each computer to the Sesame Server... jon just explained that no mapping is necessary.. I deleted the mapping on my computer and tried Sesame and it does work fine.. I dont need Microsoft CAL's. I have a 19 user license from Lantica... so now I am back at square 1..  So far 15 people at a time are on Sesame.. and it does crawl along when searching thru all the records...

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Which is crawling - searching or sorting? Is there a programmed retrieve spec being used?

- Hammer
IP Logged

NightHawk

No personal text

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is no programmed retrieve Spec... we just use the basic commands (such as in Q&A).  Actually it is SORTING that is taking the most time... I asked my assistant specifics.. she was looking for All records in which a particular field contained a specific piece of info, then the system flashed and the bar with the block moving back and forth came on and said sorting, this is what took 30 minutes...  she did this again about an hour later for a different field and it took 40 minutes... Shocked

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 10:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorting 160,000 records can take a long time especially if there are a lot of ties. However, we were able to sort 386,000 records with a lot of ties by five fields in about 14 minutes with only 1GB of RAM.

How many records is she sorting? How many fields is she sorting by? Are a lot of the values being sorted the same (lots of ties)?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print